What projects are you currently working on?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

JesseH
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Linux
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: What projects are you currently working on?

Post by JesseH »

I am working on a 2d (local multiplayer, as in ~use the same keyboard~ style) game that has gameplay similar to Gauntlet II on the NES. All the graphics at the moment are shitty placeholders, but the engine itself is looking quite nice. It is written in Lua, using LÖVE. I would give a repo link but it's private. :>
You can expect a release sometime mid-may. Do not hold me up to that though. :/
http://www.github.com/jessehorne
##jesseh -- on Freenode :)
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

JesseH wrote:I am working on a 2d (local multiplayer, as in ~use the same keyboard~ style) game that has gameplay similar to Gauntlet II on the NES. All the graphics at the moment are shitty placeholders, but the engine itself is looking quite nice. It is written in Lua, using LÖVE. I would give a repo link but it's private. :>
You can expect a release sometime mid-may. Do not hold me up to that though. :/
That's awesome. I always loved gauntlet. I love this idea :) Hey... yeah know, there are some pretty cheap Nintendo controls that are USB. I got one on ebay not too long ago. It would be awesome if that could be tied in. If you're using SDL it would be pretty simple, and heck if you made the repo public I could even add it in if you weren't wanting to do that.
jmcintyretech
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by jmcintyretech »

Last edited by jmcintyretech on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

Falco, you're fired. DistortedLance will be taking over the next AiGD.
DistortedLance wrote:I've been working on a level editor of sorts (Qt/C++), and I think I'm far along enough to post something about it:

There are four tile layers (two for terrain and two for objects), as well as Collision and Entity layers (although entities are not implemented yet). You can see the current selection in the Sheet View dock widget, and the currently drawing selection in the main view to the right (it's in region-filling mode in the image).

Just a small list of features:
  • Undo/Redo with shortcuts (working for all tile placement and collision placement)
  • Copy/Paste tile selections (even across maps, although it'll look funny if the sheets are different)
  • Tabbed map browsing
  • Create new areas and open saved areas from the menu
  • Rotate selection with arrow keys
  • Zoom in and out of the map with Ctrl+Wheel (alternatively Ctrl+Minus / Ctrl+Plus; reset the view with Space)
  • Multiple tile selection (there are four tree tiles selected in the image)
  • Region-filling (fills the entire rectangular area with the selected tile(s); useful for filling the map with grass)
  • Save and Save All prompts before quitting (I swear, it's an incredibly feature)
  • Asterisks for unsaved maps (except for newly-created-though-not-yet-saved maps)
With the way I have it set up, you can't use any of the fancy placement modes with the Collision layer - the selection is always a single collision box, and it can't be changed (left-click to place and right-click to remove). Click-and-drag is available, but I don't know if it would be worth implementing other kinds of collision selections (I would either need a collision "palette" in the sheet view, or have the default selection to be a single collision box and allow for fancy collision selection). The most useful tool for collision, if I were to implement one, would be region-filling for large, straight sections of collision.

I'm using a ton of QGraphicsItems to represent the tiles (and they fetch the proper QPixmap and render their own decorations in their paint function), although I'm wondering if this has a significant effect on performance. So far, I find no performance issues except when switching maps (about a second to a second and a half when switching between large areas - say, 150x150 - and I think I know why this is). I'm wondering if using a QGLWidget would offer much of an improvement. I would love any advice from the more experienced Qt gurus on the board!

Also, there is no "Project" structure at the moment - everything is just "standalone", so to speak. I might change things around to have some kind of project-like cohesiveness to make it easier to link maps together (otherwise, there could be issues when renaming maps and such). I do, at the very least, have the darn thing properly fetching the relative paths of files when using the "Browse" button when creating new areas. Was such a pain when I forced my brother to test some stuff for me T_T

Stuff I could get done quickly if I didn't lack motivation would be area property editing (width, height, name, sheets) and a prettier Layer View (it's disguuuusting - and I don't even intend for Entity to be an editable layer (I plan for that to be done in a separate dock). I just stuck the radio button there because I was lazy).

The editor is completed to the point where I should probably work on an engine to actually utilize the maps it spits out. I currently have some rectangles testing the separating axis theorem -_-
DistortedLance
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by DistortedLance »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:Falco, you're fired. DistortedLance will be taking over the next AiGD.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
DistortedLance wrote:I've been working on a level editor of sorts (Qt/C++), and I think I'm far along enough to post something about it:

There are four tile layers (two for terrain and two for objects), as well as Collision and Entity layers (although entities are not implemented yet). You can see the current selection in the Sheet View dock widget, and the currently drawing selection in the main view to the right (it's in region-filling mode in the image).

Just a small list of features:
  • Undo/Redo with shortcuts (working for all tile placement and collision placement)
  • Copy/Paste tile selections (even across maps, although it'll look funny if the sheets are different)
  • Tabbed map browsing
  • Create new areas and open saved areas from the menu
  • Rotate selection with arrow keys
  • Zoom in and out of the map with Ctrl+Wheel (alternatively Ctrl+Minus / Ctrl+Plus; reset the view with Space)
  • Multiple tile selection (there are four tree tiles selected in the image)
  • Region-filling (fills the entire rectangular area with the selected tile(s); useful for filling the map with grass)
  • Save and Save All prompts before quitting (I swear, it's an incredibly feature)
  • Asterisks for unsaved maps (except for newly-created-though-not-yet-saved maps)
With the way I have it set up, you can't use any of the fancy placement modes with the Collision layer - the selection is always a single collision box, and it can't be changed (left-click to place and right-click to remove). Click-and-drag is available, but I don't know if it would be worth implementing other kinds of collision selections (I would either need a collision "palette" in the sheet view, or have the default selection to be a single collision box and allow for fancy collision selection). The most useful tool for collision, if I were to implement one, would be region-filling for large, straight sections of collision.

I'm using a ton of QGraphicsItems to represent the tiles (and they fetch the proper QPixmap and render their own decorations in their paint function), although I'm wondering if this has a significant effect on performance. So far, I find no performance issues except when switching maps (about a second to a second and a half when switching between large areas - say, 150x150 - and I think I know why this is). I'm wondering if using a QGLWidget would offer much of an improvement. I would love any advice from the more experienced Qt gurus on the board!

Also, there is no "Project" structure at the moment - everything is just "standalone", so to speak. I might change things around to have some kind of project-like cohesiveness to make it easier to link maps together (otherwise, there could be issues when renaming maps and such). I do, at the very least, have the darn thing properly fetching the relative paths of files when using the "Browse" button when creating new areas. Was such a pain when I forced my brother to test some stuff for me T_T

Stuff I could get done quickly if I didn't lack motivation would be area property editing (width, height, name, sheets) and a prettier Layer View (it's disguuuusting - and I don't even intend for Entity to be an editable layer (I plan for that to be done in a separate dock). I just stuck the radio button there because I was lazy).

The editor is completed to the point where I should probably work on an engine to actually utilize the maps it spits out. I currently have some rectangles testing the separating axis theorem -_-
I'm glad you like it, although taking over AiGD seems like it would be too much work, hehe.

Since I posted, I got the project hierarchy all set up, switched over to using fewer QGraphicsItems (made the load time when switching areas pretty much nothing, which was a pain before), and have a logical "Area Group" that groups Areas together (mainly for the future, since creating links between Areas would have required sifting through an unsorted list of every Area in the project...). I'm still too lazy to add anything to change map properties, though. I know it should take about 5 minutes, but that's too much work. Collision boxes also still have to be laid singly. Oops.

Actually, I've been trying to figure out a way to manage depth buffering. I could just be lazy and say the maximum size for all entities is the tile resolution, but that's so restricting T_T

http://i.imgur.com/GF9HTk1.png

EDIT: I just realized that switching the active layer to the Entity layer crashed the editor. Lazy fix: Remove the button that enables the Entity layer :D I'll figure out a way to manage that once I have an entity system figured out.
Tim Wilson
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C++ & Python

Post by Tim Wilson »

DistortedLance wrote: Actually, I've been trying to figure out a way to manage depth buffering.
My way of doing depth buffering is sorting what needs to be drawn into separate layers, and drawing the separated components by iterating over the layers in z-index order.
SomeAwesomeUsername
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by SomeAwesomeUsername »

I've been working on this rts game with the gameplay style of Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 for the past month.
When the player wins or loses, animated winning/losing text with fire particles.
And when a unit is shooting, http://imgur.com/LxQE0Bv

I've only been working on it like every other weekend so I haven't gotten far in it, but I have posted two cheap, shitty, AIGD knockoffs on YouTube.
http://youtu.be/BxCj4SYW6XM?t=14s
http://youtu.be/ml2hlYBngrY?t=3m54s

EDIT: Looked at this post on my phone, didn't realize how bright my monitor was. Will have to make the game brighter, for now I'll just brighten the screenshots in paint.net.
jmcintyretech
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by jmcintyretech »

SomeAwesomeUsername wrote:I've been working on this rts game with the gameplay style of Command & Conquer
Nice looking work SomeAwesomeUsername! Can't wait to see the finished product.
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

I spent the last days implementing cel shading with OpenGL ES2.0 for my game. You can also see a little fist fight against the AI in this video ;)

PS: watch on 720p!

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Lmao, the fighting dudes are awesome.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Benjamin100 »

I read about that kind of shading in the Real-Time Rendering book.
Looks cool, K-bal.
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

Thanks guys. It was quite a lot of work actually. Not understanding the technique but implementing it with libGDX and the usual OpenGL hassles. I'm currently writing a blog post about it to save people with the same goal from hours of frustration.
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

I just ordered an Oculus Rift ;) I can't wait to start deving!!
Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, N64
Programming Language of Choice: Proper C++

Post by Nokurn »

I'm working my way through the Project Euler problems. Right now, I'm writing them in C, though I might try my hand at solving them using something functional, possibly Haskell or a Lisp, since the problems are intended as learning exercises. I'm on problem 11 after an hour or so of work, most of which was spent optimizing my solution for problem 7, which has proved quite useful in other prime problems. I want to get a few more down, then go back and optimize further. I'm tempted to post my solutions on GitHub, but it's against the spirit of the competition, so I probably won't.
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

Only a picture: