I want help.

This is a section with real-life examples of posts you shouldn't make.
C++noobster
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

I want help.

Post by C++noobster »

I have a more than basic understanding of C++ 2010 but i cant find any one willing to help me make a 2d tile game (simaler to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OqRoxJu3d4)
ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Re: I want help.

Post by ibly31 »

Three things, man.

1: That 2D Tiled game you linked to is absolutely not a simple game that I would recommend to try to program. I've been programming for a while and its still iffy if I would attempt that.

2: You can't have a "more than a basic understanding" if you don't realize that C++ is C++, the program you are using is most likely "Visual C++ 2010".

3: If you want to learn to program or get better at it in any way, you need to do things by yourself. Learning isn't easy, and making something like that would end up frustrating you or even making you not want to program ever again.

Not trying to be mean, but if you want to get someone to make you a game, this is absolutely not the place to be.
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

Get a book and learn to program?
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

LazyFoo is more than willing:
http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

And once you're done with him, I recommend moving onto some SDL 1.3, cuz it's newer and better; or maybe some SFML, if you aren't feeling the c-style-ness of SDL.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

Ginto8 wrote:And once you're done with him, I recommend moving onto some SDL 1.3, cuz it's newer and better; or maybe some SFML, if you aren't feeling the c-style-ness of SDL.
Is "cuz it's newer and better" the best you can do? :roll:
Rebornxeno
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Rebornxeno »

No offense but you guys are kinda being jerks to this guy. Take his word for what he says and give him some respect. He says he has more than a basic understanding of c++ and
would like to find someone to code a game with. If you can't help him with what hes asking, maybe you should refrain from posting and knocking him down.
BugInTheSYS
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Vintage Roads
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Delphi

Post by BugInTheSYS »

Rebornxeno wrote:No offense but you guys are kinda being jerks to this guy. Take his word for what he says and give him some respect. He says he has more than a basic understanding of c++ and
would like to find someone to code a game with. If you can't help him with what hes asking, maybe you should refrain from posting and knocking him down.
Publicly +1'd this.
Someday, everything will go to /dev/null. - Bug's prophecy 13:37
Aleios
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Aleios Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Aleios »

Rebornxeno wrote:No offense but you guys are kinda being jerks to this guy. Take his word for what he says and give him some respect. He says he has more than a basic understanding of c++ and
Ok, but how many people say that they have a more than basic understanding of C++? let alone the fact he said "C++ 2010". I'm not trying to be a dickhead here, but i would sure as hell like to know what his idea of a more than basic understanding is before i start pointing him to crap he may have difficulty with. Also, i noticed, in that vid, the guy is using XNA. I would suggest learning that, but yet again, all he said was "I have a more than basic understanding of C++ 2010". Which means fuck all to me.

More info for more info.
Rebornxeno
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Rebornxeno »

God help us all! Can a mod remove these stupid ass posts? I want to hold back my anger at your stupidity sir but it is very hard indeed! Responses such as yours is the reason I made the first post in this thread!!! This dude is asking for someone to code with, if you aren't gonna help him stfu and gtfo!!!
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

Rebornxeno wrote:God help us all! Can a mod remove these stupid ass posts? I want to hold back my anger at your stupidity sir but it is very hard indeed! Responses such as yours is the reason I made the first post in this thread!!! This dude is asking for someone to code with, if you aren't gonna help him stfu and gtfo!!!
LOL back the fuck up son. Before you get all righteous on people's asses: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/47063/

Reading the OP it's clear they either put no thought/time/effort into getting help. Well except copy/pasting to different forums.
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

Part of it is the attitude of these forums. What I've found is that typically a degree of hard work or thoroughness is expected at some stage of a help request. This could be thoroughness on the part of the explanation, making it apparent that the poster has thoroughly looked tried to solve a problem themselves, or however else. The point is that they have somewhat invested themselves in a request which shows their commitment.

I agree that sometimes we step over a line, which can be difficult for new users because they might think we're being harsh for the sake of being harsh (which is usually only the case with semi-religious language/API topics). Typically this is because not enough information was posted and we're not sure what the OP is actually asking for, or it comes across like the OP is providing a one line request with no personal investment while expecting us to hold their hand through something.

When I respond to something I typically try to provide a good response. I will typically invest myself in a solution and try to get to the heart of what the OP is asking. Many times, I'll respond because the topic interests me and I feel like I can both contribute to what they're looking for, as well as further the conversation which is good for me as well. The catch is, if I'm not given enough context on the problem then there's really very little I can contribute, plus there's very little that arouses my interest since it then seems like an empty request (but mention a one or two paragraph topic on Component Systems, with code samples, and I'll be there like a fucking T-Rex at a petting zoo ready to devour whatever you point to because the topic interests me).

So basically, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for more clarification when given a one-liner asking for what could be a 100+ hour investment in a coding project. Could requests for clarity have been a bit more tactful (ie. not lambasting the poster, who's probably been exposed to many years of date-versioned Microsoft products, over the fact that C++ doesn't have 2010 version), but we need to know more about the OP and his situation.
Rebornxeno
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Rebornxeno »

Apparently you have your heads far up your asses. Let me clarify things for you.

The OP has laid out a simple sentence for us to read. In this sentence, he explains that he possesses a "more than basic" understanding of c++, and finishes by admitting that he could not find another person whom holds a similar interest in creating a 2d tile-based plat-former game, and would like to find someone whom holds such similar interest that will help him in his effort to create such a game. He even links to a video showing a "similar" style as to what he wishes to accomplish.
LOL back the fuck up son. Before you get all righteous on people's asses: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/47063/

Reading the OP it's clear they either put no thought/time/effort into getting help. Well except copy/pasting to different forums.
What I've found is that typically a degree of hard work or thoroughness is expected at some stage of a help request.
Typically this is because not enough information was posted and we're not sure what the OP is actually asking for, or it comes across like the OP is providing a one line request with no personal investment while expecting us to hold their hand through something.
Holy fucking bananas batman!
I have yet to understand how creating the same post in more than one forum makes any difference as to the meaning and seriousness of the OP's post.
Maybe we have a difference of opinion here, but the OP not only laid out his sentence in simple fashion, he made it straight to the point. Thus, reading the OP's post, it is clearly evident that enough thought was put in to ensure that anyone who reads it (anyone who can think intelligibly) would understand the points mentioned in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th lines of this post.
Aleios wrote:
Ok, but how many people say that they have a more than basic understanding of C++? let alone the fact he said "C++ 2010". I'm not trying to be a dickhead here, but i would sure as hell like to know what his idea of a more than basic understanding is before i start pointing him to crap he may have difficulty with. Also, i noticed, in that vid, the guy is using XNA. I would suggest learning that, but yet again, all he said was "I have a more than basic understanding of C++ 2010". Which means fuck all to me.

More info for more info.
I doubt your ability to understand simple concepts and the use of natural language. It is pretty obvious that you do not grasp what is going on. The OP is not asking for you to point him in any direction, please re-read the OP's post, or better yet leave the thread.
The catch is, if I'm not given enough context on the problem then there's really very little I can contribute, plus there's very little that arouses my interest since it then seems like an empty request (but mention a one or two paragraph topic on Component Systems, with code samples, and I'll be there like a fucking T-Rex at a petting zoo ready to devour whatever you point to because the topic interests me).
There is no correlation between "thoroughness" or wholeheartedness and length of a post. Many of the most complicated things in the universe are also the most simplest.
So basically, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for more clarification when given a one-liner asking for what could be a 100+ hour investment in a coding project. Could requests for clarity have been a bit more tactful (ie. not lambasting the poster, who's probably been exposed to many years of date-versioned Microsoft products, over the fact that C++ doesn't have 2010 version), but we need to know more about the OP and his situation.
You are right, there is no problem asking for more clarification. However, I am sure if you read over everything you will see that that is not the case here. What did happen, however, is that the OP was picked apart and treated horribly. You are also guilty of this, seeing as how you belittled the OP with your thoughts. Here is what the replies to the OP are.
That 2D Tiled game you linked to is absolutely not a simple game that I would recommend to try to program.
You can't have a "more than a basic understanding" if you don't realize that C++ is C++
If you want to learn to program or get better at it in any way, you need to do things by yourself.
Get a book and learn to program?
it comes across like the OP is providing a one line request with no personal investment while expecting us to hold their hand through something.
Your attacks on this guy are disgusting and pitiful.
Please, STFU and GTFO.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

+
Rebornxeno wrote:Apparently you have your heads far up your asses. Let me clarify things for you.

The OP has laid out a simple sentence for us to read. In this sentence, he explains that he possesses a "more than basic" understanding of c++, and finishes by admitting that he could not find another person whom holds a similar interest in creating a 2d tile-based plat-former game, and would like to find someone whom holds such similar interest that will help him in his effort to create such a game. He even links to a video showing a "similar" style as to what he wishes to accomplish.
Well I'd love to help him, but I don't know C++ 2010. I know C++ but that's no help.
sk1v3r
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by sk1v3r »

@Rebornxeno
I don't want to continue the flaming here, but you are talking about how he should be helped, but posting massive attacks at the other members of the forum, this isn't helping his situation.
In my experience on other forums, a few lines usually means that they haven't tried too hard at it themselves, and so of course others are going to be skeptical about his ability.
@C++noobster
I would recommend finding a good and easy graphics library, such as SDL, Allegro, or SFML, and trying your hand at smaller projects. Once you have got the basics of one of these, then you should start investing in the task of something similar to the video. Read tutorials, read a book, until you have the confidence in yourself to join up with someone and make something this big. If you stick at it, I'm sure you'll do great :)