Video Tutorials

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Video Tutorials

Post by Moosader »

Okay, so I'm planning on creating more online game programming tutorials once I learn more myself.

I keep getting people asking me "HOW I DRAW SPRITE ON SCREEEN!?", so I'm debating whether I should do a super-basic-baby-newbie tutorial for them things. Like for both Allegro and SDL.
I don't really like doing tutorials that you can find easily by just fucking googling, but I guess some people can't read and must watch a video.

Also another spriting tutorial, when I get around to it. 'twil be over animating, so having walking animations and what not.

With the game programming one, that platformery one... I was thinking of having an alternative tutorial based more on theory of game structure. I don't feel like I'm good enough at coding and structuring to tell others how to do it. Theory is also multilingual, pretty much.

Also, going to add on to my VB winsock tutorial to tell how to split up the server and client into separate programs.

Anything else anyone think would be handy? Or input on my current ideas?

I will NOT do any more freaking VB tutorials, except the one I promised.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Video Tutorials

Post by Falco Girgis »

Yeah, I think it's a great idea. We were planning on maybe having a page on the mother site for "embedded Youtube video tutorials," so I've also been wondering if I should make a few. And I'll be honest, the "Game Development: Where to Begin" thing is still my most popular/viewed video of all time.
dejai
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by dejai »

I have also wrote a bunch of tutorials on C++ and I think people who really want to learn should not use video tutorials. I think the primary learning resource should be books, forum posts and wrestling with other peoples code and then modifying that and making it better. I believe tutorials should either be very specific involving certain parts of a system or a support material to a written tutorial. Thats just my opinion but I really respect what you do on youtube, I didn't learn from you but when I was writing my first Allegro program with no prior allegro experience it did help.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

Yeah, I think a textbook is the best place to learn your basics in sequence for a language. Not so much for game programming, though. The way I learned was just trying out different things with allegro and eventually making more and more complex things.
If you look even at Quix Attax Deux (jan '07), you'll see that I had no idea how to implement a menu system. From MusuGo 0.4.1 (aug '08), you can see that I know a little better now. ^^;
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

It's a lot easier to skip around text :)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

I, personally, am not super interested in learning how to program with WinSock in visual basic, but as you said it was a promised video, and will be your last VB tutorial. I'm interested in anything to do with Allegro, SDL, or game programming theory. I'd also love to see more on animations and spriting, possibly even creating tiles. From what I've seen your artwork is amazing, and if there's any possible way for me to improve mine, I'm more than willing to take a shot at it.

I've found this collection of tutorials very useful, and I'd love to see anything related to the topic:
http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/

I'm sure whatever you come up with will be interesting :)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted: