C++0x standard

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Singleton
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C\++,x86\64 assembly

C++0x standard

Post by Singleton »

I'm curious to know what you guys think of the new C++ standard currently under development. What are the good and bad aspects of it and how is it going to change our programming methods?
What a funny looking child... Wait, it's a dog!
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: C++0x standard

Post by ismetteren »

I have skimmed through the article on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B0x) and TBH there was a lot of stuff i didn't understand. Lamda expressions sounds pretty cool, so do the shared pointers in the standard library(even though i think boost already has them).
Something i didn't fully understand, but sounds pretty cool nonetheless is the increased support for multi-threaded programs.

I would like to know what someone who knows more about C++ than i do think about it.
Image ImageImage Image
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: C++0x standard

Post by Falco Girgis »

I'm honestly not too excited or interested... When you consider how many compilers already exist for platforms that will never support the standard and the fact that these new features will never be supported, it seems not worth my while. That has always been one of the problems with C/++. The languages have always needed to support legacy code, making it extremely hard to add new features to the language...