Minecraft Changing Owners

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Minecraft Changing Owners

Post by Benjamin100 »

It appears Microsoft will be buying Minecraft for 2.5 billion dollars.
Kind of funny since he seemed so angry about Oculus Rift being sold to Facebook.
Oh well. I guess that on such matters almost everyone has their price.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Minecraft Changing Owners

Post by eatcomics »

I'd sell my left nut for 2.5 billion. Notch did the right thing. Minecraft has been going down hill anyways.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Microsoft didn't buy Minecraft, they bought Mojang (that is, the company behind Minecraft).

Notch has long abandoned Minecraft to work on other projects, as he was bored with Minecraft long ago and has no interest in being its figurehead. For $2.5 Billion I can't say I blame him for ridding himself of something he sees as holding him back. I hope he goes on to create other great things and doesn't let the money disrupt his lifestyle in a negative way.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Accy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Accy »

Nobody even plays Minecraft anymore. What is up with big companies buying things on the end of their rope?
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Accy wrote:Nobody even plays Minecraft anymore. What is up with big companies buying things on the end of their rope?
Just because you don't play Minecraft any more does not mean nobody does. :nono:

Feb 26 2014:
gamespot.com wrote:Minecraft passes 100 million registered users, 14.3 million sales on PC
Sep 18 2014:
https://minecraft.net/stats wrote:16,730,485 people have bought the game.
In the last 24 hours, 7,449 people bought the game.
Right now: https://minecraft.net/stats

If over 7,000 people buying your game in the last 24 hours is "the end of [the] rope", then what the hell is success?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Accy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Accy »

dandymcgee wrote:
Accy wrote:Nobody even plays Minecraft anymore. What is up with big companies buying things on the end of their rope?
Just because you don't play Minecraft any more does not mean nobody does. :nono:

Feb 26 2014:
gamespot.com wrote:Minecraft passes 100 million registered users, 14.3 million sales on PC
Sep 18 2014:
https://minecraft.net/stats wrote:16,730,485 people have bought the game.
In the last 24 hours, 7,449 people bought the game.
Right now: https://minecraft.net/stats

If over 7,000 people buying your game in the last 24 hours is "the end of [the] rope", then what the hell is success?
Well, I never played it, because it had some weird error on the computer I had when it was really popular. :lol:

But, basically everyone I know who used to be obsessed with it hasn't touched it in months. Maybe they just got too old for it, idk.
Also, the amount of new Minecraft LPers has drastically dropped. Or at least YouTube has stopped spamming me with their kowality kontent.
Of course, I'm obviously not huge on the scene, so I suppose I can't really talk.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Accy wrote: Well, I never played it, because it had some weird error on the computer I had when it was really popular. :lol:

But, basically everyone I know who used to be obsessed with it hasn't touched it in months. Maybe they just got too old for it, idk.
Also, the amount of new Minecraft LPers has drastically dropped. Or at least YouTube has stopped spamming me with their kowality kontent.
Of course, I'm obviously not huge on the scene, so I suppose I can't really talk.
Seems like you're experiencing the opposite of confirmation bias, "rejection bias" if you will. Confirmation bias being when you learn about something new (like the number "42") then start seeing it everywhere, all the time. At this point, you're not interested in Minecraft and you've been desensitized to its presence such that you don't even notice it anymore.

I suspect age has a some to do with it though. People get bored and move on, it happens with all new, shiny things. Hell, World of Warcraft is "old news" to a lot of people but that doesn't mean it's not still busting out expansions and making BOATLOADS of money. That said, both Minecraft and WoW have built a very large, dedicated audience and for every person who leaves it to rot on the shelf there's another who's just as excited about the incoming patch as they were the day the game was released. Then there's the kids who've never even heard of Minecraft and think it's as amazing as your friends did 5 years ago.
Accy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Accy »

dandymcgee wrote: Seems like you're experiencing the opposite of confirmation bias, "rejection bias" if you will. Confirmation bias being when you learn about something new (like the number "42") then start seeing it everywhere, all the time. At this point, you're not interested in Minecraft and you've been desensitized to its presence such that you don't even notice it anymore.
That just might be the case, and I can't say I'd complain about it. :twisted: