Diablo III Release Date

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Diablo III Release Date

Post by dandymcgee »

*Sigh of relief* Finally. I can't wait to play this game. Perfect excuse to build a new computer.

Anyone else excited by the news? It's been a long time coming and I had been getting very tired of even bothering to check up on it anymore.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Diablo III Release Date

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, N64
Programming Language of Choice: Proper C++

Post by Nokurn »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:Am I excited?

http://thebuzzsaw.tumblr.com/post/19256 ... o-iii-beta

In short, no.
I agree that the mandatory connection to Battle.net is annoying--and even an outrageous showstopper for people with unreliable connections. However, as far as latency goes, I was getting high pings as well. I average about 15 ms latency in all online games I've played (League of Legends, World of Warcraft, etc.). I blame the poor beta connection on the fact that it's beta. Server and client are probably built in debug mode, the server's probably not running on production hardware, and it might even be running on a connection that isn't data center quality. I suspect they'll have that fixed by launch.

My other complaint about the game is the real-money auction house. Who is going to post stuff for in-game money when they could be making small real-life profits? No one.

When I first got into the beta, I was highly disappointed. I was expecting a lot more after 11 years. With that said, I grew to accept it for what it is--a fun game. Even if it wasn't, I'd probably still get it, because Diablo and Diablo II were the games that inspired me to get into gamedev.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Nokurn wrote: I agree that the mandatory connection to Battle.net is annoying--and even an outrageous showstopper for people with unreliable connections.
That's the number 1 complaint I've heard, and I agree entirely. It's absolutely unnecessary to force an online connection. Maybe they don't want people editing their character files and discovering all of their "secrets"? I'm not sure what the benefit of solely-online play is.
Nokurn wrote: Server and client are probably built in debug mode, the server's probably not running on production hardware, and it might even be running on a connection that isn't data center quality. I suspect they'll have that fixed by launch.
I sure as hell hope so.
Nokurn wrote: My other complaint about the game is the real-money auction house. Who is going to post stuff for in-game money when they could be making small real-life profits? No one.
I imagine as time goes on less and less people will be buying stuff for real money and resort to using the gold auction house. The more items found, the lower the demand, and the less items you'll be able to sell for real money.
Nokurn wrote: When I first got into the beta, I was highly disappointed. I was expecting a lot more after 11 years.
I'm hoping most of these disappointments are just a result of "judging a book by its cover". We've still only seen the first part, of the first act, of the first difficulty. Let's not make all-encompassing assumptions just yet. ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

I'm excited about getting fired on this day, or maybe a couple later
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

dandymcgee wrote:Perfect excuse to build a new computer.
Perfect excuse to build a new computer, so you can play a game with outdated graphics?

TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

The game looks fine. It is really fun to play. I don't have lag issues when playing alone, but I'm still offended that a non-MMO requires me to be online all the time. Blizzard offsets it by avoiding a monthly fee, but it's still a technological joke. Can you imagine if Notepad required online access all the time?
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

superLED wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:Perfect excuse to build a new computer.
Perfect excuse to build a new computer, so you can play a game with outdated graphics?
Trust me dude. This game's graphics are cutting-edge compared to the Sempron and 1GB of ram you'll find in my computer.
Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Nokurn »

The graphics were actually one the things that I was not impressed with. In the first few videos, it looked much more detailed. Then I got into the beta and cranked everything up to the max, and cried. It's barely even a step ahead of Torchlight. Like, Torchlight with shaders. I know that I & II were far from cutting edge in their day, but they used techniques that made the games look rich and deep. That option isn't really available in proper 3D, but they could have at least had super-low settings and super-high settings (like Skyrim).
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Nokurn wrote:The graphics were actually one the things that I was not impressed with. In the first few videos, it looked much more detailed. Then I got into the beta and cranked everything up to the max, and cried. It's barely even a step ahead of Torchlight. Like, Torchlight with shaders. I know that I & II were far from cutting edge in their day, but they used techniques that made the games look rich and deep. That option isn't really available in proper 3D, but they could have at least had super-low settings and super-high settings (like Skyrim).
Obviously far from Blizzard having just put decent graphics settings in to begin with, but have you seen this? (See Also: http://darkd3.com/)

k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

I'm so excited about d3 that i wanted to experience it myself. I only watched 1 gameplay trailer, and turned down a beta just so i wouldn't spoil the slashing party and loot fest.
Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Nokurn »

dandymcgee wrote:
Nokurn wrote:The graphics were actually one the things that I was not impressed with. In the first few videos, it looked much more detailed. Then I got into the beta and cranked everything up to the max, and cried. It's barely even a step ahead of Torchlight. Like, Torchlight with shaders. I know that I & II were far from cutting edge in their day, but they used techniques that made the games look rich and deep. That option isn't really available in proper 3D, but they could have at least had super-low settings and super-high settings (like Skyrim).
Obviously far from Blizzard having just put decent graphics settings in to begin with, but have you seen this? (See Also: http://darkd3.com/)

That's pretty impressive. It doesn't fix the low resolution of the textures (some things honestly look like they're just solid color with no texture), but it's a step in the right direction.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Nokurn wrote:That's pretty impressive. It doesn't fix the low resolution of the textures (some things honestly look like they're just solid color with no texture), but it's a step in the right direction.
I definitely agree it's not a complete fix, or even close really. But I think it gives the game a far less cartoony and more serious, gloomy look.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII

Post by Moosader »

For some reason, Trine kind of reminded me of a Blizzard game, artistically. Maybe I'm just insane. Trine 2 is really beautiful, though, it'd be nice to see the same detail in Diablo 3.
VolsporTV
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: The Void
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, Dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C/++ and ByondScript

Post by VolsporTV »

Diablo III is what I have been looking forward to for some time!

I've heard the pushed the release date back to October, last I heard the date was set for May. Is it still May or October?