The Toolkit is Born!

General discussion pertaining to Elysian Shadows, ESTk, ESGamma, and the Adventures in Game Development series.

Moderators: News Mods, Elysian Shadows Team

The Toolkit is Born!

Postby dandymcgee on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:21 pm

Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: The Toolkit is Born!

Postby Falco Girgis on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn that's some old shit.

We still very much utilize a "Model-View Controller" approach (offered by QT), but the actual mechanism we use is quite a bit different. There are no longer "modifiable" versions of each class that maintain temporary values that are eventually stored within the elysian/Toolkit versions of each class once a modification has been accepted...

I suppose a better analogy would be that the widgets themselves represent the "modifiable" versions of the data. Then these widgets are connected to the Toolkit's classes through the signal and slots mechanism. Then, when the widget is being done edited, the signals fire to the Toolkit's classes which then update their encapsulated AssetIO classes.
"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby Arce on Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Wow! :shock2:

That is definitely some old stuff!

It is important to keep in mind that this was written long before the birth of the AssetIO framework, which helped to circumvent the synchronization problems by decoupling the stored data from each class. In addition to this, my experience with Qt was very limited at this point in time. Qt's "signals and slots" framework (http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot/si ... slots.html) exists almost entirely to solve problems like this.

While it is easy to implement the MVC paradigm using signals and slots, the paradigm that Qt ultimately uses is actually a bit different. It wasn't until I really got my hands wet that I came to fully respect and understand the way Qt does things, which is formally called the "Model/View" architecture. Qt entirely circumvents the concept of a "controller" by instead using delegates.

Here's a great read for those who are interested:

http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot/mo ... mming.html

As entertaining as it was to reread this very old post, I feel somewhat embarrassed by my apparent lack of experience. I feel morally compelled to write a lengthy followup to this post detailing the way Falco and I have integrated the model/view paradigm into the toolkit. If this happens, however, I'll have to get Falco onboard to decipher some of his complicated template goodness. ;)
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Arce
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Postby Falco Girgis on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:34 pm

I actually already have a rape post/article detailing all of the crazy templates that I wrote to keep the MVC and AssetIO data synchronized. It's already on the site too...
"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby dandymcgee on Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:14 pm

I love the design mockups, they're so professional. ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby MistahJones on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:54 am

Hello!

I'm looking to get started trying to program using your ESTk toolkit. Where can I find it?
MistahJones
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby dandymcgee on Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:11 pm

MistahJones wrote:Hello!

I'm looking to get started trying to program using your ESTk toolkit. Where can I find it?

Your enthusiasm and interest is most appreciated, but the toolkit has not yet been released.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby MistahJones on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:33 pm

Oh.

Okay. Gives me time to work on setting up my environment.
MistahJones
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby HeadClot on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:27 pm

Really hyped for tool kit :)
HeadClot
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby chrissyp on Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:54 pm

dandymcgee wrote:
MistahJones wrote:Hello!

Your enthusiasm and interest is most appreciated, but the toolkit has not yet been released.

Is the tool kit only being released when ES comes out? I wanna start working on my projects now! lol. Is there any software out now that is comptiable with the tool kit, so we can get some work started say graphics or music files?
chrissyp
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby dandymcgee on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:18 am

chrissyp wrote:Is the tool kit only being released when ES comes out? I wanna start working on my projects now! lol. Is there any software out now that is comptiable with the tool kit, so we can get some work started say graphics or music files?

I already answered this in your other topic here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9078&p=90957#p90957 but I'll answer it again here:

It has been stated that ESTk will be released early access to KickStarter backers who contributed for the early access backer reward. As to when the actual ESTk will be released to the public, this has yet to be announced. ESTk is a 100% custom tool set. There are no existing tools to my knowledge which are compatible with ESTk's file formats.

Again, it's really great to see all of the enthusiasm swelling up, but there is still much work to be done!
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby chrissyp on Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:13 am

dandymcgee wrote:
chrissyp wrote:Is the tool kit only being released when ES comes out? I wanna start working on my projects now! lol. Is there any software out now that is comptiable with the tool kit, so we can get some work started say graphics or music files?

I already answered this in your other topic here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9078&p=90957#p90957 but I'll answer it again here:

It has been stated that ESTk will be released early access to KickStarter backers who contributed for the early access backer reward. As to when the actual ESTk will be released to the public, this has yet to be announced. ESTk is a 100% custom tool set. There are no existing tools to my knowledge which are compatible with ESTk's file formats.

Again, it's really great to see all of the enthusiasm swelling up, but there is still much work to be done!

thank for the reply! Too late to be an early backer i take it?
chrissyp
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby dandymcgee on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:05 am

chrissyp wrote:thank for the reply! Too late to be an early backer i take it?

It's never too late! If you're interested in reserving a copy of Elysian Shadows you can do so via the homepage http://www.elysianshadows.com.

If you purchase one of the bundles that has "Beta Access" in the list of perks (there are two: "The Spectator" and "The Limited Edition") and shoot me a message, I'll see to it that you make it into the "ES Beta Backer" group on the forums.

Just to be clear: the toolkit is not yet released for *anyone*, including beta backers. However, beta backers will get exclusive early access when the development team feels they are ready for that stage.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Return to Elysian Shadows Discussion