A tribute to my 12-year-old self.

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Wow, I'm impressed--that's actually pretty cool. I just spent some time getting slaughtered by the snakes. :P

Btw, is that sprite in the 2nd one the Sprite from Poke'mon? That made my day. xD

So what's the difference in the two? One seems more polished; I'm assuming that one was done later? Again, that's pretty kewl, I know plenty of noobs now that would die to be able to make something like that. :mrgreen:

Also, yours is probably more impressive than mine, as mine was done in a BASIC language (and I'm assuming yours wasn't? Though I could be wrong?)

Anyway, welcome to the forums (it says that's your 1st post).

:cheers:
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Thanks

Post by dandymcgee »

Heh, thanks for understanding the amount of time/effort that seemingly useless piece of software took out of me ;). I do believe that is the sprite for the Pokemon character, it was sent to me for use in the project by a friend a while back and i'm not 100% sure where he found it.

Yeah, the second one is all the same code as far as the snake paths and item placement goes, just made easier to figure out (in the first one you had to press F1 for the new game to start but there was nothing notifying the user of this). I also added support for passwords to return to the level you left at (as opposed to game saves). It was essentially a novice remake of Chip's Challenge.

This was actually written in the AutoIt scripting language (autoitscript.com) which is the very first "programming" language I learned. It's by far one of the best languages for a novice programmer to learn with (in my opinion) as opposed to something like Visual Basic (where many begin in classes at school and such). I think Visual Basic doesn't really teach you what programming is as much as it teaches you how to make a quick and dirty GUI program. When someone says "button" you think of it as dragging and dropping a button, maybe changing it's text or color, then telling something to happen when it's clicked. You never actually see the code that draws the button to the screen. In AutoIt you use a function called GUICtrlCreateButton() and pass params to it involving the text and position on the window you want it to appear at. I think this gives a bit more insight as to what's actually happening (without the hassle of a lower level language such as C++).

Thanks for the warm welcome, I look forward to future discussions.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

You are so right about visual basic, peice of crap, never had a need for it but I thought it would give me a start, but it didn't...
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

I started with Visual Basic, but pretty much agree as to what you said about it :)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

MarauderIIC wrote:I started with Visual Basic, but pretty much agree as to what you said about it :)
Same here.

I have a few of my old VB games from when I was 12 burnt to CD, two of which I've posted videos on youtube of. It was such a waste of time to try to learn, though. I think RPG Maker helped me understand game creation more than VB did.

Koneko's Quest game:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-J-Kpy1AOZI& ... 39&index=7

Attack of the Mutant Lawnmowers game:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AxPcqyzzkpw& ... 39&index=8

Another game I made, the puzzles didn't make sense and I have NO IDEA how to solve them anymore.

My favorite VB program was probably a "virtual world" with several different species, and they'd have "hunger" "happiness" "age" and "horniness" meters and they could reproduce with other species.
There was a bug, though, where they'd have like two dozen offspring at a time, and they didn't recognize their parents as "friends" so a swarm of mutant half-human-half-fish would run around the world killing everything until they died of hunger. WOO!

/ And I'll have to check out your math game later, when I'm more awake.
Arce

Post by Arce »

Poo!

I just realized I didn't post the correct math game...And now I don't even know if I have the right one. That one just gives you random problems and asks ya to solve....The other (newer) one was similar...Except you're a sniper and you have no aimer on your gun....So you use a protractor to snipe the guy. Meaning, you need to calculate the angle to get a head shot. ;P

Anyway, still studying for AP test, will be done tomorrow. I'll check out your stuff then--but wow, that sounds pretty awesome, especially for a 12 year old. I'd like to see the little Simz game. xP!
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt