Modern BIOS Interfaces

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Modern BIOS Interfaces

Post by dandymcgee »

So I just bought myself a nice new computer, and chose an ASUS P8Z68 motherboard after some research. What I didn't realize is how much BIOS has changes in recent years. My BIOS supports a freakin mouse which blew my mind, but the interface is also really slick and loaded with options. It seems as if MSI made a sad attempt at improving their BIOS as well, and it turned out quite horrifically. I'm quite glad I ended up with the ASUS board.

For anyone considering buying a new machine any time soon, I recommend you check out this great BIOS comparison of 3 of the more popular mobos for sale right now.

Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Modern BIOS Interfaces

Post by qpHalcy0n »

Despite the fact that I want to flying squirrel punch that guy straight in the throat, that's pretty indicative of the norm for P67 and Z68 chipsets from your major competitors now. I've got an MSI Z68 board and it's actually got a much nicer interface than that. For the Sandybridge architecture it has numerous stock overclock profiles which are very nice as well. The I5 2500K is a FANTASTIC buy right now as it can be overclocked over 1GHz above stock under air aspiration. That's what I ended up building myself.

That said, I'll never buy another ASUS product in my life again. In 2008, I had an ASUS board that bricked during a BIOS flash. The next year during Quakecon, my friend Renato also attempted to flash his and it bricked during the update. I have an ASUS android tab and it's all sorts of wonky especially after the ICS update. I'm convinced that ASUS is a company that can churn out fantastic hardware but just CANNOT write a driver to save their goddamned lives. I would be weary of attempting any updates on the thing.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Just as a side note, this is not THAT modern, Apple has been doing the EFI for quite some time I wanna say for the past 4-5 years. They dont have the flashy UI tho.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

qpHalcy0n wrote:Despite the fact that I want to flying squirrel punch that guy straight in the throat...
Lmao.
qpHalcy0n wrote:That said, I'll never buy another ASUS product in my life again. In 2008, I had an ASUS board that bricked during a BIOS flash. The next year during Quakecon, my friend Renato also attempted to flash his and it bricked during the update. I have an ASUS android tab and it's all sorts of wonky especially after the ICS update. I'm convinced that ASUS is a company that can churn out fantastic hardware but just CANNOT write a driver to save their goddamned lives. I would be weary of attempting any updates on the thing.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted: