Generating and using code during runtime

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Re: Generating and using code during runtime

Post by Ginto8 »

Rebornxeno wrote:I never realized how spoiled I am working with c++ for windows all the time, all I gotta do is some #include and bam all the windows functions available to me. With lisp I have to make all these foreign function definitions and stuff... Anyone reading this know of a way to go around an os? As in, making a window without having to use the windows api. I even use the windows api just for accessing the screen buffer so I can't even do that to just draw straight to the screen.
There are two ways to make a window without using the windows api: 1) don't use windows (you'll still have to use another API though) or 2) use a library that, in turn, uses the windows api.

It seems to me that you might not want your entire application to be lisp; you may want to use lisp for the AI, but embed it in a C/++ application for actual interaction with the user. I'm not sure how you'd do that, but it seems like a better idea than trying to do window management from within lisp ;)
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Rebornxeno
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Rebornxeno »

Well how does the os make a window then? Or how does it control what gets displayed to the screen. If I can get that low level control to the screen that the os uses for all its graphical stuff, surely I can make a window without needing the os. Google isn't helping in this regard however...
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Ginto8 »

You're digging far too deep here. You want to use the OS, because the OS handles all the nasty device interactions for you. Especially with a high-level language like lisp, the last thing you want to do is override the OS.

A google search for managing windows in lisp only got me an x11 window manager written in lisp (not what you're looking for), and a search for embedding lisp got me this: http://ecls.sourceforge.net/. I don't know if it's really what you want, but it's what I found.

This all seems like a bit of a hassle. Why dynamically modify your own code? Aren't there plenty of learning algorithms out there that don't require the treatment of code as data? Although treating code as data can be useful, it's not how computers are designed to work on the large scale, so you'll just be fighting the platform you're trying to use. Treat data as data, and use that data to control your code. It can effectively do the same thing, but it ends up being much less messy than self-modifying code.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Rebornxeno
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Rebornxeno »

Is that an elaborate way of saying you don't know? You are right though that I most likely wouldn't use it, as the fli and ffi stuff isn't too bad. I almost like it, almost. Though I'd still like to know how they manage to do it, for curiosity's sake.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Ginto8 wrote:Why dynamically modify your own code? Aren't there plenty of learning algorithms out there that don't require the treatment of code as data? Although treating code as data can be useful, it's not how computers are designed to work on the large scale, so you'll just be fighting the platform you're trying to use. Treat data as data, and use that data to control your code. It can effectively do the same thing, but it ends up being much less messy than self-modifying code.
Way to miss the ENTIRE point of studying artificial intelligence bro.. There are boatloads of reasons to treat code as data in his area of interest, and it's NOT a new idea. Again Lisp being case-in-point, John McCarthy released it in 1958 which is probably before your parents were born. Lisp is no the only choice however, Python is also in fairly wide use as an AI language today.

Here is an article on Python's usefullness in regards to AI research:
http://programmer-art.org/articles/rese ... telligence

Surely there are plenty more great resources out there if you're willing to take the time to find them.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Ginto8 »

Well dandymcgee, you're obviously more educated on this one than I am :lol:

The main reason I was suggesting using a more data-driven approach is that C and other statically-compiled languages have issues with modifying their own code, so I was suggesting having the code be less concretely "code". If you used data (for example, a genetic learning algorithm's genome) to control how the code behaves, and then modify that data, making the code act in a different way, you accomplish the same goal (treating "behavior", whether that behavior is code or not, as data) while avoiding the messiness of self-modifying programs written in less-dynamic languages.

But that's assuming that he's trying to find behavior as opposed to having a learning algorithm literally write a program. If that's what he wants, the set of difficulties is entirely different.

Please let me know if I'm full of shit; I'd prefer to learn than remain so. ;)
Rebornxeno
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Rebornxeno »

I thought about using python, but it has a few drawbacks; no macros and having to be fully interpreted. Oh and great news with the foreign function stuff, there is an implementation of lisp, Corman lisp, that's already loaded with all the windows functionality needed. So I don't even have to finish writing the functions myself!

In that link he talks about ELIZA, and going through the examples package in my cl folder is the ELIZA program :P

Yeah c sucks at modifying itself, thats why I'm using lisp for now lol.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Ginto8 wrote: The main reason I was suggesting using a more data-driven approach is that C and other statically-compiled languages have issues with modifying their own code, so I was suggesting having the code be less concretely "code".
Which is exactly why he shouldn't use C. ;)
Rebornxeno wrote:Yeah c sucks at modifying itself, thats why I'm using lisp for now lol.
And he isn't.. problem solved.
Ginto8 wrote: But that's assuming that he's trying to find behavior as opposed to having a learning algorithm literally write a program. If that's what he wants, the set of difficulties is entirely different.
Absolutely. The term "AI" is very broad and all-inclusive. I recommended Lisp and Python because of their extreme flexibility when it comes to language processing.

However, not all AI research has to do with processing language. For instance, one might consider path-finding a subject in the field of AI. In this case, you may not find Lisp to be nearly as helpful.

Again, I recommended Lisp for the theoretical research aspect of it. This means coming up with test inputs and generating their corresponding outputs. I most certainly wouldn't recommend using Lisp to create a 2D platformer. Though the enemy requires some form of AI to determine how best to attack the player, this is an extraordinarily small application of AI and is far from the main focus of the program.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
wtetzner
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: waterbear, GBA game + editor
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Game Boy Advance
Programming Language of Choice: OCaml

Post by wtetzner »

If you're interested in using Common Lisp for AI, you might want to take a look at Peter Norvig's Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common Lisp.

http://norvig.com/paip.html
The novice realizes that the difference between code and data is trivial. The expert realizes that all code is data. And the true master realizes that all data is code.
Soma
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Soma »

I'd recommend picking up The Dragon Book (Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools) or another similar book on compilers. Also, study modern Java Virtual Machines like Oracle's HotSpot. It uses JIT compilation but only for segments of bytecode where the benefit of running native code greatly outweighs the time it takes to JIT compile.
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

Soma wrote:I'd recommend picking up The Dragon Book (Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools) or another similar book on compilers. Also, study modern Java Virtual Machines like Oracle's HotSpot. It uses JIT compilation but only for segments of bytecode where the benefit of running native code greatly outweighs the time it takes to JIT compile.
TBCH, I just finished a class in compilers using the "Dragon Book" and have to say, it's the most 'dense' book I have read in a long time..
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
Soma
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Soma »

short wrote:
Soma wrote:I'd recommend picking up The Dragon Book (Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools) or another similar book on compilers. Also, study modern Java Virtual Machines like Oracle's HotSpot. It uses JIT compilation but only for segments of bytecode where the benefit of running native code greatly outweighs the time it takes to JIT compile.
TBCH, I just finished a class in compilers using the "Dragon Book" and have to say, it's the most 'dense' book I have read in a long time..
I'm not a huge fan of the few compiler books I've come across really. You got any recommendations?