GPU Utilization in C#

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Web browser from scratch
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PSP, PS1 and 3
Programming Language of Choice: C#

GPU Utilization in C#

Post by tappatekie »

Hello everyone, just a quick question. For a website I am making, would you think it will be a good idea to utilize the GPU for a hardware accelerated web server + database server and would you think that using this would make it slower since I am doing it C#.
I have looked at http://www.tidepowerd.com/
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Re: GPU Utilization in C#

Post by Ginto8 »

This is a situation that REALLY depends on your usage patterns. As far as I know, most GPUs are optimized for SIMD: single instruction, multiple data. They're extremely good at doing the same thing to a lot of bits of data. So if you're doing a lot of uniform transformations, go for it; but if you're doing a lot of different operations, your CPU is actually probably going to be faster, or at the very least the amount of work you go into making your code run on the gpu is not going to be worth the (probably tiny) performance gain.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.