Project Prototype - Requesting Feedback

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

jmcintyretech
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Project Prototype - Requesting Feedback

Post by jmcintyretech »

Last edited by jmcintyretech on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Re: Project Prototype - Requesting Feedback

Post by superLED »

I like the concept. It was a fun game :) Played through all of the levels, and thought I should give you some tips on what you could do to improve the game.

(I'm just trying to help, not nag on your game. I like the game, and would like to see you make it even better ^^)

- It is too slow and easy. When a new level popped up, I knew what to do in ~5 seconds, but had to use ~1 minute (depends on the level) to actually do all the moves.
Maybe you could make the levels a little more complex, and/or remove the empty spaces; don't make me go on a 20 meters long road just to get a key, and then go back again.
The most irritating part was when I had solved everything on the map, and had to go 1-by-1 into the goal.
You could also try changing the movement speed around.

- I always forgot which number to press to control the "monsters". Maybe have a little number abow their head? Or maybe write [1] [2] [3] in the top left corner with the corresponding color.

- One time I got to the goal with one of them, but I actually needed him to do something I oversaw. I had to exit the game and start all over again.
It would be nice to be able to restart the current level.

- I don't see the purpose of the enemies. As of now, it's just a waiting game to pass them (make me use even more time on the map. But this time it's kinda OK, because there's a reason). By touching them, you only get teleported to another place (spawn). So they don't do much.
But I like the idea of having enemies in the game. It gives it a new touch.
What if they also left a fire/grass/water trail behind them, so to pass them, you'd have to clear it with a monster and hurry through, before he comes and replant the fire/grass/water. (You'd still get teleported if he touches you)

I really liked how you introduced us to the new elements (enemies, keys etc). And the first level did the game rules really clear, so I didn't have to suffer for not reading the instructions x)
SomeAwesomeUsername
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by SomeAwesomeUsername »

The hardest part about the game is having the patience to beat each level.
The concept is good, but to be honest the delivery is poor.

Pros:
  • ∙The Concept
    ∙Multiple Characters to control
    ∙Adding concepts such as the enemies, spring, and key along the way
    ∙Little instructions
Cons:
  • ∙Fire, grass, water art
    ∙Slow movement
    ∙No real penalty for dying.
    ∙No puzzles or challenge to the game.
Personally if I made the game I would:
  • ∙Speed each character up significantly.
    ∙Make levels get progressively difficult, along with making it fast paced.(Maybe blocks start moving and can crush the characters, or have the enemies start shooting.)
    ∙Give each level a name, and have it appear in the corner for a few seconds at the start of each level.
    ∙Make enemies chase after the character, at least something simple like

Code: Select all

if(enemy.x < player.x){enemy.x++;}
    else if(enemy.x > player.x){enemy.x--;}
    if(enemy.y < player.y){enemy.y++;}
    else if(enemy.y > player.y){enemy.y--;}
    //really poor way to implement that, but you get the idea haha
    ∙Add movement animations to each character
    ∙Add attacks to each character so they can hurt the skeletons.
    ∙Make a menu so we can pick and choose levels.
    ∙Sound
I'm supportive of this project, hope you continue working on it :mrgreen:

EDIT:
I like this idea.
superLED wrote: - I always forgot which number to press to control the "monsters". Maybe have a little number abow their head? Or maybe write [1] [2] [3] in the top left corner with the corresponding color.
jmcintyretech
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by jmcintyretech »

Last edited by jmcintyretech on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

That was actually quite fun. I like the concept. It reminds me of the first game I ever made, which was influenced by Chip's Challenge. If you never heard of it, you should check out Chip's challenge, it's a great puzzle game. Good work on the prototype.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted: