Yoshi (NES)

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Yoshi (NES)

Post by Falco Girgis »

Graphics: 7.0
Sound: 8.5
Replay: 7.0
Gameplay: 5.5

Review: Yoshi just isn't the type of game people really want to play. No, I take that back. It isn't the type of game that Mario fans really like to play. It doesn't really suck, it just isn't the most entertaining or well polished thing in the world.

The graphics are detailed. They are almost at the peak of sprite detail for the NES. The colors aren't dull, but are so repetitive. You see the same look, colors, and sprites on every single freakin' level. If you advance pretty far, the background color may change, but that is it. The game needed more variety.

Sound was nice. I enjoyed it. There are only three songs that you can chose from. All three are respectably slow and relaxing. Music and sound effects certainly aren't anything special, but they are the highest part of the game. Sound effects would be nice, if they weren't SO FREAKING REPETITIVE!

You control Mario or Luigi at the bottom of the screen. They hold a plate in each of their hands. You can swap plates by pushing the A button. Matching up two of the same enemy causes them to disappear. So, Mario sits at the bottom rotating plates trying to match up two of the same type of enemy so they disappear. Yep, that's the game. After they're gone, the level has been cleared.

In the end, this isn't a bad game. It is just a crappy Mario game. I enjoyed it for a little while. If the review sounded nice, or if you collect either Mario or NES titles buy it. Don't even bother playing it for any other reason.