Visual studio task list

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Visual studio task list

Post by MarauderIIC »

I found this like 2 minutes ago while work-working (as opposed to play-working, aka devving =) ) and thought someone might find it helpful. Visual Studio has a built-in 'Task List' that you can open by going to view > other windows > task list. Or, "ctrl+\, ctrl+T". You can keep a (super-basic, sort of inconvenient) todo under the "user tasks" category... not very helpful.

But! Under the "comments" category, it echoes all comments that start with a certain token from your code and double-clicking them takes you to them. In C++, it only works for the current file, I hear, but C# it works for the current solution.

You can change what tokens are recognized by going to tools > options > environment > task list, selecting a category, typing a token name, and hitting "add". Mine picks up 'TODO' (which it does by default), 'NOTE', and 'FIXME'. And since I do multilines of those by writing 'NOTE Cont' or 'TODO Cont', it works really nicely.

I'm using VS2008, and I know that it exists in VS 2005, and I'm assuming that you get to it in the same way. Versions before VS2005 have it built into the error list, I hear.

http://www.blackwasp.co.uk/TaskListComments.aspx
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=vi ... h&aq=f&oq=
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Re: Visual studio task list

Post by trufun202 »

Yeah, it comes in handy.

You can also use //HACK to denote portions of code that you're hacking for a quick fix, but intend to fix later.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Goddamnit. Now I feel even more motivated to upgrade to 2008. The last time that I tried to install, it told me that something wasn't found in a DLL, shit itself, and told me to reinstall. I have to fix that. =/
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

HACK isn't something I ever write, which is why I added FIXME =)

Look on the bright side, falco: if you get 2008 to install, we can share a project file :P
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Slacker
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Slacker »

Nice! Thanks for bringing that to my attention, my previous methods were less than stellar.
~Slacker
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Oh? Nice, thanks for sharing that information!
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

GyroVorbis wrote:Goddamnit. Now I feel even more motivated to upgrade to 2008. The last time that I tried to install, it told me that something wasn't found in a DLL, shit itself, and told me to reinstall. I have to fix that. =/
I had this same problem actually... It only took a whole episode and a half of the office to download then it didn't work... I was sad :(