2D Graphic Artist Wanted

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

hullogenic
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

2D Graphic Artist Wanted

Post by hullogenic »

Hey all. I have recently purchased Torque 2D game engine. I have done the tutorials OK and tweaked them a bit. I have some inspirations for my own games. However when it comes to graphics I totally suck. I am willing to pay(via paypal) an artist to do the graphics for me. Obviously you will be mentioned on my game credits. I aim to create a 2d platform game, modern day. It will be a shooter.

I wish for the following

Main character - A soldier. In black clothing. Several weapons. The sprite just needs to be the character I will attach the weapons.
Zombies - Speaks for itself. In scientist clothing. A couple with weapons.
Black Ops - Army type guys. Again I will attach the weapons so can be same as main character
Superhumans - Basically army guys which have been experimented on with chainsaws and the like
Freaks - Some sort of mutated freaks with tentacles, etc
Bosses - A giant Worm for starters, with a head and variable body height so it can go in and out of sand. A tail as well.
Robots - Like the ED robot from robocop and any others, long as they fit in with rest.
Various vehicles - Jeep and helicoptor maybe a tank. Long as they fit in
Aliens - Some sort of sophicticated alien race with weapons.
Headcrab like creature that grows and morphes in some sort of mutant.

Transparent models as well for cloaking devices

Also a couple of front on faces for dialog boxes

Tile sets and backgrounds

Lab
City
Sewers
Space Station
Desert
Forest

I will be willing to pay about £20 per sprite sheet, if this is reasonable. WIll not be able to purchase all once. But can pay for a few per month this will also give me chance to tweak the game.

Required size 39 X 54

If you have any sample please show me and I will contact you.
hullogenic
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Re: 2D Graphic Artist Wanted

Post by hullogenic »

Ok I have a soldier character now. Just working on Zombie and freak characters. Using a model to sprite package. I will post some samples later.
Imrooniel
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Imrooniel »

looking at your list that looks like tons of work. What about background? What about game ui?
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

39x54 is such a wonky size.

I need to write a guide on "how to spec out the art you need"...

Handy Questions:
Style? Pixel art? Hand drawn?

Do you have concept art for what you want, or are you only able to provide rough text approximation of the art?
^ This is relevant, because if you cannot provide concepts, then the game artist will have to. Will they get compensated for this? Concept art is important in commission work. If stuff isn't drawn as concepts, they might end up having to make many iterations of a graphic to fit what you had in mind, but couldn't express.

Separate art types- Characters, Items, Environment, etc.
Is everything the same 39x54 dimensions? Even bosses?

This is a 2D platform game, so only two directions per character? (Left/right)

How many frames of animation per action?

How many sprites are in one sheet?
A sheet of items might be pretty small, but if you have a character that walks, runs, attacks, gets hit, dies, for two directions (or one), with 4 frames of animation each, that's a large sheet.

What actions do you need for every asset?

How experienced are you with the Torque 2D engine? Are you confident that you will be able to finish the game, since so far you've just "done the tutorials OK and tweaked them a bit"?

What are you going to do with the assets if you don't finish the game?

Who owns the assets?

You need to make a list of all of the assets you will need. And I don't mean just for me; I'm just putting this here as reference, not really applying. :)
Here's a sample:
hullogenic
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by hullogenic »

Hey Moosader, thanks for your response. I have just realised how much I am asking for. And yes it is a lot. I am actually going to post a shortened list after the weekend. I have a large collection of royalty free graphics from my FPS Creator model packs which I am converting into sprites, this will cover quite a lot of what I require. I have also just got some webspace so I can start a website showing game development.

I am not a graphics artist at all, I am more interested in the game engine and AI side of things, so I just kind of rambled on about all the graphics I need. As I said I will post a more realistic requirement list and believe me it will be a lot shorter next week. Thanks for your answer though. I am definately going to be making one of those lists of required animations.

Also as to my experience with Torque. I am just going to create a basic side scrolling platform game first. Then add features one by one. They will enhance the gameplay bit by bit. I can already do most of the things I require to make my basic game, apart from adding the vehicles and one or two other little bits, but they are not a priority right now. As long as the player can walk and shoot is all that matters at the minute.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3u07 ... 1_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3u07 ... 2_1280.jpg
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3u07 ... 3_1280.jpg

And yes I know these images are nothing like the size I said. When I originally made my post I hadnt used SpriteMe so this has changed my perspective on graphics creation.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

hullogenic wrote: Also as to my experience with Torque. I am just going to create a basic side scrolling platform game first. Then add features one by one. They will enhance the gameplay bit by bit..
This is a great way to approach a project. Kudos for not telling us all about it being an amazing MMORPGFPSRTS experience right off the bat. :)
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

Moosader wrote:MMORPGFPSRTS
Bless You