ETA on ch. 18

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: ETA on ch. 18

Post by dandymcgee »

I believe there are two projects (a VS project and an XCode project). While you are required to add each new file to both projects independently, the file being included is one and the same.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Yeah, there's still no way around that. When I add a .cpp file to the Engine/LibGyro, I still have to add them to the XCode/VS projects.

There's also a super ultimate 1337 set of makefiles developed by M_D_K and me that scans for all the directories and is able to build LibGyro/ES for Linux, Dreamcast, and PSP without having to do anything other than make sure your files are in the right places... typing "make" is even easier than updating the VS/XCode projects...
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

GyroVorbis wrote:Yeah, there's still no way around that. When I add a .cpp file to the Engine/LibGyro, I still have to add them to the XCode/VS projects.

There's also a super ultimate 1337 set of makefiles developed by M_D_K and me that scans for all the directories and is able to build LibGyro/ES for Linux, Dreamcast, and PSP without having to do anything other than make sure your files are in the right places... typing "make" is even easier than updating the VS/XCode projects...
Of course it is, no dealing with that bullshit IDE stuff especially a microsoft IDE ew... lol (I still say MSVC++ 2008 is the best IDE out there, except Qt, but Qt only wins for its crossplatformness and some other random nifty perks)
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360

Post by MrDeathNote »

eatcomics wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:Yeah, there's still no way around that. When I add a .cpp file to the Engine/LibGyro, I still have to add them to the XCode/VS projects.

Of course it is, no dealing with that bullshit IDE stuff especially a microsoft IDE ew... lol (I still say MSVC++ 2008 is the best IDE out there, except Qt, but Qt only wins for its crossplatformness and some other random nifty perks)
I dono i'm pretty fond of eclipse, at least on linux. It has some really nice refactoring tools that I wish VS had. Plus you can integrate Qt and Qt's form designer and have it as your all in one IDE.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by M_D_K »

maybe I should make an awesome "update_projects.sh" script ;)
Gyro Sheen wrote:you pour their inventory onto my life
IRC wrote: <sparda> The routine had a stack overflow, sorry.
<sparda> Apparently the stack was full of shit.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

Visual Studio 2010 > QT Creator >>>>>> XCode >>>>>>>>>>>> All

:D
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

1. You can add a runscript build phase to a target that you can do anything, including adding files to the project that are new, although i would not recommend this since you would have to mess with the project.pbxproj file. There may be some special program that xcode calls to add files to the pbxproj.

2. You can add a launchd agent that monitors a directory and looks for changes, for example files that are new, you can then have a apple script automate adding the files in xcode. this is a better solution, as it gives you more control over what happens to files.

3. You can decide to not even use the xcode build system and stick in your "super ultimate 1337 set of makefiles" and just have a clause that builds on mac. Of course you would still have to add the files to the project if you wanted an easy way to edit them, but you have the "problem" with the make files as it is.

4. And probably the best solution is to go to cmake, at least fot the desktop solutuons, which will generate either make files, xcode, codeblocks, or visual studio project files.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"