javascript & iPhone

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Tom_leonardsson
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Map editor
Favorite Gaming Platforms: nes,nds,snes,DOS,GBA,the Nd,android
Programming Language of Choice: c/++,javascript,Java

javascript & iPhone

Post by Tom_leonardsson »

Is it worth lerning for making games an apps for the iPhone & android?
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: javascript & iPhone

Post by JaxDragon »

I may not know much about iphone/android development, but I do know that a main use of javascript is for web design. For Iphone you should learn objective-c/++ and for android you should learn java. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

iPhone is objective-C and Android is Java. Both are actually valid languages to learn, because they expose you to numerous different and useful OOP sub-paradigms. Also, it's a good way to get some easy money.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Benjamin100 »

Do you need to pay to use Java for commercial purposes? I sort of thought you needed to.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Benjamin100 wrote:Do you need to pay to use Java for commercial purposes? I sort of thought you needed to.
Not as far I'm aware.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
BugInTheSYS
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Vintage Roads
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Delphi

Post by BugInTheSYS »

dandymcgee wrote:
Benjamin100 wrote:Do you need to pay to use Java for commercial purposes? I sort of thought you needed to.
Not as far I'm aware.
My school chose to let us learn VB and not Java. I asked them once, and my teacher said you had to pay for Java. But now as far as my research goes, I'm not even sure lol :/
Someday, everything will go to /dev/null. - Bug's prophecy 13:37
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

BugInTheSYS wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:
Not as far I'm aware.
My school chose to let us learn VB and not Java. I asked them once, and my teacher said you had to pay for Java. But now as far as my research goes, I'm not even sure lol :/
That's ridiculous, you don't need to pay for Java. Regular Java is open-source, plain and simple. Java ME, EE, FX etc; is a whole different scenario since Sun Microsystems never opened those up, which is why Google made their own Java virtual machine for Android called Dalvik, and that's why we have the big debacle with Oracle (who bought Sun) suing Google over copyright/patent infringements.

With what I just said though, I can see why there's ambiguity about it.
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

Tom_leonardsson wrote:Is it worth lerning for making games an apps for the iPhone & android?
I would say most definitely yes, but I'm biased because that's an area I'm interested in. There's a lot of demand for iOS and Android developers. I see a lot of ads where I live looking for application/game developers for both platforms (not that this should be your main reason for going for it, but I mention it because it's a definite perk).

I can promise as well that developing for Android in Java using Eclipse will be a good learning experience that might change how you think about programming apps (if you can manage to get the thing set up). It's really cool how Android generates static generated Java objects from XML.