So I'm pretty drunk...

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

So I'm pretty drunk...

Post by Falco Girgis »

And rewatching the Adventures in Game Development, because I'm just that much of malignantly narcissistic bastard...

Not really, I'm studying. The team has been slaving away for an entire week straight (I've been living at Starbucks every day). We are all suuuuper fucking excited for this. I've never looked forward to recording a video as much as this one.

Any last minute requests? Speak now or forever hold your peace.
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: So I'm pretty drunk...

Post by JaxDragon »

Release a demo along with it.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

I know its hard but most of the videos are either
"This is what we've got done in ES"
or
"This is how we did this in ES"

Try and have its like
Part 1- Physics
Part 2- Physics explained
Part 3- Game objects
Part 4- Component system explained

Physics and whatnot are just examples but for me I think it would be nice to see if you can mix ES progress with technical nerdy stuff. ;)
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

I think the general populous would like to hear about as many aspects of the game as possible(website, graphics, sound, programming). I personally want to be edumakated, so if there's a topic that's been rattling around or a particular set of challenges, I'd certainly like to hear what they were and how you whooped their ass. :D
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

Trask wrote:I think the general populous would like to hear about as many aspects of the game as possible(website, graphics, sound, programming). I personally want to be edumakated, so if there's a topic that's been rattling around or a particular set of challenges, I'd certainly like to hear what they were and how you whooped their ass. :D
Agreed.
To be honest I think ES Revolution 2 was perfect minus the techical nerdy details.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Trask wrote:I think the general populous would like to hear about as many aspects of the game as possible(website, graphics, sound, programming). I personally want to be edumakated, so if there's a topic that's been rattling around or a particular set of challenges, I'd certainly like to hear what they were and how you whooped their ass. :D
Definitely.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

+1 to everything Trask said.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

PETER!!!!!!!!!!! <- lol

in all seriousness I liked seeing the split between you and arce working on the jointassetio debug stuff, in chapter 17 don't know why but seeing it side by side was pretty cool
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

I love the technical details, especially systems design (I watched the bit at 5:21 in video 3 of AiGD 17 many many times). I think it worked really well to split up your video into bite size parts, as you had it last time, that were relatively easy to navigate. I enjoyed being able to identify particular sections of the video (eg. Dual Threat Studios talking about Unity).

Personally, I'm all for more systems: AssetIO, Component-Entity, Scripting, etc; and really just seeing how it all comes together. That's my 2 cents.

Also, I've got to agree with others that ES Rev 2 and AiGD 17 were great. Despite my craving for more technical stuff, I think you guys were striking a pretty good balance between the technical and purely fun stuff. Maybe you could have an extra technical section at the end if there's more you want to talk about it. I'd definitely be into that and I'm sure there are others who would be as well.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

N64vSNES wrote:
Agreed.
To be honest I think ES Revolution 2 was perfect minus the technical nerdy details.
So which part are you agreeing with? He also said he liked to be educated and hearing about things that challenged us--which would definitely wind up being technical, nerdy details.

Chapter 17 was actually a very awkward time in the project. It was not our goal to return back to an editor/engine-only style video. We just did not have a very large amount of "creative" stuff to show off.

Chapter 18 is going to have the MOST creative (and technical) stuff and to show off of any other dev video. As far as content, it will probably wind up being a mix of ESRev2's "full dev spectrum" with AiGD17's extremely technical side. Oh... and some other surprises... lots of surprises. ;)
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Damn. I'm excited XD
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

EccentricDuck wrote:Maybe you could have an extra technical section at the end if there's more you want to talk about it. I'd definitely be into that and I'm sure there are others who would be as well.
Key word here is end. If you've ever look at the view count Falco, it's quite apparent the difference in views on the first video vs. the last video, although some of that is probably rewatches while waiting for release of next parts. It's sad but inevitable that some viewers won't make it to the end, so let's try to keep technical surprises toward the last few parts. This also forces hard-core techies to make it through the whole thing. :twisted:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

dandymcgee wrote:
EccentricDuck wrote:Maybe you could have an extra technical section at the end if there's more you want to talk about it. I'd definitely be into that and I'm sure there are others who would be as well.
Key word here is end. If you've ever look at the view count Falco, it's quite apparent the difference in views on the first video vs. the last video, although some of that is probably rewatches while waiting for release of next parts. It's sad but inevitable that some viewers won't make it to the end, so let's try to keep technical surprises toward the last few parts. This also forces hard-core techies to make it through the whole thing. :twisted:
Well I rewatch the first ones more than the late ones, because when I watch I watch all the way through, and I often times don't get all the way through, then I start over :P
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Yeah, I wasn't dissing the hardcore technical stuff, I prefer it actually... but I also like to add an object 2 cents beyond my own desires for the betterment of the ES community which is to show over the whole spectrum of this project. Sounds great, I can't wait :D
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
thbp
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Learn
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC/PS/GC/DC
Programming Language of Choice: C(++)/Perl

Post by thbp »

falco edjucation? anyone? haha

But yes I would rather like to listen you talk about physics and the math part of the project in a video that actually is quite entertaining to me. Maybe like a lil game play (real game play) would be nice..
that is all.
XNA ========== eXtreme Nuclear Atomic
Wrestlers have three motion: side 2 side , circle, and stalk