Ghetto publishing?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Ghetto publishing?

Post by JS Lemming »

Anyone ever thought of making a game for the DC and "publishing" it themselves? Like, just burn some CDs and print out some covers and ship'em out via something like ebay or something for like $10 a pop? I've always wanted to have my own ghetto business and crap. Maybe I'll give it a try this summer. Reread all my programming books and actually make some shit. Just musing.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Showdin
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Showdin »

Nobody's going to buy them for $10 each. You should make games because thats what your good at and love to do, not to make money. If you even want a decent ammount of people to even play it (let alone buy it) they'll probably have to be free.
You are better than me.
mofo joe
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by mofo joe »

Hm... yea and you should autograph them so when you become famous you can buy them back, write a personal message on it and sell them for even *more!*
*Muwahaha*
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Doesn't Goat Store sell their's for $15? Perhaps $7 is more logical.

BTW, I'm talking about a big game like a platformer..... not like some Super Pong Advance crap.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Nah, I'm sure that people would buy it, but the question is why?

What's wrong with the Goat Store? You have publicity, a guaranteed audience, REAL pressed CDs with professional jewel cases, instruction manuals, and everything.

Oh... you only make half of what they sell... I see, are you trying to maximize profit? That would probably do it.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

The only problem I might have with Goat Store is that they have to approve pretty much anything you want to do and if they don't like something you did, to bad, change it till they do. I'm probably making that sound harsher than reality but that's what I got from chats with Dan Potter.

More truthfully, I suppose, is that I'd simply prefer the feeling of doing it on my own... going from nothing so something. Making up some stupid ass company name like Capn' Crust Productions (featuring a crusty pirate mug as a logo or somethin). You know what I'm saying? Just being stupid and free to do what I please.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

They are extremely lenient, but yeah, they definitely have to approve of everything.

I know what you're saying. I'm sure that the people who would buy from Goat Store would still buy from a private publisher too. A Dreamcast game is a Dreamcast game. You just need to make sure that it at least looks professional.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Now the only thing I'm wondering is exactly how big the DC scene really is. I mean, how many people out there are still hardcore enough to buy a DC game like that? 15 people? I have no idea.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

When Under Defeat came out, Sega came out and said on their website "this is the last fucking Dreamcast game, goddamnit, it's dead, you'll never see another one."

Enough people bought Under Defeat that we've seen 2 other releases licensed by Sega, even though the Dreamcast was supposed to be dead. Under Defeat sold extremely well. Thanks to the success of those few commercial releases, Dreamcast officially outlived Lamecube and Xbox everywhere.

But if you're in it for the money, I wouldn't bother. The effort it would take to create a DC game when you don't have the passion isn't worth the money you'd make as a homebrew developer.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Have fun acquiring the business license, et al which costs in the neighborhood of 300 dollars if not more just to sell a few DC games.
There is no signature.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

I reckon I wouldn't need it. I've never heard of needing a license to sell some homemade crap on a CD.
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Then it wouldn't be "publishing," would it? I mean, legally, it's not considered published unless there's a copyright with it or something? And for that, wouldn't you need a business liscense?

As for selling them online, go for it. I don't know what all that 'publishing' ass is. Just put some on Ebay or make a site or something. If you have a paypal account, then that'll make it smoother. Just make it look professional as you can.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

I was hoping the word "ghetto" before "publishing" would have made it clear that I didn't mean publishing like in real life.
Arce

Post by Arce »

Oh, and here I was thinking that you'd actually thought of a stylish company name. ;P
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Capn' Crust Productions.... too bad it sounds like Captain Crunch.