An idea: A weekend quickie?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

An idea: A weekend quickie?

Post by Andy K. »

After watching Adventures 15, the gang made a mario clone in a night, and it gave me an idea.

What if every once in awhile on a weekend or something we do like a quickie thing where we make stupid, funny, simple games, and we only have a 24 hour time limit. We could use anything to make the game... code it, use pre-existing engines, etc. It just had to be done in 24 hours.

I'd love to see what creative things everyone could come up with! :lol:
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Re: An idea: A weekend quickie?

Post by programmerinprogress »

I set myself a similar task a few month back.

I built a simple game engine, for a platform game, but I wanted to see what I could do with the thing, so I built a little puzzle game, I was surprised how flexible the engine was.

The game was called match up, and I made it in about 2 days (it cant be found here http://www.programmerinprogress.com/page6.htm)

I think it would be really interesting if we saw a bit of this idea on the forums ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

I'd love to participate, but I already have enough "Project A D D" as it is... It takes everything I've got to stay working on one project and not jump on something shiny and new.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I'm in the same position as Trufun. Maybe if people like us who are busy could contribute to ADD projects, rather than writing our own...
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

ah you two might have a point there. It would be pretty distracting to a lot of people. :lol: Not to mention might totally demotivate people from their current projects.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Well, the good thing about Elysian Shadows is that I have never felt like working on anything else. Every project that has ever failed for me was because I found something that I would rather do instead and got sidetracked.

I've decided that there's honestly nothing that I would rather write than ES. After a year of working on the project, I would still choose ES over any project or side project any day. If I take a break from ES, it's taking a break from programming/game development all together, because if I'm doing them, I want to work on ES.
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

Aye, I need a project that I can feel passionate about. I have a notebook full of ideas that I keep scribbling down. (one of the ideas is a Wolfenstein remake where all the enemies are hot women. And it's called Return to Sexy Castle Wolfenstein... As you can see that probably won't ever get made :lol: ) But I just do small projects where I barely finish because I get so frustrated with the project by the end that I'm just happy to be done with it.

I'm glad you speak so well over ES. To be honest, I don't even care much about ES in the sense that it's an indie RPG, but what I care about is the open mindedness to deving on the Dreamcast, and more importantly spreading Dreamcast awareness through the Adventure vids. ;) Not to mention the whole team is going through it in a professional manner.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

Andy K. wrote:Not to mention the whole team is going through it in a professional manner.
You have no idea..

:lol:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

cypher1554R wrote:
Andy K. wrote:Not to mention the whole team is going through it in a professional manner.
You have no idea..

...If only they could see the private development forum.

But hey, we really have been doing it professionally. We have had bitching in between the professionalism, but overall, I would say everything has been great.

We plan to make the entire private development forum public so that everybody can see behind the scenes. Everything that we have ever done to ES has been preserved in that forum. Including all team fights and stuff, haha.

..and Marcel's admitting to masturbating with bologna rather than devving one weekend.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

GyroVorbis wrote:..and Marcel's admitting to masturbating with bologna rather than devving one weekend.
bonus points for creativity. It never occurred to me to check the fridge for artificial vaginas.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

GyroVorbis wrote:
cypher1554R wrote:
You have no idea..

...If only they could see the private development forum.

But hey, we really have been doing it professionally. We have had bitching in between the professionalism, but overall, I would say everything has been great.

We plan to make the entire private development forum public so that everybody can see behind the scenes. Everything that we have ever done to ES has been preserved in that forum. Including all team fights and stuff, haha.

..and Marcel's admitting to masturbating with bologna rather than devving one weekend.

And yeah, you're right. Professionalism isn't about bichin or not, but keeping to ourselves the sh*t that others don't need to know about.. well.. until the time comes that is :)
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

I meant mostly, being able to get stuff done. :lol:

Like in the vids, usually the dudes are telling each other to get to work inbetween fooling around.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Every time that I see this topic, I keep thinking of going over to some hot girl's house, going about business, then leaving on a weekend. Then I click the topic and am slightly disappointed!

</off topic>
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

GyroVorbis wrote:Every time that I see this topic, I keep thinking of going over to some hot girl's house, going about business, then leaving on a weekend. Then I click the topic and am slightly disappointed!

</off topic>
I really wanted to post a pic that was NSFW, but I realized that you surf the forums a lot when you're at work, and probably so do others... So I won't. But damn, it really kills me inside that I can't post it...
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Not that I'm endorsing making any part of our forum X-rated, but we have spoiler tags that hide anything. Used to use them because the {code} wasn't a codeblock thing with a scrollbar, it was a huge long div.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
abc
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.