OpenGL and Perspective Matrix

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

OpenGL and Perspective Matrix

Post by Benjamin100 »

I've been getting back into graphics programming, which I tried before but never really took seriously.

Regarding perspective, I don't understand what I'm doing with the "w" variable in the matrix. What IS the w variable? What does it represent?
Why do I use it for perspective? What is it doing?
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: OpenGL and Perspective Matrix

Post by dandymcgee »

Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Benjamin100 »

Ok. This is interesting. I have a couple books on computer graphics, both of which discuss the concept. It is just a little difficult to understand.

I think I understand a bit better. Looking through my books, the issue is that the w isn't really to be thought of as a coordinate in the program. It is just another variable that is placed in the vector to simplify the transformation process. Is that accurate?
Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Benjamin100 »

Interesting article.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Basically the 'w' is an extra parameter that when multiplied by the perspective matrix gives a ratio for scaling the X and Y vector components by the Z component (which results in scaling the size of objects based on their distance from the camera). The point of the w and this ratio is so that it can be used in something called "perspective division." Once you've multiplied whatever <x,y,z,w> vector by the perspective matrix and have gotten a new, transformed vector, the <x,y,z> components are all divided by w. This is what produces the effect of distant objects being small and close objects being large in a 3D scene. It's because the X and Y terms are essentially being scaled as a function of the Z term, which is distance from camera when perspective division is applied.

An "orthographic projection" matrix in 2D mode is a matrix whose transform simply results in a 1.0 in the w term. Now when perspective division happens, there is no scaling based on distance, and you're left with a uniform or orthographic perspective. Perspective division was still happening before in 2D, it just wasn't doing anything since you were dividing by 1.0.