A game, that'll probably never exist.

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

DFxPirate
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

A game, that'll probably never exist.

Post by DFxPirate »

I've been trying to get into Game Development for a while now, I'm just simply studying C++ currently though I'm still far from being complete though I'll post what I have done so far. There has been many other work that has been done for this game but, I don't have it on me currently because I'm simply a Graphic Designer/Programmer.

Some concept art, I know its just concept art.. but I like them.

These were suppose to be some character builds in the game.

Image Knight on the left, Mystic on the right. Both characters that'll hopefully be in the game.

Image A ninja, haha sweet eh?

Image I'm not entirely sure what this is.

Image Before I coloured it, lul.

Image Took me a while to colour this, also had to reconstruct the outline of the drawing.

All these images are all drawn by the hand-artist, thats probably the reason why I tend to explain them in a such a retarded format. It means, I never drew them
The game it's self was planned to be an MMORPG with many unique features not like anyother.

Though, personally I'm losing intention of continuing to develope this game.. Because I'm like the only person in the team that actually knows any knowledge of game development. I'm still a nooby, but I still understand some-what game development. The leader of the team always expands the information of the game, he continues to babble about stuff that he wants to see in the game, like.. "Oh this feature for the assassin character and shit..." Though, I personally dislike all that. Funny thing is that he doesn't know much programming and isn't good with any graphics.

I've been graphic designing for a few years now, so I'm slightly knowing what I'm doing. I can easily get into designing a sprite sheet or even some 3d models.
Though, I don't really find it useful if I can't develope anything towards the game because no one needs it as of now.

NOTE: NO WORK HAS BEEN DONE FOR CREATING THE ENGINE YET. (No programming, nothing at all.)
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Re: A game, that'll probably never exist.

Post by cypher1554R »

I envy your drawing skills.. I haven't seen such good concept art in a long time.
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by M_D_K »

Wow! That is some wicked concept art.
Gyro Sheen wrote:you pour their inventory onto my life
IRC wrote: <sparda> The routine had a stack overflow, sorry.
<sparda> Apparently the stack was full of shit.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

Wow, you have some serious skills. Your concept art looks amazing. Good luck on this project - there are plenty of great programmers around here to help you along the way.

Nice work muh friend.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Yea, sweet concept art. Like trufun said, there are plenty of people more than willing to help after you get it started by yourself.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
DFxPirate
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by DFxPirate »

I can never be more happier hearing those fabulous comments. A great community I see here, indeed. All I need now is people who're willing to work on the engine its self. Ah, I'll look around later. Thanks for everyones comments though.

~DFxPirate
Diablo vt
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Diablo vt »

DFxPirate wrote:I can never be more happier hearing those fabulous comments. A great community I see here, indeed. All I need now is people who're willing to work on the engine its self. Ah, I'll look around later. Thanks for everyones comments though.

~DFxPirate
All I need now is people who're willing to work on the engine its self.
HAHA! Awesome art btw! I am very envious!
There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.
DFxPirate
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by DFxPirate »

Diablo vt wrote:
DFxPirate wrote:I can never be more happier hearing those fabulous comments. A great community I see here, indeed. All I need now is people who're willing to work on the engine its self. Ah, I'll look around later. Thanks for everyones comments though.

~DFxPirate
All I need now is people who're willing to work on the engine its self.
HAHA! Awesome art btw! I am very envious!
I'm not sure what that's suppose to mean, am I getting the feeling that you're willing to help me design the engine of the game? :) if so, then I love you.
ver.min
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by ver.min »

A few things stuck out to me when reading your post, namely being:

1. "MMORPG with many unique features not like anyother."
2. "Because I'm like the only person in the team that actually knows any knowledge of game development"
3. "Funny thing is that he doesn't know much programming"
4. "NO WORK HAS BEEN DONE FOR CREATING THE ENGINE YET. (No programming, nothing at all.)"

This project sounds like its destined for failure. I'm sorry to say this as your concept art looks superb but an mmo is a collossal undertaking and, from what i gathered, one you(and your team) are unprepared for. I see too many teams these days, drawing up all this concept art and making spread sheets, but no game in site. Before going any further, I highly recommend working on a prototype server/client. If you can't do this I'd suggest taking a step back and working on something a little less ambitious. After all, pretty art and stories don't make games... code does. That's not to say you won't succeed and by god I hope you prove me wrong, but I simply can't shake the feeling of deja vu.

That's my 2c anyway. Good luck.
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by M_D_K »

ver.min wrote:A few things stuck out to me when reading your post, namely being:

2. "Because I'm like the only person in the team that actually knows any knowledge of game development"
4. "NO WORK HAS BEEN DONE FOR CREATING THE ENGINE YET. (No programming, nothing at all.)"

This project sounds like its destined for failure. I'm sorry to say this as your concept art looks superb but an mmo is a collossal undertaking and, from what i gathered, one you(and your team) are unprepared for. I see too many teams these days, drawing up all this concept art and making spread sheets, but no game in site. Before going any further, I highly recommend working on a prototype server/client. If you can't do this I'd suggest taking a step back and working on something a little less ambitious. After all, pretty art and stories don't make games... code does. That's not to say you won't succeed and by god I hope you prove me wrong, but I simply can't shake the feeling of deja vu.

Well it depends. Yes its rare to see a homebrew or community MMO but its not impossible(worldforge). It all depends on the programmers and being able to work as a team.
Gyro Sheen wrote:you pour their inventory onto my life
IRC wrote: <sparda> The routine had a stack overflow, sorry.
<sparda> Apparently the stack was full of shit.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

M_D_K wrote:
ver.min wrote:A few things stuck out to me when reading your post, namely being:

Well it depends. Yes its rare to see a homebrew or community MMO but its not impossible(worldforge). It all depends on the programmers and being able to work as a team.
unfortunately working together as a team will only get you about as far as maybe, and note i mean a very small maybe, a working client. making MMO (that actually is decent and playable), is so challenging, not only is the network infrastructure so hard to even conceptualize, never the less implement, the quest system alone in a MMO is a mazzive undertaking. if this was a project just about a RPG, diablo kinda style, i would consider getting involved. but a MMO, haha.. good luck is all i can say.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
DFxPirate
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by DFxPirate »

I think I should be agreeing at your comments, it's true that it's possible. But a team which most are unable to even program? I don't think we're going to make such a great game with those issues. I believe I should just size it down for now, create a small game and keep on raising my inability. Start off with pacman, than make an advanced pacman. :) Or even something similiar towards that... meh
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

DFxPirate wrote:I think I should be agreeing at your comments, it's true that it's possible. But a team which most are unable to even program? I don't think we're going to make such a great game with those issues. I believe I should just size it down for now, create a small game and keep on raising my inability. Start off with pacman, than make an advanced pacman. :) Or even something similiar towards that... meh
i think you meant ability rather than inability. anyways.
dont be discouraged. i have started 100's of projects (games and apps) that have fallen flat. and usually its because i tackled to big of a demon. if you feel that you can tackle OpenGL (its easy) or something like SDL, then jsut start by making a ISO engine. just so you can more object around and stuff like that. back it up and start tinkering till you find something that works. most great games today have to have a story and quests and lost of playability hours. for that you need a huge profesional team. so what i suggest indy game developers do. go back to the roots. the golden rule for a game is this. seconds to play, but years to master

why do you think tetris is still being made today, and varients of it. mario. fun game, but not so easy to complete. have you ever hear of a game called "thief" its old, graphics suck balls. its just not a pretty game. but it is by far the most fun. it is actually possible to go through out the game never being seen, and thats the challenge.

dont be a cookie cutter, MMO's are done and they really arent that fun, and if you dont have millions to support it no one is gonna play it. be original.
villeballa89
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by villeballa89 »

well here's my thoughts. why not work out a basic (non-mmo) game from this concept and then, after some time and experiance programming, expand the story and take it to mmo. Then again, I'm in the same boat as you with the whole just learning languages at the moment so I'm not completely sure how that would work but, from what I hear, the only way to get good at programming is to program, and if this is the project you're set on, make it a longterm goal and decide upon the stepping stones to get to that point.

Basically, I'm saying, I'd be interested in the game, just based on the looks of it and, if I were a bit more experienced, I'd offer what help I could on a non-mmo story/game from this concept, to get things set in motion for the overall goal.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

villeballa89 wrote:well here's my thoughts. why not work out a basic (non-mmo) game from this concept and then, after some time and experiance programming, expand the story and take it to mmo. Then again, I'm in the same boat as you with the whole just learning languages at the moment so I'm not completely sure how that would work but, from what I hear, the only way to get good at programming is to program, and if this is the project you're set on, make it a longterm goal and decide upon the stepping stones to get to that point.

Basically, I'm saying, I'd be interested in the game, just based on the looks of it and, if I were a bit more experienced, I'd offer what help I could on a non-mmo story/game from this concept, to get things set in motion for the overall goal.
before you do this let me jsut warn you. making a MMO is basically the art of wrapping a game around a robust network infrastucture with databases and god knows what else. so making a singleplayer game and then trying to make it MMO, is basically impossible.