A possible glimpse into the future

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: RTS possible Third Person shooter engine.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Wii, Xbox 360, GAME CUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Python 3, C#

Re: A possible glimpse into the future

Post by THe Floating Brain »

dandymcgee wrote:
THe Floating Brain wrote:Intresting concept though it doesent seem practical with the cost and what happens when you get in a car accsedent with your glass car :-/
Please don't double post. :nono:
srry ment to edit previous post :-(

@BlobOfFailure The correct term is EMF (Electro Magnetic Frewquency) it can be harmful if you are withi about 2 feet of your computer (mainly the screen) like 10 hours every day for like 20 years.
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
jtst1
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by jtst1 »

dandymcgee wrote:What happens when you lose power? Fuck, my bathroom mirror is stuck on a freeze frame of the weather and I can't open the damn fridge.
That would fucking suck! "Honey, can you bring me some orange juice?"........"No...the fridge is frozen." But i rather do like the concept of it. As with anything if this is accomplished in our lifetimes they will work out as many problems as they can before releasing it, then adjust things along the way.
When One learns to Love, One must bear the risk of Hatred.
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Part 2.. cool ;)
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

Looks very nice, but imagine the programming required...

Even just looking at the the basic graphics... good-looking UIs and graphics are difficult enough to make already... now on a semitransparent, non-flat screen? Dear god.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Does it look fucking awesome? Yes. Would it be fun as hell to play with? Yes. Do I think it's practical for everyday classroom use. Absolutely not. We have enough technology destroying our everyday lives already. Facebook + mobile phones is worse than the plague. It's difficult to hold a conversation with someone for more than 5 seconds without them checking their phone for messages these days.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

dandymcgee wrote:Does it look fucking awesome? Yes. Would it be fun as hell to play with? Yes. Do I think it's practical for everyday classroom use. Absolutely not. We have enough technology destroying our everyday lives already. Facebook + mobile phones is worse than the plague. It's difficult to hold a conversation with someone for more than 5 seconds without them checking their phone for messages these days.
I dunno about that. I took something different away from the vision of the future displayed in these videos. They seem to actually make it a point that the UI is particularly uncluttered and focused on the task at hand. There is emphasis on connecting people directly as opposed to just reading an endless stream of status updates in Facebook. Will technology continue to distract people? Sure... but there is still a lot of potential here to simplify life, not over complicate it.

I do think that things like digitally assembling your outfit in the mirror before picking out the real thing are pretty silly, but I would love it if my home had zero monitors in it. Throw a movie on the wall! Watch YouTube on the dinner table! Get an instant message in any room! It'd be awesome.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:Throw a movie on the wall!
That sounds awesome, but can easily be done with a projector.
TheBuzzSaw wrote: Watch YouTube on the dinner table! Get an instant message in any room! It'd be awesome.
These simply don't suit my preferred living style. I'm old enough where I appreciate the value of a family dinner, and not having to immediately check IMs the second they arrive. Watching YouTube while eating dinner simply doesn't appeal to me whatsoever.

While I'm not fond of the idea of having massive amounts of ridiculously absurd technologies in my home, I would very much enjoy playing with such devices in the workplace. I can see many of these things increasing productivity quite a bit (with a few "parental" controls). With some work, perhaps it is possible to integrate them a bit more subtly in an educational environment as well.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

dandymcgee wrote:That sounds awesome, but can easily be done with a projector.
I think you're missing the point. It's not about whether we can accomplish technological activity X with current hardware; it's about the flexibility to do these things anyway. I would love it if I could get rid of all monitors/displays from my house and just the house itself for whatever I'm feeling like. I can either go into the basement and expand a movie to the entire wall, or I can go into my study and watch a movie with a mid-sized display. The technology would be more about extending my thought processes at that given moment. I can fire up a whiteboard app anyway, scribble down an idea I just got, and have it stored away in my cloud.
dandymcgee wrote:These simply don't suit my preferred living style. I'm old enough where I appreciate the value of a family dinner, and not having to immediately check IMs the second they arrive. Watching YouTube while eating dinner simply doesn't appeal to me whatsoever.

While I'm not fond of the idea of having massive amounts of ridiculously absurd technologies in my home, I would very much enjoy playing with such devices in the workplace. I can see many of these things increasing productivity quite a bit (with a few "parental" controls). With some work, perhaps it is possible to integrate them a bit more subtly in an educational environment as well.
I still feel you are missing the point. First off, I only said dinner table where a few people might be playing a game. I didn't necessarily mean watching videos while eating food. ;)

You seem to think we'd have this slavery entrapment where IMs and everything would follow you around. As with any communication mechanism, you can set it all to Do Not Disturb. Naturally, I'd use such features around dinner time and private family times. The rest of the time, I'd love it if I could integrate that communication to wherever I am, not just downstairs on the computer.

And darn it all, you got me back into talking about social media again. The technology is not all about people bothering people. Again, it's about being able to capture the moment wherever you are. If I needed to type something, I'd go retrieve my wireless keyboard, but I would have my display on the coffee table in front of my comfy couch or on the ceiling while I lay in bed. The big thing for me is simply eliminating discrete displays.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Light-Dark »

blahhhha i dont want the future like this, i want it big space opera-EE D:, start devotion to FTL communications and travel :D!
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture

Post by GroundUpEngine »

dandymcgee wrote:Does it look fucking awesome? Yes. Would it be fun as hell to play with? Yes. Do I think it's practical for everyday classroom use. Absolutely not. We have enough technology destroying our everyday lives already. Facebook + mobile phones is worse than the plague. It's difficult to hold a conversation with someone for more than 5 seconds without them checking their phone for messages these days.
Ahaha, pretty much my thoughts on the subject! ;)
JamesParkes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Nintendo 64, Xbox 360

Post by JamesParkes »

GroundUpEngine wrote:
Ahaha, pretty much my thoughts on the subject! ;)
true that
James Parkes
Computer Programmer, Graphic Artist

Email: parkesrjames@gmail.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/parkesrjames
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/parkesrjames
Portfolio: http://james.parkesnet.org