I want help.

This is a section with real-life examples of posts you shouldn't make.
Rebornxeno
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Re: I want help.

Post by Rebornxeno »

Figures. Complete trolls.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

Someone ban this arrogant bastard?

You call us trolls for pointing out he clearly isn't the level he thinks/claims to currently be and is only asking for "help" because he wants someone else to program it for him.

I've seen pig shit move faster than you think.
BugInTheSYS
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Vintage Roads
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Delphi

Post by BugInTheSYS »

small b2t here. The only thing that a sort of general question must not expect, is a detailed answer. It should answer the question asked but not answer the 20 other questions that are imaginatedly appended to this question. With what you told us, OP, we can tell you to look at SFML, SDL or other if you feel as advanced as you describe, OpenGL. There is no need to proving one's capabilities upon joining a forum, but expect that we apply our scales to the adjective "advanced" ore "more than basic."
If you feel like clarifying your situation, shoot ;)
We're not a "joiner"- or beginner-unfriendly forum (although it might appear to you this way now), but if you feel misunderstood, read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html (it will make you feel comfortable whenever asking to know how to.)
Last edited by BugInTheSYS on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Someday, everything will go to /dev/null. - Bug's prophecy 13:37
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Rebornxeno wrote:Figures. Complete trolls.
Quit being a hypocritically ignorant dumbass. Either make a useful contribution to these forums, or don't post. If you can't settle on one or the other we'll be happy to make the decision for you.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

Rebornxeno wrote:Apparently you have your heads far up your asses. Let me clarify things for you.

The OP has laid out a simple sentence for us to read. In this sentence, he explains that he possesses a "more than basic" understanding of c++, and finishes by admitting that he could not find another person whom holds a similar interest in creating a 2d tile-based plat-former game, and would like to find someone whom holds such similar interest that will help him in his effort to create such a game. He even links to a video showing a "similar" style as to what he wishes to accomplish.
LOL back the fuck up son. Before you get all righteous on people's asses: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/47063/

Reading the OP it's clear they either put no thought/time/effort into getting help. Well except copy/pasting to different forums.
What I've found is that typically a degree of hard work or thoroughness is expected at some stage of a help request.
Typically this is because not enough information was posted and we're not sure what the OP is actually asking for, or it comes across like the OP is providing a one line request with no personal investment while expecting us to hold their hand through something.
Holy fucking bananas batman!
I have yet to understand how creating the same post in more than one forum makes any difference as to the meaning and seriousness of the OP's post.
Maybe we have a difference of opinion here, but the OP not only laid out his sentence in simple fashion, he made it straight to the point. Thus, reading the OP's post, it is clearly evident that enough thought was put in to ensure that anyone who reads it (anyone who can think intelligibly) would understand the points mentioned in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th lines of this post.
As short had said, back the fuck up. The OP said in his subject line "I want help" and gave a one liner about how he couldn't find anyone to help him to make a platformer shown in a youtube video, and that he has basic C++ experience. Nothing about that tells us what exactly he wants help with - which is what I want to find out. I'd be more than happy to help him if he re-framed his request, but it comes across like he spam posted several forums rather than elaborating on his request. If he would elaborate, I'd be more than happy to help, but he hasn't.

So no, his request was not simple and I don't understand what exactly he's asking for.
Rebornxeno wrote:anyone who reads it (anyone who can think intelligibly) would understand the points mentioned in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th lines of this post.
Elaborating on this, you're a fucking twat for insulting the intelligence of everyone here over not understanding his request, and what are you smoking: there is no 3rd, 4th, and 5th line of his post. I'm done with you.

To the OP, if you would like to elaborate I would be more than happy to help you, but I will need more details.
xiphirx
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: ******** (Unkown for the time being)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by xiphirx »

Rebornxeno made my day today.

OP:
Find a newb friendly graphics API and start messing around with it. SDL, SFML, and Allegro are popular choices.
StarCraft II Zerg Strategy, open to all levels of players!

Looking for paid work :< Contact me if you are interested in creating a website, need a web design, or anything else you think I'm capable of :)
Aleios
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Aleios Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Aleios »

Ok, fuckwit, GRAB A FUCKING DICTIONARY before you even attempt to read this.
but i cant find any one willing to help me make a 2d tile game
Where in this does it SPECIFY that he wants someone on his team? its simply asks for HELP. Help can be anything thing from what API to use, or it could mean that he wants someone on his team. its NOT that i interpreted it wrong. Its that the OP gave as an abstract sentence of which our minds think up more than one possibility of what he is asking for. We aren't trying to be a bunch of trolls, we simply have a ton of options of what he is asking for. Now why dont you grab your head and pull it out of YOUR ass, you arrogant little fuck. Don't question the intelligence of someone that you don't know.

You seemed to want us to be trolls so much, i thought i would throw some shit at you. Happy now?
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

I don't really want to engage in the former conversation except for that, if you're going to come onto the forums and tell everyone here, particularly many of them being highly respected for either their programming skills or even what they do to help others who are in need then you're being a dumb ass. It's none of your business whether we will or won't help him since you just got here and made a pretty ignorant remark about us not helping him. The way it works around here is that if we see that someone deserves "help" and what I mean by deserves is whether or not they're:
  1. Asking to code for them
  2. Just getting an opinion
  3. Have ALREADY TRIED and then after, decided that they don't like the results and kindly request help.

However, as someone stated earlier, he asked for help, but didn't specify what kind, so here's the help I'm willing to produce:
As for your request
C++noobster Learn about either C# and XNA as shown in the video. Or you need to learn a graphics and I/O (input/output) library for c++ like SDL or Allegro, SDL and (I think) Allegro both serve as graphics and I/o however if you want more power with your graphics you'll need to use OpenGL with some i/o such as SDL, Glut or many others. I suggest that you go with SDL or switch to C# and XNA, as they are probably the easiest to start with, I don't know a lot about Allergro though.
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

... Have you read the OP? He makes no specifications at all, aside from "2D Tile Game". It sounded like he wanted someone to walk him through the process, which, as people on the internet who probably live nowhere near him, is not going to work. So, we pointed him toward tutorials.

When someone asks for someone to help them make a game, without having done anything toward the game that they already have to show off, they are, 99% of the time, someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Thirdly, his username is C++noobster, so not only IS he a newbie, he ACKNOWLEDGES it. If he then had a few hundred posts, you could presume he's had some experience, but if it's his first post after choosing that username, he probably hasn't improved much.

All in all, it sounds like you were just trying to start a flame war against yourself. Good job.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

This topic has been completely derailed. I'm parking my dump truck in front of the runaway train. :lock:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted: