JForce vs. GyroVorbis

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: JForce vs. GyroVorbis

Post by Falco Girgis »

Y'know, I just noticed something:
JFail Games wrote:We're making it with XNA, so it'll be on Xbox 360 and Windows, and then ported to Mac.

That's a quote taken from their site. Please correct me if I'm mistaken (I've done some googling), but there is no XNA running on Mac. JForce has also posted that their programmer is "taking classes to learn C++."

Rewriting an entire engine that was written in XNA with something like C++ sounds a little ambitious for a fledgling programmer...
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I would like to announce that I am taking the route of JForce games and having my little brother film me making my game, while making statements that have nothing to do with anything, such as the fact that Gyrovorbis our enemy and we have no reason to feud with him... Oh and our game is going to make so much money that I will be able to live off of the income of this unnamed game!!!!!!!!! Wow do I sound like a newb now????? I can go further if not...
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

eatcomics wrote:I would like to announce that I am taking the route of JForce games and having my little brother film me making my game, while making statements that have nothing to do with anything, such as the fact that Gyrovorbis our enemy and we have no reason to feud with him... Oh and our game is going to make so much money that I will be able to live off of the income of this unnamed game!!!!!!!!! Wow do I sound like a newb now????? I can go further if not...
It's a little scary because you've summed up a lot JForce's statements and you do sound like a newb. So, I guess one could say that eatcomics here has a point.
Or maybe it's just all in the phrasing...? Trying to give JForce the benefit of the doubt here.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Orgodemir-k wrote:I really wish I could unsubscribe from them without ever having subscribed.
Personally I wish I HAD subscribed to them, then it would've been one more subscription that I could take away from them.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

GyroVorbis wrote:Y'know, I just noticed something:
JFail Games wrote:We're making it with XNA, so it'll be on Xbox 360 and Windows, and then ported to Mac.

That's a quote taken from their site. Please correct me if I'm mistaken (I've done some googling), but there is no XNA running on Mac. JForce has also posted that their programmer is "taking classes to learn C++."

Rewriting an entire engine that was written in XNA with something like C++ sounds a little ambitious for a fledgling programmer...
XNA runs on the .NET Framework, which doesn't run on a Mac. So yeah, I'd be interested to hear how they are planning that Mac port.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

That is amazing!

seriously, if they think they can get the source for a program written in a MICROSOFT PROPRIETRY LANGUAGE, built ontop of a Microsoft proprietry framework onto another proprietry operating system (and expect them to have an equivalent XNA framework...which they dont), they must be insane!

If we were talking about an application written in C++ with a multimedia library like SDL, then it would be possible, but that is near impossible, they would have to basically reprogram the entire thing because C# doesn't nor does XNA work on a mac, unless you ran an emulator, but even then it isnt a true 'port'

Those guys don't have a clue at all if what you say is true...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by M_D_K »

Well they could get most of the engine to run on mac using mono(http://mono-project.com/) and it looks like it will run XNA soon-ish.
Gyro Sheen wrote:you pour their inventory onto my life
IRC wrote: <sparda> The routine had a stack overflow, sorry.
<sparda> Apparently the stack was full of shit.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Jesus Christ, I've never seen a group of compressed filetypes dish out so much owning: http://jforcegames.com/blog/index.php?itemid=40

Whoever is thinking of those names is hilarious. That's clevar.
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by M_D_K »

Gzip Compression Obsession wrote:LOL!!! I just read a topic over on Gyro's forum that proves that you can't put your XNA game on Mac. You realize that porting it to Mac WITHOUT XNA would require more work than it did to make the game in the first place? Do you guys actually know anything about programming or are you just talking out of your asses (which I'm surprised you can still do, considering all of the dick you probably have crammed up there).
He has a point. I wonder who that is?
noob
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by noob »

"And I plan to outsource the port."

They are gonna outsource the port.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

. . . Yeah, I'm thinking that I'll outsource our stuff too.

PETER AND MARCEL, I WANT YOU TO PORT OUR ENGINE TO PLAYSTATION 2 AND VIRTUAL BOY. I WILL PAY YOU BOTH ENOUGH LUNCH MONEY TO COVER TWO WEEKS.

--kthx, have a nice day. :)
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by M_D_K »

lol...need i say more(probably)
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

cronjob00 wrote:lol at least you're mom always has you're back I actually unsubscribed to them I was watching there videos but it seems the spend more time trying to convince people that there game is going to be so amazing and make them milllions and bashing anyone that talks about them that it seems kinda silly I would just ignore them anyway we all know who would win.

seriously, they have a concept artist....wtf is up with that?
Diablo vt
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Diablo vt »

They're being a wee bit naive, are they not?
There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Concept artists can be beneficial if your project is large enough...
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.