Do you guys still use the old deprecated way of using OpenGL

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Do you guys still use the old deprecated way of using OpenGL

Post by davidthefat »

Do you guys still use the old deprecated way of using OpenGL?

Some modern OpenGL tutorials:
http://duriansoftware.com/joe/An-intro- ... tents.html
http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/
szdarkhack
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Re: Do you guys still use the old deprecated way of using Op

Post by szdarkhack »

Personally, i tend to use the lowest version that can provide the features that i need. So in very simple projects, yes, i do. When using opengl 2.0+ though i usually avoid the deprecated way, unless i just need to quickly test something.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Nope. Or at least not now that OpenGL ES doesn't support half of that shit.
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

davidthefat wrote:Do you guys still use the old deprecated way of using OpenGL?

I haven't learned OpenGL yet, but that second link you have posted looks really nice, thanks :)
Image ImageImage Image
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL

Post by LeonBlade »

By depreciated do you mean using GLUT? If so, yes I do use GLUT. ;)
There's no place like ~/
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

LeonBlade wrote:

By depreciated do you mean using GLUT? If so, yes I do use GLUT. ;)
By depreciated, I'm quite sure he means using the fixed function pipeline instead of the programmable pipeline.
Image ImageImage Image
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

I graduate next term, so before I go and do that, I decided to take graphics programming this term, it's the first term where the professor teaches the programmable pipeline, it seems like its new to him as well. It seems much more involved then the fixed function pipeline, finally make me dive in and really understand what's going on during each stage. I for one think the new pipeline will force me to understand the graphics pipeline at a much deeper level.
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

short wrote:I graduate next term, so before I go and do that, I decided to take graphics programming this term, it's the first term where the professor teaches the programmable pipeline, it seems like its new to him as well. It seems much more involved then the fixed function pipeline, finally make me dive in and really understand what's going on during each stage. I for one think the new pipeline will force me to understand the graphics pipeline at a much deeper level.
WOW.

Consider yourself lucky. Our university had one CS class on graphics, taught by the biggest piece of shit professor I've ever had in my life. Everything was immediate-mode rendering and has been deprecated for the last 5 years... we never textured a single polygon.

I made all fucking As last semester in my engineering courses and barely got out of this class with D. A fucking D in something I've been doing since I was a kid... I've never wanted to murder a professor like that in my life... </rant>
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Bit of both, for compatibility reasons.. ;)
CC Ricers
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by CC Ricers »

I would still use it for debugging purposes. Drawing shapes with lines and such. If you're good with batching you can reduce the performance hit, and as a debug tool, it's not like it will show up in the final product anyways.

I took an OpenGL programming course as well, as an art class. It wasn't that bad, and it must take guts to teach us art students how to use the Linux shell and build with it while assuming that we know nothing more than HTML. Next year I saw the new students using Dev-C++ :roll:

Now my CS 107 teacher, he didn't know what he was doing. We used HTML and Javascript which isn't the bad part because it's an easy way to prototype stuff. But he took points off for not capitalizing tags and not commenting enough.
xx6heartless6xx
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by xx6heartless6xx »

GyroVorbis wrote:
short wrote:I graduate next term, so before I go and do that, I decided to take graphics programming this term, it's the first term where the professor teaches the programmable pipeline, it seems like its new to him as well. It seems much more involved then the fixed function pipeline, finally make me dive in and really understand what's going on during each stage. I for one think the new pipeline will force me to understand the graphics pipeline at a much deeper level.
WOW.

Consider yourself lucky. Our university had one CS class on graphics, taught by the biggest piece of shit professor I've ever had in my life. Everything was immediate-mode rendering and has been deprecated for the last 5 years... we never textured a single polygon.

I made all fucking As last semester in my engineering courses and barely got out of this class with D. A fucking D in something I've been doing since I was a kid... I've never wanted to murder a professor like that in my life... </rant>
Damn a D?? How did the other people in the class do?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

xx6heartless6xx wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
WOW.

Considerably better. This teacher had a reputation of hating engineering students...

There were a few times when I had pulled all nighters working on our lunar rover project for senior design and couldn't get the assignments done on time. The chair of engineering asked (or told his ass) to accept my assignments late twice. He graded we waaay harder and hated me ever since then. I once lost two letter grades for not using his header templates in my program comments...
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot

Post by davidthefat »

I do not want to start a new thread about it, but anyone upgraded to the new C++ standard? (C++11/C++0X). It is supposedly implemented in most mainstream compilers by now, but GCC requires the -std=c++0x tag
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360

Post by Light-Dark »

GyroVorbis wrote:
xx6heartless6xx wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
WOW.

Considerably better. This teacher had a reputation of hating engineering students...

There were a few times when I had pulled all nighters working on our lunar rover project for senior design and couldn't get the assignments done on time. The chair of engineering asked (or told his ass) to accept my assignments late twice. He graded we waaay harder and hated me ever since then. I once lost two letter grades for not using his header templates in my program comments...
sounds like the professor has some serious problems
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

My professor assigned the seventh edition of the opengl redbook as required reading for the class.

I looked and it still used the fixed function pipeline (so I didn't bother), and even in class he mentioned once that the book just isn't that good.

Amazon let's you pre-order the eight edition, but I found something I am liking much more.

I found an online book, that seems to be VERY good. It's teaching me how to program opengl 3.3 and above.

Here's the link:

Take a look, I'm learning immensely from it. There's a lot different, especially with vertex and fragment shaders. It's like a whole new world :D
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson