SOPA derailed

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

SOPA derailed

Post by Ginto8 »

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/sopa-derailed/1897

But this isn't the end. The Internet remains in danger until PROTECT IP is stopped as well.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: SOPA derailed

Post by Benjamin100 »

OK, so what is this whole thing about?
I mean, what is the problem with it?
Isn't it some sort of copyright enforcement, or is it too strict or vague or something?
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Light-Dark »

Benjamin100 wrote:OK, so what is this whole thing about?
Isn't it some sort of copyright enforcement, or is it too strict or vague or something?
its major corperations being dickhats trying to squash the internet buisness and censor anything that endangers them, luckily i guess the U.S government isn't that stupid and is dropping SOPA after the mass protests on the internet and i also think a few people even went down to capital hill including people from TGWTG to tell them right to they're faces that they need to drop this bill.
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

Benjamin100 wrote:OK, so what is this whole thing about?
If it passed as it was, they could take down twitter if one user posted a picture they didnt have copyright to
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Great to hear we're off to a good start in pushing toward voter education before a blind vote. Internet protests can be powerful things.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Benjamin100 »

OK.
Sounds like it was being too strict and even regulating sites when it wasn't much their fault.

I don't know if I'd consider piracy JUST endangering big business though. Not that I back up what the bill said, but I think piracy can hurt more than just major corporations; not everyone in the creative production business is a "major corporation".

Still, It looks like things have already settled down on it for the most part.

I mean, isn't it good to have SOME laws on piracy?
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Benjamin100 wrote:OK.
Sounds like it was being too strict and even regulating sites when it wasn't much their fault.

I don't know if I'd consider piracy JUST endangering big business though. Not that I back up what the bill said, but I think piracy can hurt more than just major corporations; not everyone in the creative production business is a "major corporation".

Yes, but it should be precise in meaning and intention so that someone can't come along and take the vague wording to apply it to something else. The issue seems to be that law makers don't have a deep enough understanding of the internet and its workings to write laws on it. Thus, the wording ends up being too vague, and applicable to many areas which were never the original intention of the bill.

That's my understanding at least.
szdarkhack
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by szdarkhack »

Benjamin100 wrote:OK.

There are 2 problems with this. First off, it does not ultimately prevent piracy since pirate sites can simply move to a new server, i.e. there is no branding associated with them. If you search for pirated movies, for example, you don't care which torrent site you get it from.

In complete opposition, legitimate sites such as youtube, amazon etc. have a lot of branding around their names. If youtube gets blocked, for example, and switches to a new server, a huge amount of traffic will be lost since people know youtube as... well.. youtube!

The second major issue is the extremely loose definitions of copyright infringement and the insane amount of power given to corporations to censor sites without even needing evidence and without giving the blocked sites the opportunity to appeal their case, or, for that matter, get any money back if it does prove to be a false accusation, to compensate for the lost traffic. The thought of blocking youtube for a single video posted by some idiot is crazy enough, but blocking sites without evidence? Come on, this is clearly a censorship bill, NOT an anti-piracy one.

If you do live in the US, please, take some action against this ridiculous legislation. It will kill all internet innovation and provide corporations the ability to censor anything they dislike, whilst not helping IN THE LEAST to combat piracy.
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

Well said szdarkhack

A good overview (but probably a bit biased)
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

i lol'd
szdarkhack
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by szdarkhack »

Here's a very good informative video from TED.

I fear to think of what the internet will become if these bills (or future similar ones) come to pass.