Terraria "LAN Party"

Latest news covering the Elysian Shadows project, The Chaos Rift forums, and our affiliate developers and projects. News also appears in the website's new section.

Moderators: News Mods, Elysian Shadows Team

Terraria "LAN Party"

Postby dandymcgee on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:00 pm

This will be the first formal attempt at running a community "LAN Party" of sorts via Hamachi. I've tried to gauge interest, and would like to follow that up by trying an actual event.

Start Time: Thursday, December 1st 2011 06:00 PM EST (11:00 PM GMT) - ???

Please note that the official Hamachi network has changed:

Network ID: 084-558-327
Password: 1

Terraria Server IP: 5.111.196.137
Terraria Password: dreamcast

The above time is based on estimates of when Patch 1.1 will actually be released. The server will go online as soon I notice the update on Steam. If the patch has still not been released by 6PM, we will delay the event until release time.

Please post here with any questions or concerns. See you there!
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Terraria "LAN Party"

Postby jakson15 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:45 pm

new characters?

is "anyone" aloud to join?

Can't wait for 1.1 =D
jakson15
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby short on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:18 pm

It's too bad I don't finish finals until next week :l
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby dandymcgee on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:20 pm

jakson15 wrote:new characters?

is "anyone" allowed to join?

Can't wait for 1.1 =D

Yes, new characters only. Please don't bring anything aside from very simple items with you. Characters you just made and haven't played for more than 1/2 hour or so, have a bunch of gel, wood, stone, etc. are fine too. I just don't want a bunch of guys with star cannons spawning Eye of Cthulu.

Anyone is welcome to join, but I'm hosting the server on my computer so I'm not yet sure what the connection quality will be like for others.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby jakson15 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:27 pm

hmmm 11pm my time...
I guess I could spend my 'sleep time' wisely by playing terraria all night =D

Weird to think.. that I registered 361 days ago and have only made 3 posts.... *fail*
But visit daily interested with every project :D
jakson15
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby dandymcgee on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:03 pm

The game seems laggy when running as a server, and there's no v1.1 dedicated server software yet.

Nonetheless, the server is up. I'm finishing up homework atm but feel free to join.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby short on Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:16 am

do we have to have hamachi? i really hated having that installed on my computer..
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby dandymcgee on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:18 pm

short wrote:do we have to have hamachi? i really hated having that installed on my computer..

Yes, there's no way for you to connect to a computer in part of a larger network otherwise. If only I could just have the IT department forward all port 80 traffic to my computer. :lol:

Out of curiosity, what did you hate about it? Personally, I find having such a simple VPN client quite handy.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby LeonBlade on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:26 pm

Dang, I was playing with my friend and didn't get a chance to play with you guys!
There's no place like ~/
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Postby StoveBacon on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:47 pm

I just checked it out again, and the game has really changed. I'm hoping that maybe we can set another day to play again because I missed yesterday.
SeaNanners wrote:"I shall be Vince Bonesteel and you will be....Rick McLightning!"

Day[9] wrote:"Read a book to children. Mass genocide. Lunch. The life of Dr. Seuss himself."
StoveBacon
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Postby YourNerdyJoe on Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:36 pm

Is the server still up? If it is I'll join but I might have 2 make a new character for it. Me and my friend were on another server today and in a matter of minutes I got a godly flamethrower that someone dropped and many other fine goodies before we both got banned for doing nothing.
See that?.....
Exactly
https://yournerdyjoe.github.io/
YourNerdyJoe
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Postby short on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:43 am

dandymcgee wrote:
short wrote:do we have to have hamachi? i really hated having that installed on my computer..

Yes, there's no way for you to connect to a computer in part of a larger network otherwise. If only I could just have the IT department forward all port 80 traffic to my computer. :lol:

Out of curiosity, what did you hate about it? Personally, I find having such a simple VPN client quite handy.

LOL I suppose your right about the port 80 deal. It's really a pain in the ass for me to go digging through the registry to stop hamachi from starting up when my computer starts, not having the option in the programs interface always made me "feel" like it was untrustworthy software. I'm sure the software's perfect, I just don't like how it makes me "feel." hahaha I'm sure that makes me look crazy, but whatevs.
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby dandymcgee on Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:31 pm

short wrote:LOL I suppose your right about the port 80 deal. It's really a pain in the ass for me to go digging through the registry to stop hamachi from starting up when my computer starts, not having the option in the programs interface always made me "feel" like it was untrustworthy software. I'm sure the software's perfect, I just don't like how it makes me "feel." hahaha I'm sure that makes me look crazy, but whatevs.

I think that has to do with the nature of the software. Often the manner in which it's used causes other software to rely on the presence of Hamachi. Since it's integrates a bit more closely with the OS, running as a service and handling it's own virtual network adapter, it is meant to be on or off rather than running or not running.

The rest of you guys should join the ElysianShadows or TheChaosRift hamachi network. The password to both is 1. Then hit me up via Hamachi chat sometime and we can play. It turns out it didn't work too well to set an arbitrary time, as nobody was really available right then.

Edit: I just realized in order to join the network you must use the Network ID not the network name. Updated the first post.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Return to Community News