Whatever Happened To Arcade Machines?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Whatever Happened To Arcade Machines?

Post by davidthefat »

I still think arcade machines are a great idea. Imagine a modern arcade machine with the specs of a mainstream computer. I would assume it would be significantly faster because the machine's sole job would be to execute the game. The modern computer has the kernal running besides the user space in memory, and the cpu runs then step by step. Imagine, the arcade machine would not need a kernal; it is not running any operating systems. The drivers won't be needed, it just runs straight from the code.

Now, that is game consoles are for... But forget the security measures and the operating system.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Whatever Happened To Arcade Machines?

Post by hurstshifter »

Arcades saw a huge decline in business when the modern console system was released. Less kids want to go out (and less parents want to take them) when they can simply spend a little extra money and have the same games 24/7 in their own home. Personally, I love arcades. There is one in my town and I visit it often if only to play pinball and fighting games (I much prefer and arcade joystick to a d-pad when it comes to fighters).
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Web
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: somewhat tinkering on my own game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Snes, Sega saturn, Nes, Sega cd, Sega dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Sdl

Post by Web »

I still see them around from time to time but nothing like when i was a kid, ah the good old days when i could just walk to a place and put a quarter in to play a game, i was and still am a pinball fanatic.... sadly they are few and far between anymore.
Pinky are you pondering what im pondering?
I think so Brain but where is the ‘any’ key?”
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

i thought the same thing, so im making my own (virtual one)
http://www.mjt.net.au/#!/arcade
Last edited by k1net1k on Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

my local fish n chip shop has always had one, and the deli i walked past on the way to school years ago always had the latest mortal kombat :)
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Yeah, the at home convenience was more than enough to justify the price of the consoles and destroy the arcade market. I personally want to build my own MAME arcade cabinet when I have the space for it, I think that would be complete win to have in a game room. :D
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Trask wrote:Yeah, the at home convenience was more than enough to justify the price of the consoles and destroy the arcade market. I personally want to build my own MAME arcade cabinet when I have the space for it, I think that would be complete win to have in a game room. :D
Heh, one of my dad's friends buys and refurbishes old pinball machines, and he made a MAME cabinet... and it is beast...
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by davidthefat »

Can't wait till I go to college, I will be double majoring in CS and EE. Hopefully, I will gain enough knowledge for me to create an arcade machine from scratch...
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

davidthefat wrote:Can't wait till I go to college, I will be double majoring in CS and EE. Hopefully, I will gain enough knowledge for me to create an arcade machine from scratch...
Well when I say make a MAME arcade cabinet, I mean, create the cabinet or get one through other means, throw in a screen and a PC, and something like the XArcade controller(http://www.xgaming.com/). I'm not hardcore enough to make something like that from scratch, though they make it so you can customize these things.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Trask wrote:
davidthefat wrote:Can't wait till I go to college, I will be double majoring in CS and EE. Hopefully, I will gain enough knowledge for me to create an arcade machine from scratch...
Well when I say make a MAME arcade cabinet, I mean, create the cabinet or get one through other means, throw in a screen and a PC, and something like the XArcade controller(http://www.xgaming.com/). I'm not hardcore enough to make something like that from scratch, though they make it so you can customize these things.
Yeah that's what my dad's friend did