Club House

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Club House

Post by Wutai »

Me and my neighbors are building a clubhouse thing back in the woods.
I've been trying to find prices for like plywood and cement and stuff online, but I haven't found anything.
Does anyone have any clue how much plywood is?

Also, we plan on insulating the walls so any info on that would be great.

Have any of you guys ever done anything like this before?
This is a joke about unfunny jokes. And bad use of irony.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

As long as you use asbestos for the insulation you're in good shape.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Re: Club House

Post by Arce »

As long as you use asbestos for the insulation you're in good shape.
:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:
I've been trying to find prices for like plywood and cement and stuff online, but I haven't found anything.
You've been looking online? Dear god, I would never dream of buying building materials online, the shipping for a bag or cement would double the price!!

Yeah, our posse has done their fair share of building back in the day. The cheapest wood, especially if you're going for price rather than quantity, would be either located at Lows or Home Depot. They have HUGE selections, but the absolute cheapest wood you're going to find...Is the scraps. Last time I went (not too long ago) the scrap pile was HUGE (meaning, you'll likely find what you need) and I was amazed by how good of shape some of the wood is. If you don't mind cutting it yourself (which, if you're going to build something worthwhile, you shouldn't) then you should be fine digging up 1 dollar 2 by 4's from that pile, and when it comes to the cement, nails, treated plywood, ect, go inside the store. Probably not the 100% best price around ((well, i guess they could be, depending on where you live)) but look around.

Ask pretty much anyone who works there, be sure to give detail, and TELL THEM YOUR BUDGET. To my experience, the dude's there are ultra helpful, so you'll get all you need.

Our latest treehouse (not sure whether we actually posted pics or not) was 16 feet in the air, had a wooden ladder all the way up, was large enough for 4 people to sleep in it (yeah, tested that theory. xD) and is still standing, sturdy as hell today (2 & 1/2 yrs later?) And no, we didn't even use treated wood. xD

The price for the whole thing was 200$ (a bit steep in my opinion) but we did buy a brand new circular saw, so I'd say it wasn't bad at all.

Also, another thing we used to do, back when we thrived on the shady side of the law...Jack some lumber from that house being built next door. Wait, no, scratch that...building companies now started putting cameras by all their supplies @ building sites...So what you do is just go right up to a construction dude while he's working, and ask if there's any wood he's not using, and tell him why. Honestly, this has worked with me countless times. The guy likely won't care, and he really just might have a legit pile of perfect scraps you could use.

As for insulation...Not really sure about the prices for that. Luckily, we've got a stockpile of material for that here...Some kinda insulated military stuff. Heh. But yeah, you can get that there too. = P
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

We used to just steal wood from the local construction sites back in the day...

I highly recommend it.
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

First of all, thanks for all the advice.

I wasn't actually planning on buying the materials online, I just wanted to know what stores had the best prices based on their website. None of them even had the supplies listed online though.

We're trying to work on a budget of around $300. I think the plan so far is to have a layer of treated plywood on the outside, then insulation, then either particle board or plywood on the inside of the building. Sort of like a sandwich..
To make it sturdier, we're gonna use cement for the base, and dig holes for the main supports and cement them into the ground. We're trying to get some old shingles to use for the roof, since I think my parents are getting the shingles on the roof of our house replaced.
On the inside, I think we're gonna try and get some old berber carpet. Not sure that carpet's the best choice when we're gonna be walking in with mud all over our shoes and stuff all the time, but that's what the rest of the guys want. We're gonna make it big enough to put 4 cots and a small coffee table inside, as well as room to walk around a bit.

That construction site idea is pretty appealing, but not practical in my case. None of the guys building the cabin thing have vehicles, and there aren't any construction sites anywhere close to my house. The only small glimmers of hope for free material come from my neighbor, who might have some drywall left over after he finishes redoing his basement, and my friend's dad, who might be nice enough to buy us some stuff.

What were you talking about when you mentioned a scraps pile? Like is there just a big pile of old wood and crap around Home Depot and Lowe's? I've never seen such a thing, but I guess I've never really looked, either.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

As far as scrap wood goes, yes. You could probably find it outside Lowes and Home Depot.

But what I was specifically referring to was houses that are being built. Find an area with lots of house construction. There's usually dumpsters full of wood ready for the taking.
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

Oh. Yeah, there aren't any places like that around here that I'm aware of. I'll keep a look out, though.

Anyone have an idea how to build in a secret storage compartment thing for various objects we don't want others to find?
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

trapdoor going to a bucket in the ground?
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

that's sort of what I was thinking, I trapdoor with an underground container.
Rolayler
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Rolayler »

all you really have to do.......is manage to make a trap door with a hole big enough for whaty ou want and reinforce the hole with wood......xD
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

That's the idea... yep
Rolayler
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Rolayler »

you might need to double layer the sides so it doesn't crash in
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

maybe. insulation is expensive
Rolayler
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Rolayler »

Prolly ^^ I wanna make myself an underground cave........
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

"Don't talk about it, be about it"