Hobbyist or Professional?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Re: Hobbyist or Professional?

Post by programmerinprogress »

avansc wrote:id rather be a great mathematician than a great programmer.
but wouldn't it just drive you crazy being able to play around with all those numbers and have nothing to do with them? :lol:

seriously though, I agree RyanPridgeon (because i'm incredibly biased!) I feel accomplishment from creating efficient algorithms and improving things (like when you write out a heap of code that works, but then you think of a much shorter way of doing it ;) )

So I would probably end up preferring to be an expert programmer (although I wouldn't exactly frown upon being an expert mathmetician)

then again, I don't know what it is to be an expert mathmetician or programmer so my opinion is fairly redundant :P
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

programmerinprogress wrote:
avansc wrote:id rather be a great mathematician than a great programmer.
but wouldn't it just drive you crazy being able to play around with all those numbers and have nothing to do with them? :lol:

seriously though, I agree RyanPridgeon (because i'm incredibly biased!) I feel accomplishment from creating efficient algorithms and improving things (like when you write out a heap of code that works, but then you think of a much shorter way of doing it ;) )

So I would probably end up preferring to be an expert programmer (although I wouldn't exactly frown upon being an expert mathmetician)

then again, I don't know what it is to be an expert mathmetician or programmer so my opinion is fairly redundant :P
Alot of the AS maths course helps you directly with programming problems, especially in such things as game development :P

Mechanics, Decision Maths... all these things are quite helpful :P
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I would have to say that the fun part of being a professional is the road you take to get there :)