Falco's worst nightmare realized

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

MasterDunk
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Falco's worst nightmare realized

Post by MasterDunk »

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/20 ... g-of-java/

I am sure you like some of the lines referring to its ability such as

"...software that has been finely tuned over the past fifteen years to run code at speed"

and

"Java is really the only choice when it comes to the requirements for a company like ours — extreme performance requirements..." :lol:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Falco's worst nightmare realized

Post by Falco Girgis »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

It's important to realize that by "Java" they are referring to a Java Virtual Machine (JVM), not necessarily the Java programming language. In fact, it is possible to compile a whole slew of languages to Java byte code to execute on a JVM these days. C being among them. Using the JVM as a backbone for huge, scalable web applications is not something new, major websites have been doing it for years.

It's also worth noting that Sun (now Oracle)'s JVM is just one of many proprietary, commercial, and open source implementations of the JVM. Wiki has a large list here.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
wtetzner
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: waterbear, GBA game + editor
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Game Boy Advance
Programming Language of Choice: OCaml

Post by wtetzner »

dandymcgee wrote:It's important to realize that by "Java" they are referring to a Java Virtual Machine (JVM), not necessarily the Java programming language. In fact, it is possible to compile a whole slew of languages to Java byte code to execute on a JVM these days. C being among them. Using the JVM as a backbone for huge, scalable web applications is not something new, major websites have been doing it for years.

It's also worth noting that Sun (now Oracle)'s JVM is just one of many proprietary, commercial, and open source implementations of the JVM. Wiki has a large list here.
In fact I believe Twitter uses Scala and Clojure, not Java-the-language.

Also, keep in mind that when they're talking about performance they're comparing to Ruby.
The novice realizes that the difference between code and data is trivial. The expert realizes that all code is data. And the true master realizes that all data is code.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

And trust me, the JIT managed C/++ equivalents for .NET and JAVA bytecode are extremely bastardized, obviously. You can't produce safe code with either language.