J-fail: Unstoppable

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: J-fail: Unstoppable

Post by wearymemory »

Moosader wrote:
Kros wrote:
Moosader wrote:But hey, on the bright side you can only respect an XNA game so much.
I don't agree.
If it were coded with something else and lacked the flash (particle, lighting effects), it wouldn't be as appealing to people. It's harder to achieve this in C++/Ogl. You can respect the design, art, and polish just fine.
I code games using switches. My games are more respected than yours by the developer community. They look damn terrible. But they're still more respected.
cronjob00
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by cronjob00 »

M_D_K wrote:The game is okay. But their "marketing" still leaves a sour taste, you know?

Although later into this they calmed down, stopped with all the OMG AWESOME talk, and actually started taking it more seriously.
I agree once it started to just be the 2 of them I think the videos got better when they started ditching the guys that dont do anything from the videos it was more game less trash talk.
zNelson24
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: School assignments.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C#, BASIC

Post by zNelson24 »

Moosader wrote:
ArmisticeML wrote:I don't WANT to like it...but it does look good. Meh.
Same.

But hey, on the bright side you can only respect an XNA game so much.

*goes off to be a conceited C++ coder*

Nah. Whether a game is made on XNA, Allegro, whatever your poision is, its still a game. All that matters is rather the final product kicks ass or not.
-zNelson24

Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

zNelson24 wrote:
Moosader wrote:
Same.

Nah. Whether a game is made on XNA, Allegro, whatever your poision is, its still a game. All that matters is rather the final product kicks ass or not.
It's harder/more work to make a nicer final product with C++, so I guess that mean XNA games by default wins every time. :P
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

Moosader wrote:
It's harder/more work to make a nicer final product with C++, so I guess that mean XNA games by default wins every time. :P

I wouldn't say every time. If you work very hard on a game in C/++ with your libraries of choice you have the potential to create a game with limitless possibilities. I would compare it to growing wings vs. flying in a helicopter. The copter will get you there easier and faster but will only go as far as the fuel in the tank. With wings on your back you can fly as far as you want as long as you're willing to put the effort into it. Sure it will be harder, but the goal will be the result of pure dedication.

(I'm not trying to say that XNA games require no effort because they absolutely do)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

Moosader wrote:
zNelson24 wrote:
Moosader wrote:
Same.

I feel like that's bullshit. Call me (and the entire ES team) arrogant, but I'm more than convinced that we can and will deliver a final product on par with or superior to top-notch XNA titles.

That sounds more like an excuse than any sort of logic.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

hurstshifter wrote:
Moosader wrote:

I wouldn't say every time. If you work very hard on a game in C/++ with your libraries of choice you have the potential to create a game with limitless possibilities. I would compare it to growing wings vs. flying in a helicopter. The copter will get you there easier and faster but will only go as far as the fuel in the tank. With wings on your back you can fly as far as you want as long as you're willing to put the effort into it. Sure it will be harder, but the goal will be the result of pure dedication.

(I'm not trying to say that XNA games require no effort because they absolutely do)
Excellent analogy. And you're right, maintaining a helicopter is no easy task either. ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

GyroVorbis wrote:
Moosader wrote: It's harder/more work to make a nicer final product with C++, so I guess that mean XNA games by default wins every time. :P
I feel like that's bullshit. Call me (and the entire ES team) arrogant, but I'm more than convinced that we can and will deliver a final product on par with or superior to top-notch XNA titles.

XNA has a lot of prebuilt solutions or "starter kits." These are either project templates (such as "Racing Game" or "Space Game") or sample implementations for things like particles, AI, or networking. In some cases, the feature/functionality is built directly into XNA, but many things are implemented just as you'd see them in another toolkit or library, such as Allegro or Ogre.

But, regardless, a better brush does not make a better painting. (As we all know, some of the greatest games of all time came from some of the shittiest brushes!)

Jforce's game looks impressive, but I'm still jaded. Comparing Jforce's game to ES is an apples to oranges comparison, but ES will be the superior game - no question.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
zeid
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by zeid »

Comparing Jforce's game to ES is an apples to oranges comparison, but ES will be the superior game - no question.
I like that you say that it's not possible to compare the two, then immediately do so :lol:.

I'm very glad these guys have actually been working. I think it's funny how people got upset about their 'arrogance' I found it more in jest then anything else. I've worked on a game project with a few people before and we couldn't stop going on about how rediculously awesome our game was... of course it wasn't that great, but when your amped up on redbull and things are starting to fall into place you tend to turn your enthusiasm and pride in your work into a joke. Well for me at least...

Oh I also find alot of the name calling from everyone hillariously juvenile, "J-fail", haha. I suppose it's all in good fun, as long as no one calls me anything, Coz after all im the most awesomest eva in tha universe and making best game.

*behold the rediculousness and lack of thought my post posseses*
Axolotl Pop!
Or, try it for free.

For many more free games online visit www.sam-zeid.com
wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by wearymemory »

zeid wrote:
Comparing Jforce's game to ES is an apples to oranges comparison, but ES will be the superior game - no question.
I like that you say that it's not possible to compare the two, then immediately do so :lol:.

I'm very glad these guys have actually been working. I think it's funny how people got upset about their 'arrogance' I found it more in jest then anything else. I've worked on a game project with a few people before and we couldn't stop going on about how rediculously awesome our game was... of course it wasn't that great, but when your amped up on redbull and things are starting to fall into place you tend to turn your enthusiasm and pride in your work into a joke. Well for me at least...

Oh I also find alot of the name calling from everyone hillariously juvenile, "J-fail", haha. I suppose it's all in good fun, as long as no one calls me anything, Coz after all im the most awesomest eva in tha universe and making best game.

*behold the rediculousness and lack of thought my post posseses*
zeidiot!
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

zeid wrote:
Nah, he just likes oranges more than apples.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

dandymcgee wrote:
zeid wrote:
Nah, he just likes oranges more than apples.
...and my point about XNA gets completely lost...

oh well, I tried. ;)
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
zNelson24
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by zNelson24 »

GyroVorbis wrote:
Moosader wrote:
zNelson24 wrote:
Moosader wrote:
Same.

Im not gonna call you arrogant. Im just saying it dosent really matter what you used to make the game, as long as it rocks! As far as Im concered, XNA is just another means to code a game.

As far as I know, Unstoppable seems to be one of the best XNA games I have seen, compaired to the half-hearted apps you see on Xbox LIVE Marketplace (seriosuly?, massage controller!?! :x ). Elysian Shadows is also awsome, and I eagrly await to seem more on your game!
-zNelson24

hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES

Post by hurstshifter »

zNelson24 wrote: As far as I know, Unstoppable seems to be one of the best XNA games I have seen, compaired to the half-hearted apps you see on Xbox LIVE Marketplace

Trufun, are you gonna take this abuse?! :)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
zNelson24
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by zNelson24 »

hurstshifter wrote:
zNelson24 wrote: As far as I know, Unstoppable seems to be one of the best XNA games I have seen, compaired to the half-hearted apps you see on Xbox LIVE Marketplace

Trufun, are you gonna take this abuse?! :)
Im not mocking his game! Im just saying that this, the Pop N' Bop game your hinting at, and a few other games might be the only well put together games made with XNA that you see on the Marketplace.
-zNelson24