BrainCollect (Free Android game)

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

BrainCollect (Free Android game)

Post by superLED »

Hello guys!

I have just released my first game for the Android platform. It's called BrainCollect, and you can find it here: BrainCollect.
Or by searching for "BrainCollect", and it will be the only result (in my experience).

Logo: (Click to go to the Google Play store)

- Images -
(Click for larger image)

Menu:

Game Play:

Game Play:

Game Over:
Last edited by superLED on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:24 am, edited 10 times in total.
EddieRingle
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: BrainCollect (Free Android game)

Post by EddieRingle »

Here's what the two scenes look like on my Nexus 5 (1920x1080px, xxhdpi).

By the way, the back button doesn't exit the game. I know you're still working on it, but please don't eat that event and send it to oblivion.

How is your game set up? Are you using straight Android Views, SurfaceView & Canvas, or OpenGL? (Or are you using something like AndEngine?)

0x0000000
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Pokemans
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Gameboy Advance SP, Mac, Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by 0x0000000 »

I got a score of 47 on my second try!

I really dig the pong physics which helps a lot when the zombie is going in random directions.

Great game dude!

Here is a screenshot (Nexus 4):
Screenshot_2014-02-05-11-03-48.png
(233.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Don't ask me about my username.
> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8520&start=999999#p85581
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by superLED »

Thanks a lot for testing out the game!
I've made an update, and tried to tweak around with some variables. I know the collision boxes may be a little too big, but I think the game should look somewhat OK now (text placement is still a bit off).
EddieRingle wrote:Here's what the two scenes look like on my Nexus 5 (1920x1080px, xxhdpi).
By the way, the back button doesn't exit the game. I know you're still working on it, but please don't eat that event and send it to oblivion.
How is your game set up? Are you using straight Android Views, SurfaceView & Canvas, or OpenGL? (Or are you using something like AndEngine?)
I am using SurfaceView & Canvas. I've looked though some AndEngine tutorials, and it looks like it has a built in "scaling system" (scales the scene to fit the screen).
So I think I'll just write the game with AndEngine if I can get it up and running.
Oh, and with the new update, I've fixed it so you can exit the game with the Back button :D
0x0000000 wrote:I got a score of 47 on my second try!

I really dig the pong physics which helps a lot when the zombie is going in random directions.

Great game dude!
47 isn't bad :D
I'm glad you liked the game, and that you gave it a try!
In the new update, your highscore will be stored (and shown in the Game Over screen), so you can show it to all your friends 8)
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Light-Dark »

Congratulations on the release :)! I wish I could give it a spin but awhile ago I made the (bad) choice to get an apple phone and over the years it has proven to be quite a resilient fucker.
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by superLED »

Light-Dark wrote:Congratulations on the release :)! I wish I could give it a spin but awhile ago I made the (bad) choice to get an apple phone and over the years it has proven to be quite a resilient fucker.
Thanks a lot! Really appreciate it.

I've decided to rewrite the game with AndEngine. I believe this is the approach I'll take for future projects as well, since it seems stable and easy to work with.
For each day my game sits in the market, my shame grows; people downloading it, giving it a shot, and it's totally fucked up atm. I hope the AndEngine version will be up there in the beginning of this week.
At least a simple, yet playable version.
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by superLED »

Hello again! I just finished the AndEngine version of this game. I would be really happy if some of you could confirm that this game is running as it should :)
EddieRingle
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by EddieRingle »

superLED wrote:Hello again! I just finished the AndEngine version of this game. I would be really happy if some of you could confirm that this game is running as it should :)
Much nicer now! The only other things I'd say are that you might want to consider a higher resolution font (text is blurry on high density screens) and perhaps Google Play Games integration. Well done!
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by superLED »

EddieRingle wrote:
superLED wrote:Hello again! I just finished the AndEngine version of this game. I would be really happy if some of you could confirm that this game is running as it should :)
Much nicer now! The only other things I'd say are that you might want to consider a higher resolution font (text is blurry on high density screens) and perhaps Google Play Games integration. Well done!
Thanks a lot!
The font itself is perfect. It's just that my game screen is 240x400. The text gets written in there, and then the screen gets resized accordingly to make it all fit the screen.
What I can do, is to make the game in 480x800, and just double the size of all the sprites. Then the font will be written in double the resolution (because I can double its size as well) ^^
OR figure out how to write the text on the screen separate of the game screen size, so its quality is at its fullest, and still take up the same space as it does now. *scratch head*

I will look into Google Play Games integration. Don't know what it is yet, so I'll do some research ^^ (I'm new to this, as you can see)
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by superLED »

New version out!

You now have some buttons on the menu (mute sound/music, Play and Help), and a "Play Again" button on the Game Over screen.
And of course, added a new screen for the Help button.
Also fixed an issue with the sounds.

Now I'm working with Google Play Games integration, so you can check out your friends' skills.
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by superLED »

Another new version is out:

- New background for the Game screen.
- Added sound effect when you are close to loosing.
- Changed position of the score counter.
- Improved the Game Over screen (score and highscore more readable).
- Added a "Rate" button in the menu.
... And some smaller changes that you most likely won't notice.

Didn't get the Google Play Games/Services into the game yet. It crashed my app, so I have to delay it :(