AdBlock Starts Full-Fledged Ad Campaign

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

AdBlock Starts Full-Fledged Ad Campaign

Post by dandymcgee »

The creator of AdBlock has come up with arguably the most ingenious plan of action to eliminate internet advertising that I have ever seen. He is starting a crowd-sourced fund to fund a $25,000 ad campaign to raise public awareness of the existence of the AdBlock plug-in. Using ads to defeat advertisement, it's brilliant!
https://campaign.getadblock.com/adblock ... d-the-word

My only fear is that this will prompt advertisers to come up with even more painfully intrusive ways to invade our everyday lives with advertisement for completely useless shit. Even so, I will continue happily enjoying the lull until they manage to break though my trusty AdBlock wall.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: AdBlock Starts Full-Fledged Ad Campaign

Post by eatcomics »

dandymcgee wrote:The creator of AdBlock has come up with arguably the most ingenious plan of action to eliminate internet advertising that I have ever seen. He is starting a crowd-sourced fund to fund a $25,000 ad campaign to raise public awareness of the existence of the AdBlock plug-in. Using ads to defeat advertisement, it's brilliant!

My only fear is that this will prompt advertisers to come up with even more painfully intrusive ways to invade our everyday lives with advertisement for completely useless shit. Even so, I will continue happily enjoying the lull until they manage to break though my trusty AdBlock wall.
I noticed the other day that pandora was getting around this by making their background a giant advertisement that shuffles every couple of songs. It was agonizing to look at...
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

eatcomics wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:The creator of AdBlock has come up with arguably the most ingenious plan of action to eliminate internet advertising that I have ever seen. He is starting a crowd-sourced fund to fund a $25,000 ad campaign to raise public awareness of the existence of the AdBlock plug-in. Using ads to defeat advertisement, it's brilliant!

I noticed the other day that pandora was getting around this by making their background a giant advertisement that shuffles every couple of songs. It was agonizing to look at...
1) I've never seen this with AdBlock installed (just tested a second ago).
2) Why would you LOOK at Pandora?? Just minimize it.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

dandymcgee wrote:
eatcomics wrote:

1) I've never seen this with AdBlock installed (just tested a second ago).
2) Why would you LOOK at Pandora?? Just minimize it.
They've removed it already. I have it open on my other monitor all day at work, I'm bound to see it eventually. :P It was only for a 2-3 day period that this was going on. Or maybe they didn't remove it and adblock got updated to block it, I'm not sure.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

eatcomics wrote: I have [Pandora] open on my other monitor all day at work, I'm bound to see it eventually
That's a really inefficient use of an entire monitor, haha. I have VS on one monitor, Outlook / web browser (documentation, ES forums) on the other.
eatcomics wrote:Or maybe they didn't remove it and adblock got updated to block it, I'm not sure.
That seems more likely. ;)
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

dandymcgee wrote:
eatcomics wrote: I have [Pandora] open on my other monitor all day at work, I'm bound to see it eventually
That's a really inefficient use of an entire monitor, haha. I have VS on one monitor, Outlook / web browser (documentation, ES forums) on the other.
eatcomics wrote:Or maybe they didn't remove it and adblock got updated to block it, I'm not sure.
That seems more likely. ;)
Yeah, I don't just use this monitor for Pandora, it's just where my browser is. I have enough shit open to make me not want to split up browser tabs :P
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by bbguimaraes »

Man, I would literally kill to have a second monitor at work...
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

bbguimaraes wrote:Man, I would literally kill to have a second monitor at work...
I didn't have one and my boss did.. i mentioned to him and the next day when I came into work my boss's monitor was sitting on my desk. Haha.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Light-Dark »

dandymcgee wrote: My only fear is that this will prompt advertisers to come up with even more painfully intrusive ways to invade our everyday lives with advertisement for completely useless shit.
I share the same concern, no doubt they will find ways to intrude even more than they already do just so they can have the satisfaction of knowing that they have tried to get at the wallet of every last possible consumer.
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by bbguimaraes »

dandymcgee wrote:
bbguimaraes wrote:Man, I would literally kill to have a second monitor at work...
I didn't have one and my boss did.. i mentioned to him and the next day when I came into work my boss's monitor was sitting on my desk. Haha.
We are close to fifty devs and ops guys in a single room, so I think it would be a little difficult to convince my boss to double the amount of monitors.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

bbguimaraes wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:
We are close to fifty devs and ops guys in a single room, so I think it would be a little difficult to convince my boss to double the amount of monitors.
You don't need to convince him to get everyone a new monitor, just convince him to give his to you. ;)

In reality, this only happened after I had been using my own second monitor I brought from home for a few months. I had a laptop at the time so I just used that when I was home.