Corruption In Gaming Journalism: The Quinnspiracy

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Corruption In Gaming Journalism: The Quinnspiracy

Post by Light-Dark »

This guy makes a fair argument in regards to this scandal: Let's get these sociopolitical agendas out of the gaming press by making these phony "social justice activists" and "feminists" ( they aren't truly either, not by a long shot) who manipulate,exploit and lie, accountable via calling them out on their hypocrisy.

Part 2 (better than the first):

Part 3:
Last edited by Light-Dark on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
ac3t1ne
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Re: Corruption In Gaming Journalism: The Quinnspiracy

Post by ac3t1ne »

She sounds like a right fruitloop,

thing is, I hadn't even heard of her or her game until all these videos and posts came about.

There's no such thing as bad publicity...
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

I couldn't make it past the first 3 seconds. That voice is the most annoying sound I have ever heard and instantly forfeited any potential respect.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

Okay Dandymcgee here's a different guy who actually plays her game and shows the reviews from various sites (they're good and the "game" is shit). The corruption and lack of journalistic integrity is really highlighted here

Basically this woman is sleeping with journalists and developers for good publicity and the journalists are refusing to comment on this scandal, in fact Stephen Totilo the head of Kotaku said he saw no problem with his employee Nathan Grayson, a writer who gave her a favourable review of her terrible HTML text adventure, having a romantic relationship with her. I'm pretty sure Mr. Totilo has a fucking masters degree ("Totilo holds a masters' degree from Columbia University's graduate school of journalism") in journalism and should know that's a blatant conflict of interest. These journalists say that gamers are misogynistic and put out opinion pieces that have little to do with gaming, that often get their definition of misogyny wrong (see a Gawker writer trying to imply that Mr Jaffe who worked on Twisted Metal and God of War is a "misogynist" and Mr. Jaffe reacting rightfully so to it https://soundcloud.com/ben-kuchera/jaffe-confrontation). I don't know about you but this bothers me. I agree that men and women should be equal and all that jazz but all of this has no place in gaming journalism. Plain and simple gaming journalism should be about gaming not about pushing some ideology or agenda that the writers of themselves don't even follow (if you can't walk the walk then don't talk the talk). I'm sure this isn't something that's new but the "Quinnspiracy" here has really highlighted the amount and the depth of how morally bankrupt the big gaming journalism sites are. You might think that Quinn is harmless and that she hasn't committed any crimes but Let's look at "Game Jam" a reality show that was meant to be about game development. Well it fell through after Quinn who was a part of it and a few other players possibly sabotaged this and immediately after she set up Rebel Game Jam and took the hype from Game Jam there and if you look on that page there's an option to "support it" by donating through paypal. If you look to which account that goes to it goes to her own PERSONAL paypal account "The Quinnspiracy" (I know how ironic) where she also accepts tips and personal donations. Gee I wonder how she separates out the rebel game jam money from all those tips and donations she gets from sympathetic people on twitter who she begs money from after tweeting about some mysterious muggings. It's fraud. This whole issue and investigation into this lady, and gaming journalism was sparked by her trying to censor a youtuber with a false copyright claim and what followed could be characterized as the Streisand effect.

It's a massive shit storm.
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Girl makes shitty game, her journalist friend writes good review about shitty game.. andddd who the fuck cares?

I tell everyone I know how fucking awesome Elysian Shadows is, but the truth is, I've never played it. Nobody has, because it doesn't yet exist as a full game.
:shock2: The Elysian Shadows Conspiracy Dun, dun, dunnnnnnnn.

Every media outlet has some bias. Whether it be for an individual, a political party, an affiliate, or a business partner. You have to learn to see through these things and check sources before blindly accepting news as truth.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

dandymcgee wrote:Girl makes shitty game, her journalist friend writes good review about shitty game.. andddd who the fuck cares?
Lots of people evidently who don't want people fucking their way to good press and who don't want an article's author unabashedly shoving their feminist view point down their throats, calling gamer's and game developers misogynist's based on loose conjecture (see the David Jaffe confrontation linked above). It wasn't just one publication, look at the reviews from the rest of them (detailed in the video above) it's 99% of them. And don't you dare criticize them or question their journalistic integrity or you're a misogynist, sexist, chauvinistic, male pig!!!11

Elysian Shadows is a whole different ball field here. From what has been shown Elysian Shadow's looks like it is going to be awesome and based on the dedication and passion shown by the developers yeah you can probably say with a bit of certainty it will be fucking awesome but we'll just have to wait and see. You know what call me a misogynist (because these journalists certainty would without knowing the definition of the word) for thinking that Elysian Shadow's deserves to be greenlit or have an article over some manipulative woman's sloppily put together garbage that was only talked about because she slept with some key players in the industry.

When all's said and done I hope this brings the whole corrupt tabloidish temple crashing down and the sites who have journalistic integrity rise. When you have video game journalism sites with articles about how a man wrongfully accused of rape shouldn't deny the allegations but should instead talk about how bad rape is and the EIC's have no problem with this or their employee's exchanging sex for good publicity. There's a problem.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

I think this article put out earlier today does a decent job of outlining the importance and the scope of "The Quinnspiracy" or as it's now being called "Quinngate"

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/2014/08 ... n-scandal/

…The fact of the matter is, articles like Florence’s and the fallout of that article do point to a widespread, deeply entrenched problem facing the gaming press and its lack of a uniform ethical code that often serves or at least appears to serve game publishers first and consumers second.
In fact, no one cares about Zoe Quinn, her game or her personal life. The reason people are interested in this here (on gaming discussion sites like N4G) is because it furthers the case on corruption of gaming journalism and because some indies and journalists are acting like a mob to censor and/or ridicule the discussion itself.
I think it’s sad that people are so blind that they’re desperately trying to shrug off the current Zoe Quinn controversy rather than stopping to think about how it’s just part of a very large issue plaguing the industry as a whole, in that the vast majority of media coverage on games is in no way impartial.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

I was going to ignore this topic, but since you seem genuinely interested I'll explain why I said what I said.
Light-Dark wrote:don't want people fucking their way to good press
The main point with which I wholeheartedly disagree is your implied definition of "good press".

When I want to learn about a specific game, there are two and only two places I will visit:
  • The game's website
  • YouTube
When I want to find new games that I might be interested in these are the two main places I will visit:
  • Steam Store
  • YouTube
Notice the trend? I really couldn't care less about Kotaku, or any of the million other less prominent gaming "news" sites and their opinions.
When I want to know if a product is good I look at it's official marketing material then go directly to the consumers: YouTube. (In some cases, if the marketing material is good enough, the price is reasonable, and the payment method is extremely straightforward and trustworthy, i.e. they accept PayPal, I might even buy the game and try it myself even before going to YouTube. I did this with Antichamber and Terraria both of which turned out to be two of my favorite games of all time.)

Yes there is the possibility of biased YouTube reviews, but it's very easy to gauge general opinion from many reputable sources all in one place. For me, visiting YouTube is essentially the modern, technological equivalent to asking my roommate if he's played Counter Strike and if it's any good.

I understand that many people will be influenced by big gaming news sites, so understand that this is the opinion of one man. I would wager, however, that there are many others like me.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

Post deleted by Zoe Quinn.
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by bbguimaraes »

Falco Girgis wrote:Once day you'll have to get me drunk at a bar, and I will go off on quite an epic rant. :twisted:
Oh boy. You might reconsider live streaming the party this weekend.
Imrooniel
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Imrooniel »

Y'all motherfuckers need some zen.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

Great article from NicheGamer on GamerGate: http://www.nichegamer.net/2014/09/real- ... YUKo5Fw.99

Here's a real Feminist talking about GamerGate:

Completely deconstructs the "feminists" saying games are rife with sexism and misogyny in a clear and logical manner.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

Imrooniel wrote:Y'all motherfuckers need some zen.
The Zenmaster has spoken!
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

Accy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Accy »

dandymcgee wrote:I was going to ignore this topic, but since you seem genuinely interested I'll explain why I said what I said.
Light-Dark wrote:don't want people fucking their way to good press
The main point with which I wholeheartedly disagree is your implied definition of "good press".

When I want to learn about a specific game, there are two and only two places I will visit:
  • The game's website
  • YouTube
When I want to find new games that I might be interested in these are the two main places I will visit:
  • Steam Store
  • YouTube
Notice the trend? I really couldn't care less about Kotaku, or any of the million other less prominent gaming "news" sites and their opinions.
When I want to know if a product is good I look at it's official marketing material then go directly to the consumers: YouTube. (In some cases, if the marketing material is good enough, the price is reasonable, and the payment method is extremely straightforward and trustworthy, i.e. they accept PayPal, I might even buy the game and try it myself even before going to YouTube. I did this with Antichamber and Terraria both of which turned out to be two of my favorite games of all time.)

Yes there is the possibility of biased YouTube reviews, but it's very easy to gauge general opinion from many reputable sources all in one place. For me, visiting YouTube is essentially the modern, technological equivalent to asking my roommate if he's played Counter Strike and if it's any good.

I understand that many people will be influenced by big gaming news sites, so understand that this is the opinion of one man. I would wager, however, that there are many others like me.
This is forum is pretty slow, so I think a bit of necroposting might be needed.

I don't give a fuck about any of the sites in question. The issue is that their preconceived ideas of what games are can affect actual game developers. The game Divinity: Original Sin really suffered because of them. And I think you can imagine how many companies won't want a site with 20+ million visitors to talk shit about them, and will do whatever they say.

Though not directly related to gamergate, the game that the old Megaman creator were making, Mighty No. 9 is a game that is sort of in the same boat. The community manager fugged her way onto the team, despite never playing any Megaman games (and lying about it). Her job is to translate what the English fanbase says into Japanese. You can see how that becomes a problem, especially since she has a lot of ties with the corrupt game journalists in question. :nono: