A possible glimpse into the future

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

BlobOfFailure
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: A possible glimpse into the future

Post by BlobOfFailure »

Ginto8 wrote:You're afraid of the amount of radiation that that many electronic components creates? You should be scared to go outside, because I'd bet my life you get more harmful radiation from the sun than from electronics. ;)
I don't have that much of an argument to back up what I said, I agree it's a bit non-sensical, but from what I do understand about radiation (in high doses it causes radiation poisioning (obviously), and that having several X-Rays in under a month is enough of a dosage to lead to radiation poisioning) living in a giant house where basicly everything which surronds you is a giant iPad you would be exposed to a higher dose of radiation from day to day than most humans are used to, it may not lead to radiation poisioning but might not be healthy for people.

P.S - I don't really support what I said yesterday anymore, I just felt like saving my ego. :| So ya, I don't support what I said anymore... it was just an original thought which has passed after reading the wikipedia article on Radiation Poisioning.
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

You know, that stuff looks very cool, sleak, stylish, etc; but there's one thing I can't get over. Why do I need to be plugged in all the time? One thing I've become aware of is that I'm already finding myself too plugged in. I had a week off from school recently and went on a trip with my family. I intentionally turned my phone off for the week and only checked e-mail a few times and it was like everything in my head was suddenly clearer than it had been in a long time. It gave me a chance to stop queuing my brain to check the next thing coming my way.

I don't need to be plugged in when I'm peeing... hell, many of my best ideas come to me in the washroom when I've stepped away from everything else and have a chance to think with minimal distraction.

Give me a setup like that at my desk at home and a sleak/reduced version without popups and reminders for my entertainment setup. I want to engage with what I'm doing in the moment dammit ;)
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

I doubt this will ever happen.

I'm not saying we won't be able to, but most people have trouble sending a email. No way people would get used to this :lol:

And I like the mac look :evil:

EDIT:
EccentricDuck wrote: I don't need to be plugged in when I'm peeing... hell, many of my best ideas come to me in the washroom when I've stepped away from everything else and have a chance to think with minimal distraction.
^I rest my case :lol:
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by GroundUpEngine »

N64vSNES wrote: EDIT:
EccentricDuck wrote: I don't need to be plugged in when I'm peeing... hell, many of my best ideas come to me in the washroom when I've stepped away from everything else and have a chance to think with minimal distraction.
^I rest my case :lol:
+1... haha
ParticleGames
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: A map editor for a platformer I plan to develop
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Wii, Gamecube

Post by ParticleGames »

This is a pretty cool concept, but I would hate to have my phone shatter all over my tile when I drop it :x
Check out my iPhone app here: http://twilighthop.com
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

A whole day of glass, huh... You know, I'm OK with that. That means we could ban baseball!
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:A whole day of glass, huh... You know, I'm OK with that. That means we could ban baseball!
and your little snot nosed kids. ah a world without kids. i changed my mind, I like this future.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

BuzzSaw doesn't have kids does he? Oh well.

I find this kind of future simply irritating. OOH So now I can get on facebook on my mirror... instead of just picking up my phone/ipod.... Where's the virtual reality, the robotic implants, the flying cars. You know cool things that I can't already do.
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

I have a little girl.
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:I have a little girl.

Aww.... congratulations BuzzSaw. 8-)

Yeah.... but if this is the, "supposed" future we're eventually leading to I don't think it'd be that great of an envirement for kids. If so then they damned well better start working on much sturdier shatter-proof glass :lol: Wouldn't want little Billy shooting holes in your house with his baseball. And, how expensive would it be to replace that kind of electronical crap in your house? I can only imagine it'd cost a fortune just to get one damned window replaced considered that everything in the house is pretty made up of hundreds of tablets and smartpads and whatnot. Wouldn't like this sort of future all to much.
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

Marx Chaotix wrote: Yeah.... but if this is the, "supposed" future we're eventually leading to I don't think it'd be that great of an envirement for kids. If so then they damned well better start working on much sturdier shatter-proof glass :lol: Wouldn't want little Billy shooting holes in your house with his baseball. And, how expensive would it be to replace that kind of electronical crap in your house? I can only imagine it'd cost a fortune just to get one damned window replaced considered that everything in the house is pretty made up of hundreds of tablets and smartpads and whatnot. Wouldn't like this sort of future all to much.
You'd be surprised. If society were literally integrated top to bottom with that technology, prices would not be all bad. I mean yes, it would certainly be more expensive than plain old glass, but if they were being manufactured en mass for every house on the planet, prices would come way down.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:I have a little girl.
Ope my bad. Think I knew that too, just forgot :P
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: RTS possible Third Person shooter engine.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Wii, Xbox 360, GAME CUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Python 3, C#

Post by THe Floating Brain »

dandymcgee wrote: Needs more color, I don't want the whole world looking like a big ass MacBook Pro. ;)
XD
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: RTS possible Third Person shooter engine.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Wii, Xbox 360, GAME CUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Python 3, C#

Post by THe Floating Brain »

Intresting concept though it doesent seem practical with the cost and what happens when you get in a car accsedent with your glass car :-/
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

THe Floating Brain wrote:Intresting concept though it doesent seem practical with the cost and what happens when you get in a car accsedent with your glass car :-/
Please don't double post. :nono:
TheBuzzSaw wrote: You'd be surprised. If society were literally integrated top to bottom with that technology, prices would not be all bad. I mean yes, it would certainly be more expensive than plain old glass, but if they were being manufactured en mass for every house on the planet, prices would come way down.
Very true.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted: