Hobbyist or Professional?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Hobbyist or Professional?

Post by Andy K. »

Hey Hey everybody,

I know a lot of you are quite younger, and some are the same age as me, but here is a good question... Do you ever want to code or design professionally or do you want to just always be a coder in your free time for fun, or go totally indie? My friend Edmund M. (Meat Boy, Gish, Dead Baby Dress-up) has lived his entire life making a living off indie games.

So what do you think about yourself?

Myself, well I'm in school right now to do it professionally, but who knows what I'll do after I graduate. I love the idea of indie games and developing without big companies, but I like to get paid too. So I'm a bit in between at the moment.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Hobbyist or Professional?

Post by Falco Girgis »

My career path is with the government right now. I'm cooping as a test engineer. My supervisor has said that he can get me a government position if I continue on when I graduate. Working for the government has tons of benefits, job security, and great pay.

Sooner or later I'm going to have a huge internal battle about whether I want to endure shitty hours with worse pay and benefits to do what I love, or have a cushy, secure, well paying job that I don't like doing as much.

We shall see.
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

GyroVorbis wrote:My career path is with the government right now. I'm cooping as a test engineer. My supervisor has said that he can get me a government position if I continue on when I graduate. Working for the government has tons of benefits, job security, and great pay.

Sooner or later I'm going to have a huge internal battle about whether I want to endure shitty hours with worse pay and benefits to do what I love, or have a cushy, secure, well paying job that I don't like doing as much.

We shall see.
Ah yes, I've been in that situation before, and took the WRONG career path... *facepalm*

Government jobs ARE cushy dude, that's going to be one hell of a decision. You could do what a lot of people I know do, stay in those cushy jobs and self-fund your indie developing lifestyle! Hell, I know 50 year olds who are doing this! :lol:
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

I'm currently a college student(UK sixth form), but I hope to get onto a Computer Science Degree course, hopefully when I graduate, I'll try and get a job as a programmer (I'm not sure if I want to do games or simply applications, I think I would be happy with either,but I haven't quite decided yet)

I definitely want to be a professional programmer, I currently study business at A2 (and I have my GCSE), so I hope to perhaps start a software company one day (but that's a long time in the future), but to answer your original question, I would love to be a professional programmer.

Did I say AS?, I mean't A-Level, i'm in the 2nd year! :lol:
Last edited by programmerinprogress on Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by M_D_K »

I'm a hobbyist right now, but looking to go pro.

I'm doing A level stuff right now so I kinda have to fight for time.
Gyro Sheen wrote:you pour their inventory onto my life
IRC wrote: <sparda> The routine had a stack overflow, sorry.
<sparda> Apparently the stack was full of shit.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

I also want to emphasize that I'm a Computer Engineer not Computer Science major.
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

GyroVorbis wrote:I also want to emphasize that I'm a Computer Engineer not Computer Science major.
oh right, I remember you making fun of the CS nerds... Isn't that right, XxStillavirgin69xX :lol:
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

Andy K. wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:I also want to emphasize that I'm a Computer Engineer not Computer Science major.
oh right, I remember you making fun of the CS nerds... Isn't that right, XxStillavirgin69xX :lol:
Which reminds me, that I guess either CS students at your school don't take math, or they're scared of it. CS people around here have to take up to Calc 3.

I'm more interested in pursuing my own stuff right now, but once I graduate I'm going to apply at some smaller, start-up game companies (Black Lantern, while not making very impressive games, is pretty close to me).
'Til graduation, I'm doing data entry for a mutual fund company. I can barely get my 20 hours a week, though, and I might have to find something else. :|
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

i dont know if i would call the creator of gish an indy developer.
i would consider him a "professional".

and actually you have to be very carful with the word professional, because strictly speacing scomputer scientist are not professionals.

to be considered a professional there are some things your "profession" need to adhear by.

1. you have to get a degree from a certified institution. ie univirsity.
2. you have to be certified by some sort of board (computer science does not have a body like this)
3. your skill has to be of importance and great need. (some say computer science falls here but some say no.)

a doctor is a prime example of what a professional is. they go to univirsity, they have to be board certified, and their skill is greatly needed.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

avansc wrote:i dont know if i would call the creator of gish an indy developer.

and actually you have to be very carful with the word professional, because strictly speacing scomputer scientist are not professionals.

to be considered a professional there are some things your "profession" need to adhear by.

2. you have to be certified by some sort of board (computer science does not have a body like this)
3. your skill has to be of importance and great need. (some say computer science falls here but some say no.)

a doctor is a prime example of what a professional is. they go to univirsity, they have to be board certified, and their skill is greatly needed.
You're waaaay too literal, dude :lol:
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

I mean, I don't do really math-based subjects at A-Level, I do Computing though, which is sufficient at most Universities.

I have a fairly good understanding of my subjects, even though I'm not really an expert mathematician, I can understand why it would be useful in many respects, but they didn't really encourage me to take math-based subjects (although when I enquired about Edinburgh Uni, they wanted maths at A-Level)

There's kind of a divide in our computing class though (I'm saying this at the risk of someone in my class seeing this, if they happen to stumble on this forum), one side, are the maths/physics people, they sort of think they know it all, they play games constantly, and talk about them, at the top of their voice, all lesson!, they annoy the hell out of me.
Then there's my side, we're quieter, but we still have a laugh, we're not always talking about games, and we generally get on with the work, we usually also get the praise from our teacher, as we usually solve the problems they've set us first, it's good :)

I think the overall culture is a little different in the UK, we do our maths/science/English up until we're 16, then we get left to our own devices, and choose what we want to do (we choose based on our uni entry requirements I guess)
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Right now I\'m a hobbyist but my college education is geared toward becoming a professional. I don\'t have nearly as much time as needed to really keep this up as a hobby and do my real job(IT Tech), but I get paid well for my lack of college degree, so I\'m expecting a lower salary when I do get into an entry level programming position. I wish I could do some programming on the side at work or something to add to the resume, but nothing at my job requires any bit of it. And the network team locks down much of anything that I could throw together in a VBscript that would be useful around here.

I\'m one of those CS freaks and I don\'t know about typical CS majors, but my degree is in Software Engineering with the major in Game Programming and my school requires me to take a class in algebra, Cal 1&2, and discrete math... that seems like a healthy dose of math to me, I don\'t know if it really is or not.

So yeah, I hope to go Pro one day, but I really need to work on more game projects to add to a portfolio or something. I am working on an engine as we speak, based off a book and I hope to make some real progress soon.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Andy K. wrote:

You're waaaay too literal, dude :lol:
thats now my definitions DUDE....
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

They (teachers) really hammer this into our head in CS classes at my Uni for some reason.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

LusikkaMage wrote:They (teachers) really hammer this into our head in CS classes at my Uni for some reason.
What, the fact that you aren't technically professionals? Lol, nice.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted: