Societies worse off 'when they have God on their side?

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

skywalker541
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by skywalker541 »

gyro have you read the bible I'm assuming not because if you had you wouldn't have bothered to post that link to bible contradictions. Anyone who has half a brain and an iota of knowledge about the bible can tell that those aren't even contradictions and most of them are taken out of context i.e. GEN 7:2(paraphrasing here) of clean animals thou shall take to the by sevens and unclean by 2 according to the site contradicts
GEN 7:8 ...and all the animls went 2 by 2 into the ark. ok god didn't say noah you have to put seven clean animals into the ark at one time he said that there must be 7 in the ark that doesn't contradict them being put in 2 by 2 since they're were 6 pairs of a clean animal and 1 without a mate the first 6 could be put in 2 by 2 and the last paired with another animal ( to get inside the boat not to mate). Falco plz listen to those cd's i gave you.
skywalker541
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by skywalker541 »

The bible does not contradict itself anywhere and to say it does is blasphemy and bothers me quite a bit. And society is defenitely not worse off with christianity. However it is worse off with christians who don't act like christians and really don't have good foundation in christianity. It is because of these kind of people that they're are religous wars (someone who is a true christian, wuold tolerate not try to destroy another nation because of its belief, however this doeas not mean that they wouldn't try with all they're heart to convert them) Toleration of sinners (everyone) and ppl who are not christian was taught by jesus, afterall when jesus saw a sinner he didn't slay them on the spot, no, he taught them and tried to show them the right way and if they chose to not believe than he just left them, however he would still accept them if that person were to come around. i.e. when jesus was put on the cross and being tortured he could have killed everyone involved with a thought but chose not to because he had to die for them becase he loved us that much, killing someone to jesus would be as hard as killing himself because of the love he had for everyone, this is how it should be this is what the bible teaches.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Amen brudda.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

I've always wanted to know, if there's life on other planets, did Jesus die for them too?

And, no, I'm not a Christian. Nor am I Jewish, Hindu, Islamic, Scientologist, or any of those other religions (all) that think their belief system is the only correct one and everyone else is incorrect and must be converted or tolerated. That's the main reason I'm not religous: there's many. And they all think they're right.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I disagree. The bible is riddled with contradictions. That's why I'm not going to be able to call myself a Christian and I never will be.

If you're offended or think that's blasphemy then deal with it. I'm not even any religion and none of that offends me. If you were to say I go home and worship Satan, I'd shrug and say "Damn, that's weird", and probably continue playing PSO. It's called religious tolerance.

I see no proof. There is no proof to any religion. I am not going to believe Christianity just like that because there is a gigantic mass of people who believe it without a doubt just because they aren't willing to question what they believe.
MarauderIIC wrote:And, no, I'm not a Christian. Nor am I Jewish, Hindu, Islamic, Scientologist, or any of those other religions (all) that think their belief system is the only correct one and everyone else is incorrect and must be converted or tolerated.
I agree. God damnit, I'm being blunt. I think you guys are full of shit. I don't mind that you're full of shit, though. But you guys do mind. So quit trying to convert people to your Christian armies. Christianity, the righteous religion of truth and justice--doesn't even support the right of the people to choose their faith? Bull.

Another thing. What if I don't worship god. You think that your god is ridden with such human tendencies such as revenge? That's what's going on with the whole hell thing. It's revenge against those who don't agree. You think a god isn't high enough above our level that he would banish somebody to the fiery pits of hell for all of eternity for not worshipping him without a doubt when all we have is called faith and the bible. Faith, a belief which cannot be proven, Bibe, the book just full of contradictions, riddles, and other stuff that just couldn't ever be proven.

You can sit here and try to prove every contradiction bull, but it isn't gonna happen. Here have a go. Humor me. :D

Or actually, just don't because I don't mind you guys being christian. I'm not converting or recruiting anybody like you guys. I'm just here to present facts.
And, no, I'm not a Christian. Nor am I Jewish, Hindu, Islamic, Scientologist, or any of those other religions (all) that think their belief system is the only correct one and everyone else is incorrect and must be converted or tolerated.
Oh, and here's a good one, I'm disturbed that a bible would say such a thing :wink:
The sins of the father
ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.
What have I done that's so bad? What have I said that's so blasphemous? If there is a christian god when I die, I'll be the first to repent and follow his will. I just don't see that happening.

That's not bad, it's just that nobody knows the meaning of toleration...
Tvspelsfreak
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Tvspelsfreak »

GyroVorbis wrote:I disagree. The bible is riddled with contradictions. That's why I'm not going to be able to call myself a Christian and I never will be.

If you're offended or think that's blasphemy then deal with it. I'm not even any religion and none of that offends me. If you were to say I go home and worship Satan, I'd shrug and say "Damn, that's weird", and probably continue playing PSO. It's called religious tolerance.

I see no proof. There is no proof to any religion. I am not going to believe Christianity just like that because there is a gigantic mass of people who believe it without a doubt just because they aren't willing to question what they believe.
MarauderIIC wrote:And, no, I'm not a Christian. Nor am I Jewish, Hindu, Islamic, Scientologist, or any of those other religions (all) that think their belief system is the only correct one and everyone else is incorrect and must be converted or tolerated.
I agree. God damnit, I'm being blunt. I think you guys are full of -blam!-. I don't mind that you're full of -blam!-, though. But you guys do mind. So quit trying to convert people to your Christian armies. Christianity, the righteous religion of truth and justice--doesn't even support the right of the people to choose their faith? Bull.

Another thing. What if I don't worship god. You think that your god is ridden with such human tendencies such as revenge? That's what's going on with the whole hell thing. It's revenge against those who don't agree. You think a god isn't high enough above our level that he would banish somebody to the fiery pits of hell for all of eternity for not worshipping him without a doubt when all we have is called faith and the bible. Faith, a belief which cannot be proven, Bibe, the book just full of contradictions, riddles, and other stuff that just couldn't ever be proven.

You can sit here and try to prove every contradiction bull, but it isn't gonna happen. Here have a go. Humor me. :D

Or actually, just don't because I don't mind you guys being christian. I'm not converting or recruiting anybody like you guys. I'm just here to present facts.
And, no, I'm not a Christian. Nor am I Jewish, Hindu, Islamic, Scientologist, or any of those other religions (all) that think their belief system is the only correct one and everyone else is incorrect and must be converted or tolerated.
Oh, and here's a good one, I'm disturbed that a bible would say such a thing :wink:
The sins of the father
ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.
What have I done that's so bad? What have I said that's so blasphemous? If there is a christian god when I die, I'll be the first to repent and follow his will. I just don't see that happening.

That's not bad, it's just that nobody knows the meaning of toleration...
MarauderIIC wrote:I've always wanted to know, if there's life on other planets, did Jesus die for them too?

And, no, I'm not a Christian. Nor am I Jewish, Hindu, Islamic, Scientologist, or any of those other religions (all) that think their belief system is the only correct one and everyone else is incorrect and must be converted or tolerated. That's the main reason I'm not religous: there's many. And they all think they're right.
Agreed.
skywalker541
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by skywalker541 »

Gyro you have almost no knowledge of christianity or at least what's in the bible so who are you to say it's full of "-blam-!".As far as repenting once your in heaven i'm afraid it just doesn't work like that. Jesus said "Deny me in life and I shall deny you in death".
As for contradictions, you show me a contradiction and i will show you a misunderstanding.
skywalker541
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by skywalker541 »

I don't think jesus died for aliens, because the bible suggests that we were the only one of his creations that disobeyed him in the beginning.This is because I think i'm not completely sure on this but, we were created relatively shortly after the war in heaven meaning that if god did create life on other planets, they wouldn't haev been influenced by satan. Falco again plz listen to those cd's, because right now your forming opinions without having all the information you need.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

skywalker541 wrote:Gyro you have almost no knowledge of christianity or at least what's in the bible so who are you to say it's full of "-blam-!".As far as repenting once your in heaven i'm afraid it just doesn't work like that. Jesus said "Deny me in life and I shall deny you in death".
As for contradictions, you show me a contradiction and i will show you a misunderstanding.
Again, it seems like any god would be higher above something so petty.

Don't tell me, that I, a 16 year old agnostic male am more generous than the mighty and holy creator, because I certainly wouldn't "deny somebody death" if they tried to prove I didn't exist...
skywalker541
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by skywalker541 »

My bad, i was paraphrasing and it didn't mean that he would deny you death but deny knowing you in the afterlife. which means you would not be washed clean of your sins in teh afterlife. And what are you referring to as petty?
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=35593

Read that thread in its entirety, then tell me god exists. I expect to see you back here sometime next month.
There is no signature.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Ah, jeez, I got to page five and got tired of people arguing about things that weren't the point of the post!

For example:
An all-knowing God knows exactly what we're going to do, when we're going to sin and be evil; there isn't any genuine 'choice' involved.
I am not going to accept "knowing stuff means you control it" statements
THATS NOT WHAT HE SAID! He said that your path was predetermined! Because it is known, and if i.... yeah, see my point? This had been happening and getting more and more common.

Not to mention the entire argument on free will is incredibly stupid. I think people just don't understand it. I see exactly what he's saying. He's using the free will to say that God cannot be omniscient, for one, and for two, free will can't exist if God is omniscient, because since he is not wrong, and because he knows everything, he knows what you are going to do, and you do it. Therefore, your choices were preset, even though you still made them (which is free will?)

No more on that from anybody.
Last edited by MarauderIIC on Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Keep reading.
There is no signature.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

And I finally skimmed the whole stupid thing. A lot of arguing about miscommunications.
skywalker541
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by skywalker541 »

Wow, ok yoshi, gyro, and everyone else who is on the opposing side if this argument, you guys need to get a bible and read it (because the ignorance in your guys' argument is quite obvious), so for your argument to carry any validity i suggest going and learning about what your sayng doesn't exist. If you really deeply understood christianity you would not oppose it, at least not if your a decent person in the least. So go study your bibles then if you still disagree come back and tell us why. Because right now there's not very much intellegence in your argument at all. I don't understand how you guys' can oppose something when you know next to nothing about it, what other people tell you about the bible means nothing, if you haven't read it yourself.