Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Post by eatcomics »

jaybee wrote:You know, I'm not going to lie... as far as I can see, this forum is awesome. Most forums I read its just 100% flaming. But this forum seems like a nice community. I really appreciate the help the regulars here give the newbies. Just one helpful post after another after another. I hope I can help people newer than me as well as receive help. Thanks alot guys!
You aren't a kidding, these guys will help out anyone. I have to say its probably the best forum community I've been a part of.
codekidd
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, SNES, NDS, Playstation
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by codekidd »

Hello all! I've been lurking these forums for the past couple of days before stumbling upon this thread, so now taking the appropriate initiative of conforming to the societal norms of introducing myself.

I am relatively new to programming, but not to computers. I got my A+ and Network+ in high school and have worked as a technician and network admin since. I began dabbling in programming but never anything serious roughly a year ago, and now I am taking college courses in it. Naturally as a gamer myself I looked into game programming. I have no intention of becoming some sort of awesomely badass professional game developer. I joined simply to learn more about the subject and to further my programming education with it.

Cheers
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

codekidd wrote:Hello all! I've been lurking these forums for the past couple of days before stumbling upon this thread, so now taking the appropriate initiative of conforming to the societal norms of introducing myself.

I am relatively new to programming, but not to computers. I got my A+ and Network+ in high school and have worked as a technician and network admin since. I began dabbling in programming but never anything serious roughly a year ago, and now I am taking college courses in it. Naturally as a gamer myself I looked into game programming. I have no intention of becoming some sort of awesomely badass professional game developer. I joined simply to learn more about the subject and to further my programming education with it.

Cheers
Cheers. And with that crash bandicoot avatar you have now earned the right to call yourself "one of us"
TLcipher
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by TLcipher »

Hello World!

I'm a student from the UK currently studying physics and maths. -o-o-

I've been watching gyrovorbis' videos for a little over a year now, and finally decided to make an account here! They were a big inspiration for me to learn SDL and OpenGL, so I could try to make my own games. I've known C++ for a while but only recently really started getting into those two libraries. At the moment I'm working on an asteroids clone :)

Thanks guys! :cheers:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC

Post by dandymcgee »

TLcipher wrote:Hello World!

I'm a student from the UK currently studying physics and maths. -o-o-

I've been watching gyrovorbis' videos for a little over a year now, and finally decided to make an account here! They were a big inspiration for me to learn SDL and OpenGL, so I could try to make my own games. I've known C++ for a while but only recently really started getting into those two libraries. At the moment I'm working on an asteroids clone :)

Thanks guys! :cheers:
Sweet, welcome aboard.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
StackOfBits
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: None
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Xbox 360, GameBoy Color
Programming Language of Choice: C, C++

Post by StackOfBits »

Hello :3

My name is Oliver, and I am a 14 year old boy from Denmark. I've programmed since I was about 9 years old, but it has always been in the .NET, or web aspect. I am self-taught, because I really have no heart for tutorials in general. I mean, I'd like to read a book about a subject, but not a tutorial, hehe. So I read other peoples code, and from there I learned stuff like pointers, references, functions etc. (documentations are helpful of course, and they have explained a lot when it comes to OOP).
ANYWAY, sidetrack. I currently have a job where I develop websites, and I am very happy for having that opportunity :) I have programmed in C++ before, but not really outside the DOS borders :lol:.

I like to play games, and I do that a lot. I've been having a hard time with my motivation, because I have no friends (yes I have friends, please keep reading :roll:) who really understands what I am saying if I want to talk about anything programmer-related. It's kinda annoying, especially because every time I finish something they're like "oh, what's so special? It has been done before :P", which.. kinda annoys me.

My absolute dream is to become a game programmer.

I guess that's it.. Kinda :)

I'm looking forward to meet new people!

Thx, Oliver.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Hey Oliver! Sounds like you got an early start. Stay motivated and don't be afraid to try new things, you might surprise yourself.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
StackOfBits
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by StackOfBits »

Thanks, trying to stay motivated as hard as I can :D
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

StackOfBits wrote:Thanks, trying to stay motivated as hard as I can :D
forever alone. Motivation is a bitch xD
StackOfBits
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by StackOfBits »

Haha, yeah :D
DStudios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: 2D RPG
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES, N64, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Genesis
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by DStudios »

Hello, I just recently joined this forum. I have been programming for a few years now. The first line of code I ever wrote was in actionscript which is also when I started developing games. Now, about 3 years later, I am learning c++.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

DStudios wrote:Hello, I just recently joined this forum. I have been programming for a few years now. The first line of code I ever wrote was in actionscript which is also when I started developing games. Now, about 3 years later, I am learning c++.
Welcome to the forums. ActionScript is neat stuff, it's cool that you've found your way to C++ as well.
DStudios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by DStudios »

dandymcgee wrote:
DStudios wrote:Hello, I just recently joined this forum. I have been programming for a few years now. The first line of code I ever wrote was in actionscript which is also when I started developing games. Now, about 3 years later, I am learning c++.
Welcome to the forums. ActionScript is neat stuff, it's cool that you've found your way to C++ as well.
Thanks. So far I'm liking the forums. So far I have not got into anything that complicated in C++, but I'm getting started anyway.
StackOfBits
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by StackOfBits »

Welcome to the forums :)
DStudios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by DStudios »

StackOfBits wrote:Welcome to the forums :)
Thanks.