What is the best cable modem

This is a section with real-life examples of posts you shouldn't make.
zahannum

What is the best cable modem

Post by zahannum »

What is the best cable modem to use with the PS3 to go online? My computer is in a different room than my PS3 and I want to go online. Can you recommend a good and inexpensive cable modem?
codekidd
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, SNES, NDS, Playstation
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: What is the best cable modem

Post by codekidd »

There honestly isn't a "best" Just make sure you buy one that is DOCSIS 3.0 capable, to get top speeds. The question you need to ask yourself is how do you plan on implementing your peripheral devices through the different rooms.

For example, I have my modem hooked up with a 5 port wireless router in my office. I built my own CAT5 cables of various lengths and have them hooked into each port and ran them through the attic, down the walls into RJ45 wall plates throughout the house. So I have 5 points around the house to plug in to the internet in addition to wireless. This is by far the most difficult, expensive and time consuming set up. However, once it is complete it is the best, but not recommended without a little basic networking and knowledge of home repair.

The easiest and cheapest solution would be to buy a wireless router with the modem. hook it up and configure, then just play your ps3 on wireless. Chances are since you have cable internet even your wireless speeds will be good enough to not really affect game play.
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

i call spam ^^
codekidd
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, SNES, NDS, Playstation
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by codekidd »

k1net1k wrote:i call spam ^^
now that you point it out, I agree.
dude has nothing in his profile and he asked pretty much the same question about 6 months ago..

Wasted effort on my part xD