I cant figure out how to program. Does this mean I have a lo

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Levio91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

I cant figure out how to program. Does this mean I have a lo

Post by Levio91 »

I cant figure out how to program. Does this mean I have a low iq? I cant understand tutorials in books ( I checked out a visual c++ guide and a c++ for dummies book at my library) I also cant understand online tutorials. I heard falco just reads the books and learns how to program, why cant i do this?
"Criticism is something you can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing. " - Aristotle

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: I cant figure out how to program. Does this mean I have a lo

Post by Falco Girgis »

I didn't even start off with C/++. I would choose another language to start with. My path was like HTML to Javascript to Perl to dabbling in a bit of BlitzPlus to C/++.

Any dumbass can learn HTML. I wasn't exactly smart either. I gradually worked my way up. I think starting with a scripting language is always easier than jumping into C or C++.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

I've said this on these forums before, but - Programming is like Karate, you can't learn it from a book. :P

It sounds silly, but I honestly believe it. If you're serious about learning to program, take some classes. I SUCKED at programming for a long time, and it took a few classes before it really clicked. Even after my first programming class, I could program a little but I didn't "get it."

Books show you how to do one specific task, but the key is to understand programming concepts and being able to apply them.

I've you've got a passion for it, hang in there. The single reason I got into programming was because I wanted to make video games. And today, I work as a software engineer -- doing absolutely nothing related to video games... But I learned how to program in the process. ;)
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Slacker
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Slacker »

Check out Visual Basic (or any of the *Basics really)
~Slacker
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by M_D_K »

No one ever understands anything at first, but you stick at it and you learn.

I dived right into C/C++(learned them both in parallel), there was a little detour in VB 6.0 (which lasted a week) that was just before the C/C++.

But thats just me.
Gyro Sheen wrote:you pour their inventory onto my life
IRC wrote: <sparda> The routine had a stack overflow, sorry.
<sparda> Apparently the stack was full of shit.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

i cant comment on your IQ, but you can go get it evaluated if you really are interested.

as for learning programming from books. well have you considered that you might have a language problem, it could be that its not that you dont have the capacity to learn, but perhaps that you dont understand what is being said as result of a linguistic lack.

not that im saying thats the cause.

programming is just putting down organized logical concepts to achieve a goal.
hang in there.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
moose517
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by moose517 »

i agree with everyone else, choose a more simple language, i started with QBasic, funny thing about that though is that i actually had to teach the teacher so he could teach our class, i had never done any programming before that class either, now i'm helping another teacher learn C++, even though i don't know more advanced topics i know enough to give him a hand when somebody in his class has a question he can't answer. My jounrney through programming languages went QBasic, VB.net, C++, python, and now i'm back to C++ learning it with more advanced topics and integration with a scripting language for a game i'm making with TeamWASD. When i frist started C++ i had no clue as to what was going on either, i just copied from book cause i assumed it was always right, now i understand things and can do things on my own.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

You can't figure out how to program..? :lol: I have to remember this one.

I don't really know anybody that figured how to program. But I know some people (#include <me>) that got a good guidance book or two, sat down every day for last couple of years and burnt a good part of my time keeping the chair and brains warm.

I like how trufun compared programming to karate. :) I agree with that. It's a mind karate, and you can't pass without practicing.
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

You say you don't know how to PROGRAM, perhaps you should try and understand what programming is, before you start using a language.

-Do you know why you want(or need) to program?
-are you interested in programming?
-what are your goals

Perhaps you need to gain an understanding of what it is to program, and how you combine a series of programming techniques to create methods of doing things (i.e. algorithms)

Once, you understand why you are programming, then maybe programming languages will become clearer.

Personally, I was self taught (initially), I went straight to C++ (after not understanding what programming was since I was about 12, and getting frustrated at Dark BASIC)

After I did I a little programming in my spare time, I learnt how to use variables, functions ,some logic and a little arithmetic, but I really started to understand programming properly when I got to college, as I was able to ask questions to my tutor, and expand my understanding of the subject.

I think you need a mix of book reading, and tutoring personally.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

Programming is like sex. You start off with an uglier girl (a simple program), because you aren't very good at it. You're scared, nervous, and inexperienced. By starting off with the easier women, you can build up your skill and confidence for when the super hot babes (more challenging programs) come around.
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1/2
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

Programming is like sex. You start off with an uglier girl (a simple program), because you aren't very good at it. You're scared, nervous, and inexperienced. By starting off with the easier women, you can build up your skill and confidence for when the super hot babes (more challenging programs) come around.
that is the best description I've ever heard for programming. lol!
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

GyroVorbis wrote:Programming is like sex. You start off with an uglier girl (a simple program), because you aren't very good at it. You're scared, nervous, and inexperienced. By starting off with the easier women, you can build up your skill and confidence for when the super hot babes (more challenging programs) come around.
:lol: Sure, 'Hello Worlds' can be fun, but you don't want to show them off to your friends...
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

I startet with HTML too. I dont know if it is a good way or not, but that was how i got into programming. One of my firends big brothers friend made a document with a table that me and my friend could put pictures and stuff into(and change the background color to some random hex value;)) :D
Image ImageImage Image
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

GyroVorbis wrote:Programming is like sex. You start off with an uglier girl (a simple program), because you aren't very good at it. You're scared, nervous, and inexperienced. By starting off with the easier women, you can build up your skill and confidence for when the super hot babes (more challenging programs) come around.
Falco is now surrounded by mannequins 8-)

Years are finally paying off.. :lol:
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

dude my first time was with a 5'9 125 lbs babe. and not to brag but i had her begging for more. wish i could say the same for my programming endeavors.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"