dreamcast linux

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

guyofcomics
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

dreamcast linux

Post by guyofcomics »

okay, I have been pondering this idea in my head for a while now.

You are all aware of the open-source operating system linux I assume. There was a version of linux designed for the original xbox.

How about a version of linux that could run on the dreamcast? Think about it. The dreamcast has SATA, VGA, and internet. It even offered a mouse and keyboard.

The idea would be to create a self-bootable cd that you could either run straight off or hook up a hard drive via SATA and install it on there. You would still need to use a cd to use the hard drive. But, then you have a fully functioning OS on the Sega Dreamcast.

Thoughts? Help?

p.s. the dream will never die
Go Bears!
guyofcomics
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

UPDATE

Post by guyofcomics »

just found out there is already something like that. Damn. Thought I had come up with some great idea, maybe I will make my own though
Go Bears!
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Uh. I could get Linux running on my fucking ipod.

Linux has been fully working for DC for years now. =P
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
guyofcomics
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by guyofcomics »

yea, I didn't know that. Sorry for inconveniencing you by post. Jesus. U don't have to be an ass about it
Go Bears!
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Well, it was a nice thought. :)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
guyofcomics
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by guyofcomics »

yea. I thought it sounded awesome at first.
Go Bears!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Linux on Dreamcast is a bad as hell idea. The linux on an iPod is nowhere near what it is on Dreamcast.

It's a really badass idea. Don't listen to Arce, he's an asshole.

The dream never will die.
dejai
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by dejai »

LMAO you think linux is an operating system. Haha

GNU/Linux is an "Operating system" + Distro + Environment (Gnome, KDE)
Arce

Post by Arce »

guyofcomics wrote:yea, I didn't know that. Sorry for inconveniencing you by post. Jesus. U don't have to be an ass about it
Hey, sorry man. Honestly, that was sarcasm in my post, not intended to offend; though now that I look at it, I guess it does make me look like an ass.

I was meaning it like "hell, you can run linux on effin anything, course it's on DC!" <--See? A more sarcastic connotation, not trying to be as much as a douche....Eh, I just soiled myself. xD
just found out there is already something like that. Damn. Thought I had come up with some great idea, maybe I will make my own though
And yeah, honestly, I hate it when an awesome idea pops up, then you find out it's been done. Though atleast you know it's a good idea by the fact that it's been done? xD

Reinventing the wheel is only worthwhile if the previous patent has run out, unfortunately. :cheers:
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

dejai wrote:LMAO you think linux is an operating system. Haha
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=de ... gle+Search

Hm...
Rest of the internet wrote:Linux is a free open-source operating system based on Unix. Linux was originally created by Linus Torvalds with the assistance of developers from ...
orafaq.cs.rmit.edu.au/glossary/faqglosl.htm

The word Linux is most commonly used to refer to the operating system that was originally created in 1991 by Linus Torvalds while he was a student in Finland. ...
www.linfo.org/confusing_terminology.html

A freeware version of Unix, Linux is becoming popular as a powerful, low-cost operating system for running servers.
support.alentus.com/glossary.aspx

A UNIX-like operating system developed by Linus Torvalds and numerous programmers throughout the world. Linux is distributed free, and its source code is open to modification by anyone who chooses to work on it. It is often used as an operating system for network servers.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodte ... ssary.mspx

Q: What Is Linux?

A: The name "Linux" is used to refer to three similar yet slightly different things, which can be confusing to all but the hardcore geek. The three usages vary by how much of a complete software system the speaker is talking about.

At the lowest level, every Linux system is based on the Linux kernel — the very low-level software that manages your computer hardware, multi-tasks the many programs that are running at any given time, and other such essential things. These low-level functions are used by other programs, so their authors can focus on the specific functionality they want to provide. Without the kernel, your computer is a very expensive doorstop. It has all of the features of a modern operating system: true multitasking, threads, virtual memory, shared libraries, demand loading, shared, copy-on-write executables, proper memory management, loadable device driver modules, video frame buffering, and TCP/IP networking.

Most often, the name "Linux" is used to refer to the Linux Operating System. An OS includes the kernel, but also adds various utilities — the kinds of programs you need to get anything done. For example, it includes a shell (the program that provides a command prompt and lets you run programs), a program to copy files, a program to delete files, and many other odds and ends. Some people honor the request of Richard Stallman and the GNU Project, and call the Linux OS GNU/Linux, because a good number of these utility programs were written by the GNU folks.

Finally, software companies (and sometimes volunteer groups) add on lots of extra software, like the XFree86 X Window System, Gnome, KDE, games and many other applications. These software compilations which are based on the Linux OS are called Linux distributions.

So, there are three Linuxes: the Linux kernel, the Linux OS, and the various Linux distributions. Most people, however, refer to the operating system kernel, system software, and application software, collectively, as "Linux", and that convention is used in this FAQ as well.

See also the Wikipedia articles on the Linux kernel and the Linux operating system.
http://www.tldp.org/FAQ/Linux-FAQ/general.html (The Linux Documentation Project)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

:guffaw:
Arce

Post by Arce »

:google: :jacko: :guffaw: :guffaw:
dejai
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by dejai »

That is wrong. I am going to go out on a limb here and stick with my post. I research about GNU / Linux a lot. I have about 8 computers running it (if you include ipods etc). So I think you may have to apologies after the following :D

Watch this Richard + Linus:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=WmChgfn81 ... re=related

Watch the following addressed from Linus Torvald himself:
(ps. Linus only supports GPL v2 not 3...)
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ugRM3-twc

Watch the birth of GNU:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=o2xfrApGOr4

Finally for fun:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=T9WaI6lZB ... re=related

Now if you want to be a annoying little boy and tell me I am wrong because you did a Google search? Obviously you don't know what your talking about. I admit to being a Gnu / Linux penguin but you can't deny the fact that in this case I am right and your wrong.. Sorry.

If you flame me for being right thats just sad....

:guffaw:
Arce

Post by Arce »

Uhhhh...Okay? You've further proven his point: the term 'Linux' can be used to refer to three different things, one of which would be the composite 'OS'.

Rewatch some of the movies. Their use of the word 'linux' are contradictory from video to video, as it is frequently used to refer to differing parts of the OS. Just as Marauder stated.

And I have no idea why you'd be afraid of 'flammage'...as you both are correct.
dejai
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by dejai »

No I am correct, I am not taking this shit that Linux is an operating system because it is not. Maybe the videos were not clear, but watch Revolutionary OS or go have a talk to Richard Stallman.

What happened was Linux was the last piece of GNU's operating system. Linux is just a kernel. It is not a compiler, it is not a Environment. You can run your hardware with Linux yes, but its so low level you would get binary or assembly output. Thats not an operating system, no way. An operating system must be usable and that is why it is the GNU / Linux operating system in its correct terminology.

People call Linux an operating system sure, but they are wrong. They mean GNU / Linux. Really JUST READ THIS: http://www.gnu.org/

ITS ON THE FRONT PAGE OF THE SITE, why didn't I post this earlier. So where is that, "I was wrong" speech?