VMU icon vote!

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Dark Crusader
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

VMU icon vote!

Post by Dark Crusader »

Ok. SS has given me the task of making an icon for the VMU, and thanks to JS I have a VMU thingy editor! :mrgreen:
Now if I can get a hold of SS I can send them to him to get this thingy up! :twisted: :twisted:
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin
FredDibnah
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by FredDibnah »

I'm just throwing this out there, but is VMU Virtual Memory Use?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Sega's Visual Memory Unit aka "VMU" was released in the year of '98 along with the initial release of the Dreamcast.

This was one hell of a memory card. It was revolutionary in many ways. Not only could it store save files, but it also has a screen that'll allow information and junk to be displayed.

Here are some of it's uses. The main use is, storing save games. Every Dreamcast game worth mentioning has VMU support. I've never heard of one that doesn't. The games do anything from just displaying a simple logo, to uploading a full minigame that you can play anytime like a gameboy (Sonic Adventure Chao Adventure for example).

Also, you can link 2 VMUs and transfer data, even link up and fight on certain games.

Here is an image of the VMU:

Pretty neat little gadget, isn't it?

Anyway, you might be wondering, "How the hell does that work with the game?" I'll show you. Here is another image:

The VMU slides into the controller and displays stuff while you play. I freaking LOVE the VMU.

In the case of our game, the VMU will display all sorts of stuff. During main gameplay, you'll have a choice whether to display life, ammo, frags, and other crap on the TV, VMU, or both. When you die, it'll show a kick ass image (courtesy of Dark Crusader). The VMU will do all sorts of stuff for our game. The artists are designing VMU graphics.

Any other questions or comments? Ask here.