Galaxy Bear Returns!

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

DatamancerStudios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Galaxy Bear Returns!

Post by DatamancerStudios »

Hey all, we started working on Galaxy Bear again after a few years ( some of you may remember it ).
It's going well so far, and we'd just like some feedback on our initial screenshots.
If you are interested in our little story we also started a blog ( screenshots inside! ):
http://datamancerstudios.blogspot.com/

Thanks guys, would love to hear your feedback!
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Galaxy Bear Returns!

Post by Light-Dark »

Looks great man keep up the hard work! On a side note, the graphics kind of remind me of Super Mario World :P.
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
DatamancerStudios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Thanks for your feedback! The art direction may change once I get a "real" artist on board. But it's working for me right now!
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by bbguimaraes »

Loved those graphics ;)
DatamancerStudios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Thank you! We are currently debating between the pixel art style or a more modern hi-res cartoony look.
SomeAwesomeUsername
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by SomeAwesomeUsername »

DatamancerStudios wrote:Hey all, we started working on Galaxy Bear again after a few years ( some of you may remember it ).
It's going well so far, and we'd just like some feedback on our initial screenshots.
If you are interested in our little story we also started a blog ( screenshots inside! ):

I love all the detail you guys put into that. How many people are working on it with you?
DatamancerStudios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

So far it has just been me, however I have an artist friend who will be joining the project soon and revamping it. The game idea itself is also changing significantly, although still going to be a platformer.
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

DatamancerStudios wrote:Hey all, we started working on Galaxy Bear again after a few years ( some of you may remember it ).

Loving the art on this
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
DatamancerStudios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Hey guys, just making a post on here to let you know that I made a new blog post explaining our current situation and we should be getting on track with development soon. I have been working tirelessly on writing an engine from scratch rather than using Unity, and I have an artist joining the party so things should be shaping up soon!

It has also come to my attention that I never really explained much about the project, so once we knock out some design details I will try to update with a FAQ or something...

Thanks all!
ph0sph0ruz
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC,Xbox,Dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C,C++

Post by ph0sph0ruz »

DatamancerStudios wrote:Hey guys, just making a post on here to let you know that I made a new blog post explaining our current situation and we should be getting on track with development soon. I have been working tirelessly on writing an engine from scratch rather than using Unity, and I have an artist joining the party so things should be shaping up soon!

It has also come to my attention that I never really explained much about the project, so once we knock out some design details I will try to update with a FAQ or something...

Thanks all!
I came to the same conclusion as you on the engine. Personally I think it's worth every effort in the end. Good Luck, I look forward to seeing more.
DatamancerStudios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Back again, made another blog post for you guys to check out with fancy pants 3D Rendering!
http://datamancerstudios.blogspot.com/2 ... ngine.html

I'd really like to know if anyone would be interested in Engine/Design videos and blogposts while we prepare a game idea and wait until summer where we can get time to go ham on the dev.

Thank you for any feedback!
ph0sph0ruz
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by ph0sph0ruz »

DatamancerStudios wrote:Back again, made another blog post for you guys to check out with fancy pants 3D Rendering!
http://datamancerstudios.blogspot.com/2 ... ngine.html

I'd really like to know if anyone would be interested in Engine/Design videos and blogposts while we prepare a game idea and wait until summer where we can get time to go ham on the dev.

Thank you for any feedback!
I'd be interested in seeing those. I'm at the point where I'm beginning to create my own engine based on the Entity Component System. I am going to abstract out everything into systems so that I can rip and replace if needed and support different rendering systems and such. I have some base code already from other projects and I'm thinking of just making a simple game at first with it to test it out as I go along developing the ECS portion.
DatamancerStudios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

This engine I'm working on was originally a component system. I am very familiar with Unity, and was using it for a while and after coming back to c++ I decided to implement similar design. However, I did role back to the deep hierarchy or whatever you call it approach with the Base Entity-GameObject-Actor ( called an Actor in my engine ). I just feel more at home with this approach and I find myself writing less hook-together/management code to keep all the components glued together. It's all personal preference really though. The gamer will likely never see your code!
ph0sph0ruz
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by ph0sph0ruz »

DatamancerStudios wrote:This engine I'm working on was originally a component system. I am very familiar with Unity, and was using it for a while and after coming back to c++ I decided to implement similar design. However, I did role back to the deep hierarchy or whatever you call it approach with the Base Entity-GameObject-Actor ( called an Actor in my engine ). I just feel more at home with this approach and I find myself writing less hook-together/management code to keep all the components glued together. It's all personal preference really though. The gamer will likely never see your code!
Good to know. I know ECS is probably overkill for a smaller game but I like the scalability of it. I know it's possible to scale with other systems but I want to keep systems separate enough so I can rip and replace later without too much hassle. I guess I'll find out.

So yeah I'm definitely interested to hear how your work is going and I'll be airing my dirty laundry as I go along as well.
DatamancerStudios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

New blogpost is up:

We decided our idea direction and we are going to be implementing online multiplayer! I will probably start a new topic with the game name to keep it seperate from this original topic, since so much has changed.