Level Editors

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

dejai
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Level Editors

Post by dejai »

Could anyone give me a nudge in the right direction, where to find some information on making a basic level editor for 2d platforms. Thanks. I would prefer C++ fairly standard code as I use GCC (specifically G++ within the GNU Compiler Collection) to compile all my projects and Linux 2.6.24-19-generic(<-why did I bother including that :/).
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Check out the LazyFoo Tutorials and Articles for game related programming in C++ and SDL. Here's a link for the Map Editor Article:

http://lazyfoo.net/articles/article09/index.php

Good Luck!

P.S. - If any of this code is ahead of you, be sure to go back as far as necessary and read those tutorials first ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Well it would help to know which language, I havn't looked at any c++ ones personally, but I found a decent blitz one soooo if that is what your interested in just say so...
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Level Editors

Post by dandymcgee »

dejai wrote: I would prefer C++
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Yeah I just realized that as i was rereading the article...
well I got nothing on that subject...
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Heh. He seems to to be doing fine elsewhere on the forums. Dejai, if you have any more questions feel free to ask :P.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

yeah I've been a little out of it lately gotta get back into my groove.... Wow that was so unecessary.
resatti
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by resatti »

i think its called MusaGo :mrgreen: :( :cry: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :x :shock: 8-) :lol: :? :D :wink: :| :guffaw: :cheers: :google: :hitit: :worship: :butt: :bow: :asshole: :marioblock: :mariocoin: :illegal: "kickurass: :illegal: :knuckles: :jacko: :sonicrun: :luigi: :nervous: :nono: :shock:
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
PART 1
R: What do you want for breakfast, L?

L: Well, let's see. I want tacos, waffles, and snickerdoodle.

A: Snickerdoodle?

R: Tacos and waffles don't go together, L.

L: I know that, R. A, snickerdoodle is a German cookie.

A: Well, whay didn't you say so, L? My butt just got equiped with a cookie gun!

R and L: Gun?

R: Run, L, A is gonna shoot us with his...

...whatever it is called!!!! Come on, L!

(L gets hit in the back of the head with a cookie and becomes unconsis.)

R: L!?

(Cookies fly everywhere, but R manages to escape)

A: It's going out of control!!!!! I can't stop it! Ohh......

(A explodes with a loud and thunderous BAM POP SLASH!)

The house (which belongs to L) no longer existed. A blew up and left R wondering what happened to A and L. R checked out the scene and saw no trace of A or L. There were many questions to be asked: Where is L and A? Is L and A alive? How did A get a cookie gun in his a**? No one knew the answer.

Countinued...
Spoiler'd. --Mar
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

ummm.... that signature scars me. It doesn't make sense, normally that would be a plus but in this case it is giberrish not random. And it takes up a lotta space, in case you don't know, that gets annoying...

well have a nice day and may the force be with your mom...
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

As you can tell, I haven't gotten around to restoring any emoticons either.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

resatti wrote:i think its called MusaGo :mrgreen: :( :cry: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :x :shock: 8-) :lol: :? :D :wink: :| :guffaw: :cheers: :google: :hitit: :worship: :butt: :bow: :asshole: :marioblock: :mariocoin: :illegal: "kickurass: :illegal: :knuckles: :jacko: :sonicrun: :luigi: :nervous: :nono: :shock:
From this point on, I will be deleting any post from you with a "more than reasonable" amount of smilies. You've been warned.

You're like 12, aren't you? Are these the first forums you've ever been on?
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

GyroVorbis wrote:
resatti wrote:i think its called MusaGo :mrgreen: :( :cry: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :x :shock: 8-) :lol: :? :D :wink: :| :guffaw: :cheers: :google: :hitit: :worship: :butt: :bow: :asshole: :marioblock: :mariocoin: :illegal: "kickurass: :illegal: :knuckles: :jacko: :sonicrun: :luigi: :nervous: :nono: :shock:
From this point on, I will be deleting any post from you with a "more than reasonable" amount of smilies. You've been warned.

You're like 12, aren't you? Are these the first forums you've ever been on?
If they are, don't you think we should give him the benefit of the doubt?
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
dejai
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by dejai »

In reply to Resatti I was not looking for a level editor, I was looking for frameworks for level editors and how they handle the reading and writing to files and how this in turn is read in by the game engine to produce a game / map. I am collecting some resources and information about how to do this and so far I think I could build a solid, stable but basic level editor with a framework somewhat like that of the IrrWizard and NUSoftware frameworks however there would be a lot of work involved. I am interested in game theory and any theory on the issue of game development more specific to the technical arena as opposed to the artistic. I congratulate the Elysian Shadow team on there success with there level editor it seems to have a lot of really great features and seems to be working in a fairly stable order much to the disagreement of Peter but I could only take a note from the theory of the editor as I made a choice to respect my freedoms and only use open and free software.

Another question I would throw out there is, is Lusikka Mages editor open source? I respect her decision either way and I am only asking this question becauuse Resatti's reply seemed to point to this.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Yes, MusuGo is open source, you can download it from her deviant art: http://moosader.deviantart.com/
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Thanks for spoilering that marcel... yeah I have been loking for the same thing on level editors, at the moment I don't need it but in the future say 4 months from now I may need one... do you guys think this is a little off topic, you know the fact he is asking for it and I am asking for it again wow this is pointless