Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword?

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword?

Post by Falco Girgis »

Damn, I'm SO glad I gave this game another chance... I played just the intro a few months ago, and never really picked it back up. But fucking hell, I'm only a few hours in, and I think it's amazing.

I really hated Twilight Princess's storyline. It was bordering incoherent, and I don't remember anything from it. Skyward Sword's isn't anything complex or groundbreaking, but at least it seems somewhat story-driven and relevant to the gameplay.

What were your thoughts on this game? So far I'm going to have to say that I certainly prefer it to Twilight. Only time will tell how it stacks up against Ocarina...
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword?

Post by eatcomics »

Falco Girgis wrote:Damn, I'm SO glad I gave this game another chance... I played just the intro a few months ago, and never really picked it back up. But fucking hell, I'm only a few hours in, and I think it's amazing.

I really hated Twilight Princess's storyline. It was bordering incoherent, and I don't remember anything from it. Skyward Sword's isn't anything complex or groundbreaking, but at least it seems somewhat story-driven and relevant to the gameplay.

What were your thoughts on this game? So far I'm going to have to say that I certainly prefer it to Twilight. Only time will tell how it stacks up against Ocarina...
I honestly haven't played it yet, and I'm not sure why. My brother did his usual 3 day beat the new Zelda game run. He really enjoyed it, he also said he liked it more than Twilight Princess. I'm still not sure how I feel about TP, I enjoyed it, but at the same time I didn't enjoy it like I do other Zelda games. I'm almost thinking that because I wasn't really big on TP I didn't feel like trying skyward sword.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

I really liked the dark, brooding atmosphere and lighting in Twilight Princess, and I enjoyed the dungeons and Zelda-style gameplay quite a bit... But I really thought the storyline and characters were bland as all shit. I mean, even Ocarina didn't have much to offer in those areas, but the storyline was at least coherent to me, and the characters didn't make me want to facepalm even if I don't remember them.
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

I really wanna play it, but in Norway it's kinda expensive, and I also would need to buy those motion-plus controllers as well. Heard that the game didn't work of play well without it. (Can someone confirm this?)
I'll most definitely get it some day and play it through.

Twilight Princess was a thrill to play. I left it somewhere around 70% of the game tho, because the story became too dull and nothing gave me the drift to continue.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

superLED wrote:Heard that the game didn't work of play well without it. (Can someone confirm this?)
I don't even think the game will let you play without the MotionPlus...
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

superLED wrote:Twilight Princess was a thrill to play. I left it somewhere around 70% of the game tho, because the story became too dull and nothing gave me the drift to continue.
So true
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Just beat the first temple! Still loving the shit out of the game!
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

I do like that enemies were enhanced to require tact in defeating them. I still dislike the motion control. I think the tact could have been achieved with a traditional control scheme. :(

Koloktos is the best boss though. ^_^
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:I do like that enemies were enhanced to require tact in defeating them. I still dislike the motion control. I think the tact could have been achieved with a traditional control scheme. :(
I can't agree more. The motion control gets in my way of having fun and relax playing the game. I did enjoyed swinging the controller to do cool basic stuff with my sword. And the fishing. That's OK. Other than that, I can't say I'm down with it.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES

Post by hurstshifter »

While I did enjoy Skyward Sword, I don't believe it was a 'great' Zelda game. Maybe slightly better than Twilight Princess.

Here is a great article by Tevis Thompson on the current state of the Zelda franchise and what is wrong with it. http://tevisthompson.com/saving-zelda/
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Really?

I know one of the biggest complaints is that there is no giant-ass, open Shadow-of-the-Colossus-y world anymore... But I'm really glad they did away with it.

I don't remember anything about Twilight's overworld, because it was just so damn bland and boring. It was just a giant pain in the ass that wasted my time every time I wanted to from area to area... Sure, it had secrets, but they were so sparse that most of the field was just uneventful...

I think with the new format, the overworld is so much fresher and more exciting. Each area is more like it's own mini temple. Since it isn't a big ass open space anymore, they can add all kinds of secret and paths and areas to explore. Also, since they are no longer directly connected, each region seems to be a lot more diverse. With one big-ass overworld area, you can't really just transition directly from forest to volcano. If the areas are segmented like they are in Skyward, you can pull it off.
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

Best part:

Groose.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:Best part:

Groose.
I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE THAT FUCKER...

so far.
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

Falco, you are a disgrace... a disgroose... 8D
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

I have to admit... the more I progress in this game, the more I am starting to really dislike it.

At first, it was absolutely amazing. You travel from area to area, exploring the shit out of new places, and going to dungeons. The overworld was fucking fantastic, because each area was like its own minidungeon, rather than being a bland-ass waste of time that was just there to get you from point A to point B (Hyrule field in OoT and Twilight).

...but all is not well in the land of Skyward Sword. After the third temple, that magic wears off... because now you revisit the same fucking three places every goddamn time. I just fought the same boss for a third time! What the fuck kind of Zelda game is this? There should NEVER be a repeat like that!

It's truly sad to me that with such amazing puzzles and such an amazing overworld, Nintendo decided to be so fucking lazy as to make you revisit every area 10 times. Each time gets more and more fucking annoying... You have to do the stupid ass "shadow realm" things where you have to collect all of the spirit orbs THEN you have to collect all of the notes for the dragons? Seriously WHAT THE FUCK!?

I can't help but feel like they have ruined the game at this point. It's a chore for me to play. I long for a new area or at least a new dungeon, but I know how much damn repetitive time-wasting bullshit I'm going to have to do to get there. IGN gave this game a 10/10? Are you shitting me?