Big Changes Are Happening

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Big Changes Are Happening

Post by Falco Girgis »

First of all... SURPRISE SUPRISE! WE'RE FUCKING FUNDED!

I have basically neglected these forums for quite awhile due to my own personal issues and work and school obligations. But now that my full-time job is literally Elysian Shadows, I want to Phoenix Down this bitch and build back up our old community... We used to have a lot of developers frequent this place to share ideas, post YouTube videos, and talk about code... It was kind of like my family back in the day, and I want it back. So it's time for some housekeeping.

New YouTube Playlists
I organized the shit out of every playlist meticulously.
  • Adventures in Game Development - Main development series, including ESRev and announcements, organized newest to oldest.
  • Adventures in Game Development (Chronological) - Main development series, including ESRev and announcements, starting with Chapter 1.
  • Adventures in Graphics Design - Playlist for our new graphics-oriented AiGD spin-off
  • Elysian Shadows Press - Playlist for all of the interviews and podcasts we've done promoting Elysian Shadows
Reverted Forum Theme
That voxel forum theme was absolutely fucking terrible. It didn't have a bunch of nice features like showing the latest thread posted in from the main page. It basically made the forums less usable, and I have deactivated it. We will be making this prosilver theme look trendier in the coming days.

Beta Backer Forum
Will be up as soon as the Kickstarter completes. Everyone who backed us at a high enough tier will be granted access to this private forum. I basically want these people to be our internal game development family. Even if we won't have a beta testable build of ES ready for several months, we want to keep these guys in the loop and ask for their input. They will also have the option to beta test the engine and toolkit, as these will be ready long before ES itself. You still have a chance to pledge for access to these forums on Kickstarter, so don't forget if you're interested!

Help Wanted!
We're looking for self-motivated, passionate developers to help moderate these forums. We're looking for people who like to help others and who can be active in the community responding to general programming questions and basically being an all-around nice dude. Dandymcgee is currently the only mod, and we're looking for maybe one or two more.

Anyway, you will notice some housekeeping in the next few days on our forum and on our site. We're planning to all be much more active here as a team, and we're also planning to be far more active with site updates and YouTube videos. Stay tuned!
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Big Changes Are Happening

Post by dandymcgee »

Falco Girgis wrote: Reverted Forum Theme
That voxel forum theme was absolutely fucking terrible.
Thank God. Though I've been using prosilver_left since 5 minutes after Voxel was implemented, it's nice to know the rest of the community no longer has to deal with that rubbish.
Falco Girgis wrote: Help Wanted!
We're looking for self-motivated, passionate developers to help moderate these forums. We're looking for people who like to help others and who can be active in the community responding to general programming questions and basically being an all-around nice dude. Dandymcgee is currently the only mod, and we're looking for maybe one or two more.
Keep me posted. I look forward to meeting some of our new fans and once again nourishing a thriving, active community of developers and gamers alike.
Falco Girgis wrote:We're planning to all be much more active here as a team, and we're also planning to be far more active with site updates and YouTube videos. Stay tuned!
Can't wait!
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Dormoxx
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Learning SFML and KallistiOS
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Dreamcast, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Dormoxx »

Falco Girgis wrote: Beta Backer Forum
Will be up as soon as the Kickstarter completes. Everyone who backed us at a high enough tier will be granted access to this private forum. I basically want these people to be our internal game development family. Even if we won't have a beta testable build of ES ready for several months, we want to keep these guys in the loop and ask for their input. They will also have the option to beta test the engine and toolkit, as these will be ready long before ES itself. You still have a chance to pledge for access to these forums on Kickstarter, so don't forget if you're interested!
Sweetness! Can't wait for the backer forum, but early access to ESTk is what I'm most excited for!
CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46
GPU: Sapphire Fury X
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
Noteables: Sega Dreamcast with Keyboard
----------------------------
YouTube: Channel
Steam: [D]ormoxx
tumblr
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360

Post by Light-Dark »

dandymcgee wrote:
Falco Girgis wrote: Reverted Forum Theme
That voxel forum theme was absolutely fucking terrible.
Thank God. Though I've been using prosilver_left since 5 minutes after Voxel was implemented, it's nice to know the rest of the community no longer has to deal with that rubbish.
The change threw me off but yeah glad to see the forum's back to prosilver.

Also thank you so much for taking the time for reorganizing the AiGD playlist in chronological order! There's something really appealing about watching the journey and evolution from AiGD Chapter 1 to now :)!
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
Accy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Accy »

I haven't been particularly active here. I have like 5 posts but if there's anything I've learned from working as a computer technician, it's that the least qualified don't have problems making the job! So I'm applying for mod. I'm looking for a new forum to post on anyways.

I have moderated very active forums and chats before. I don't have a fragile 'mod ego' that I would let affect my decisions. I'm pretty understanding and don't try to act like I'm in some secret club when I mod, because trust me, I have dealt with plenty of douchey mods.

If you don't want someone who hasn't been here long in that position, then it's cool though.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

If you guys need another emergency mod when things get hectic, feel free to call on me. I don't post as often as I used to, but I still lurk here a lot.

I mod for moosader already (although I've been rather inactive as of late, there really isn't a lot to do there other than remove bots) but I know how the whole thing works.

And I definitely don't have a problem helping out other coders :)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

aaaaand the floodgates of HELL have been opened... I think I just approved nearly 100 beta backers.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

eatcomics wrote:If you guys need another emergency mod when things get hectic, feel free to call on me. I don't post as often as I used to, but I still lurk here a lot.

I mod for moosader already (although I've been rather inactive as of late, there really isn't a lot to do there other than remove bots) but I know how the whole thing works.

And I definitely don't have a problem helping out other coders :)
Nice to see you again eatcomics! Let's livin' up the joint, shall we?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Totally about to follow through with the whole moderator recruiting mentioned in this topic now that the traffic on this boards is drastically increasing... Hold onto your assholes!