Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Re: Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Post by k1net1k »

hello teej fellow australian welcome
zephiro309
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by zephiro309 »

Ohai.

Aspiring developer here. I'm a hobbyist, a lot more inclined to programming, with computer engineering and all.

I just started making games, I'm currently making a crappy Pong clone but, as we all know, we all have to start somewhere, right?

Thanks for your time, assuming my post was noticed at all :mrgreen:
Teser0ck
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Platformer game, Map editor, Particle system
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Teser0ck »

Hi and welcome, good luck with your pong, it's good game to start with :)
JamesParkes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Nintendo 64, Xbox 360

Post by JamesParkes »

zephiro309 wrote:Ohai.

Aspiring developer here. I'm a hobbyist, a lot more inclined to programming, with computer engineering and all.

I just started making games, I'm currently making a crappy Pong clone but, as we all know, we all have to start somewhere, right?

Thanks for your time, assuming my post was noticed at all :mrgreen:
Oh yeah it was noticed Welcome to the forums!
James Parkes
Computer Programmer, Graphic Artist

Email: parkesrjames@gmail.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/parkesrjames
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/parkesrjames
Portfolio: http://james.parkesnet.org
Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, N64
Programming Language of Choice: Proper C++

Post by Nokurn »

Just realized that I never actually introduced myself. I just sort of showed up and started making helpful posts! ;)

I'm a computer science student (currently a sophomore and a half at a community college, but I'm transferring to a university soon). I've been programming since I was 9. I started out with C and quickly moved to C++. I've been interested in making games since I was 11 (I didn't sleep on my 11th birthday; I was up all night making a game). The game that inspired me to get into game development was Diablo II. Since then I've kind of moved around in the field, focusing on games, operating systems, web sites, software for developing applications, network programming, and virtual machines at different points. Now that I'm in college, I've decided to limit my interests slightly, so I'm back to games.

I worked as a consultant for a company based in New York for a while, doing web development (PHP + MySQL) and optimization/features for a highly distributed network application (Objective-C). I've made a lot of throwaway games that never saw the light of day in the past, but recently my sister, who is a very talented artist, and I teamed up and started working on games together. We're going to be releasing our first game this year, probably in the next 1-2 months.

I've been a long time fan of the Adventures in Game Development series--from a distance, at least. Joined the Chaos Rift not too long ago to start getting involved with the great community you've got here and provide assistance where I can.

Pleased to meet you all. :)
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Nokurn wrote:Pleased to meet you all. :)
Nice to have ya.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Ch3sireCat
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Ch3sireCat »

Nyan everyone im Ch3sireCat, and i heard yo Leik Mudkipz So I Put A Mudkipz In Yo Mudkipz So U Can Leik It While Yo lieks It \(=^o^=)/
Azzepa
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: 2D RPG
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by Azzepa »

Hello everyone, I'm new! (You might have guessed)

I am a hobbyist programmer, and I use C++ as my language of choice. I am currently venturing into the world of SDL and graphical programming. My kind of dream is to make my own 2D RPG, which I have many ideas for. Soon I might make a thread with all my development projects in it :)

I found the Adventures in Game Development recently, think it is amazing what they are doing, and am completely in awe and wish I could do what they are doing :worship:

Hope to see you around!
Teser0ck
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Platformer game, Map editor, Particle system

Post by Teser0ck »

Welcome to the forums, Azzepa from IRC :)
Good luck with your development, I hope you'll show us your progress soon
Mutrify
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Wii U, PS2, X360, GBA, 3DS, PS3

Post by Mutrify »

Hello World I'm sort of new. Not really, I have some posts from like 2 years back, but decided to make a new user. Nice to see that there's still people around :)
Website: http://www.mutrify.com (flash games, applications and more :) )
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mutrify (Dev videos)
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

Mutrify wrote:Hello World I'm sort of new. Not really, I have some posts from like 2 years back, but decided to make a new user. Nice to see that there's still people around :)
Welcome back!
Nice to see another Norwegian around here ;)
Haxtatic
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Haxtatic »

Hey there.

Haxtatic here. I'm a third year game programmer student in the Netherlands. 8-)

I have been programming games/ moddeling & texturening 3d moddels/ photoshopping and making sites for a bit longer than one year (13 months to be excact ;) ).
I am currentlly working on a 3D, first person, fantasy, hack 'n slash game in openGL.
Thank you for your time, assuming my post was noticed at all. :mrgreen:

Greetings Haxtatic.
JersyDvl
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Learning to program.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, Master System, NES, SNES.
Programming Language of Choice: C++, C#, Basic, HTML

Post by JersyDvl »

Greetings. I'm JersyDvl. A 29 year old IT guy who has recently decided to get into programming. I am basically coming into this as a newbie. I had some programming experience in high school but all it was was Basic. I have decided to go ahead and attempt to learn C++. I have some (what I think are) great ideas but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

I have started with 3 books so far: "C++ for Dummies" (not that great so far), "Sams Teach Yourself C++ in One Hour a Day (6th Edition)" and "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming".

I started college as a history major, then English before finally settling with IT. There wasn't any programming classes for my degree so C++ is all new to me, but I am really excited to actually learn.

I don't have much of an interest in anything graphically amazing as my love of gaming belongs to the 8 and 16 bit eras. If I manage to get to the point where I can make the game I want, it will most likely have an early NES/Master System style to it.

Anyway, I want to thank the ES team for their youtube channels as they have been great for motivation.

PS: All game developers should adopt the "repulsive beverage motivational method" that you guys have used in the videos. I know I sure has hell would work my ass off to avoid having to drink anything like that lol.
24” iMac, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8 Gigs of Ram
Nvidia GeForce GT 130, 2.5TB HDD
OS X 10.8, Windows 7 Home Premium
22” external display

2012 Macbook Pro 13"
2.5Ghz Intel Core i5
8GB Ram
OS X 10.8 / Windows 7

http://www.geek-spot.net
Valfader
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Valfader »

Hello everyone!

I'm obviously new to the forum and thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself. I've been following the ES development for about 1-2 years now (I think that's right) but mostly through YouTube. Their videos have been a continuing source of inspiration to me, and have kept me motivated for learning programming languages. Over the years I've become pretty good at Visual Basic, and the last few months I've been digging into C++ and C# in order to get some variety in there. You'll probably see me lurking the Game Development and Programming Discussion forums the most.

I'm 27 years old and live in Norway, so if you happen to come across some grammar mistakes or misspellings, try not to give me too hard a time for it. In return I'll do my best to make myself understood.

Oh, and I'm also looking to join minor programming projects for practice. I can't really set aside too much of my spare time as I am also majoring in Biology by day :p
Nohbdy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Learning C++
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Anything capable of expanding the mind.

"I'm fuzzin' foxxin' new!" Said the cat. (Or did he?)

Post by Nohbdy »

First of all.... well "first" of all I should probably say "Hi", or "Hello", or "Greetings"... or maybe not say "or" twice in an English grammar comma-separated list.. thing. What? Oh.. er uh.. well anyway I fuxxeded up that whole "First of all..." idea... so anyway...
Second of all... wtf? -> :worship: :bow:
That's like.. the same thing... The only "bow"-oriented "worship"-ing I can think of is to.. worship a.... bow... archery style. Chyea.
Third of all... I feel like all the random crap before this was perhaps an attempt at being funny, or memorable, or... damn it there's that or-mishap again... or attention seeking. Perhaps pointing out those "honest-ies" in an attempt to be more blunt/self-aware is yet a more nested attention-seeking. And perhaps pointing "that" aspect out is even more-so... I could go on and on.. you get what I mean, right? Left.
Well either way, let's just say I'm in a "mode" right now.... a "state"....... a state other than a United State.... except perhaps it is united.... and yet at the same time I truly "am" in a Uni... ah whatever. What I'm trying to say is, whatever I "am" right now, may not be what I am later. So simple, yet remember that such phrases can be so complex in a flawed language such as English! Yet here I am, adding even more complexity(or in this case confusion, or random rambling depending on your viewpoint) to the whole thing.
Alright, okay... I got this... let's see if I can start over. *ahem*... *clears throat*..... *cough... cough-cough*.... *wheeze-choke-die*......*revive*

Hello, my name is Nohbdy, but you can call me Ryan. Or vice-versa.(Don't call me vice-versa though, because... well.. aw what the heck go ahead)
Once upon a time, I played video games. Then, upon time which once was upon you, I probably just "watched" video games being played.
Either way, twice upon some times, I comprehended video games somewhat. Somewhere between the Super Mario World, Mario Paint, Tomb Raider II, Twisted Metal 2, Breath of Fire III, 3D Movie Maker, Game Maker and the Tomb Raider Level Editor(and whatever else), I must have decided "I'm going to create video games". Ironically, it only took me a small amount of time to realize my true "position" in the creation of games. You know those kids who wanted to "design" games and their ideas and etc? I might have been in that position for a split second of life before I immediately realized... no matter what awesome ideas or visual artistic designs I had, I was most definitely interested in the mechanics, the gameplay, the physics, the abilities to "do" things far more than the "seeing things". It took me a while longer to figure out that the name of that position was, but now I know, it is most definitely "Programmer".
Since then, I.. actually barely got into such a skill sadly, and it's only somewhat recently that I've actually decided to start learning. My language of choice for beginning is C++, and I have my reasons. After much research - and yes, after seeing many "Don't start with C++" statements - I decided this is surely my language of choice as far as I can tell. C? No sir, I shall pick-up C-related coding along the way, minus the bad programming habits and unlearning it seems to bring when starting with it. Java? Hail fuzzing no, as far as I can tell that's just what all the mega-corporations "want you" to learn(joking! kind of... Zeitgeist anyone?).... I'll learn that much later, or until needed. Most likely my next languages will be somewhere around the Lisp, Ruby, or Perl area... but things may change for sure.

Something you must know though, are my ultimate goals. I'm not just in this to "try out" programming, or learn it as just a hobby. It's not even just for a future "job". It's going to be my everything, it will be my career, and my hobby, and.. whatever else I could possibly relate it to. Game Programming is surely going to be a starting point in my career, as well as the core of it from then on. Eventually I may go into more serious ventures. Ventures that hopefully will expand and invent new technologies and programming itself. Serious Games, Simulations, Artificial Intelligence/Life, Robotics. I'd love to get into Operating Systems, New Programming Designs and Paradigms, and Programming Languages themselves. This is no temporary endeavor, my goal is to master as much of the art and science of programming as I can, whether I reach such a mastery or not. It is my method of attempting to increase technological levels to the human species. I believe our future will "soon" be dominated by software in many ways(or at least something similar to software, or technologies requiring programmer-like levels of thinking), and honestly, I think as many people as possible should learn to program. Technology is what I adore and - of course there are many sadly destructive possibilities - it can save humankind from many scheduled and/or unexpected extinctions of us as a whole. From robotics and A.I. for taking over all our mundane and physical-based tasks and leaving us with more intelligent-based jobs, to reaching and colonizing other habitats in space so that we are not a single bulls-eye of a target for some random space anomaly to take us out. One more colonized planet just about doubles our chances of survival, and would practically convert our over-population to "under"-population in need of more colonists.

Honestly, I could go on and on... though every now and then I get too far and lose the point I'm getting at.. like right now! Expect many long paragraphs from me that certain kinds of people easily skip-over(it is no worry, I am only interested in the interested :D), and also expect the unexpected(Be sure to... not expect the expected as well, though also don't expect the unexpected, and expect the expected. Try to also expect to not expect the expected and unexpected, but also expect the... you get the drill. Or maybe I'm just screwing with you? Maybe you nailed it, but the only threads in my metals are the multi-threads in the soft gold metal CPU, running my software. Not to be hard on the hardware, I mean I "will" be there in a bit.. or 10.

I love you.
I'll try to make more sense.... *yawn*... tomorrow.
...and then maybe I'll make "cents" later on...
... unless you are a sensei, sensing the sent monetary-devoid ideas such as resource-based economies...
it could be a turn of the century, but is it a cinch? Perhaps such a time only works in a turn-based system...
I am not sure though, what time is it?
5:25 AM here. I probably should hit the sack, or the hay, but it's too late for that so I'm just gonna go to sleep..
..after going to bed, of course.

Farewell and Wellfare!
Goodbye and Goodnight!

Sincerely,
Nohbdy Ahtall (Ryan)

P.S. Just discovered "Adventures in Game Development" about 2 days ago, and so eventually I decided to join this forum. I'm a wannabe C++ programmer with big dreams, how about you? 'Tis an honor to be here! ^.^ Hope I can do something productive around here!
--- Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad. ---