Signal/Slot Library Suggestion?

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Re: Signal/Slot Library Suggestion?

Post by Ginto8 »

XianForce wrote:QT SIGNAL and QT SLOT... That's just a signal/slot implementation, isn't it...?
That's correct. Qt has a signal/slot implementation that it gets to work via a separate pre-processor and some fancy C preprocessor macros. Qt is a good library, but I'm curious the effect of using Qt's signals/slots on the overall size and performance of a program.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Ginto8 wrote:
XianForce wrote:QT SIGNAL and QT SLOT... That's just a signal/slot implementation, isn't it...?
That's correct. Qt has a signal/slot implementation that it gets to work via a separate pre-processor and some fancy C preprocessor macros. Qt is a good library, but I'm curious the effect of using Qt's signals/slots on the overall size and performance of a program.
Yeah, it just confuses me because Falco said:
But we aren't doing any signal/slots bullshit to implement this.

Then referenced QT SIGNAL and QT SLOT... :o
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I was drawing an analogy to the fact that we implemented the exact same functionality with a simple abstract base class and some virtual methods...
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Ginto8 wrote:
Probably pretty fucking hefty. It's more than worth it, when every class within a GUI application uses the paradigm, but for a single subsystem, as has been proposed here, it would be a ridiculous amount of overhead (oh, and now you get to use an additional layer of preprocessing for one class).
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

GyroVorbis wrote:I was drawing an analogy to the fact that we implemented the exact same functionality with a simple abstract base class and some virtual methods...
Okay haha. I thought for a second you were saying that you used QT SIGNAL and QT SLOT to call those methods, and I was a little confused for a second. Thanks for the clarification :).